Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 AM

104 posts, read 149,370 times

Advertisements

I have become incredibly frustrated since my child has turned 18. She's had some mental health issues and she's worked the system to the point that if she wants to get away from us - she'll have herself admitted - refuse to see us and then once released she just roam the streets. She has put herself in increasing danger with each incident. Anyone else dealing with something like this? Getting power of attorney would help us in getting her the proper treatment but would that help in other situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 AM

25,788 posts, read 21,942,589 times
Does your child have a case manager and did you discuss what was going to happen after the child turned 18 years old? I don't understand what you mean by saying she worked the system. She is an adult and everything does change at that point. Unless she can be proven incompetent, I doubt there will be a lot that you can do. Did the problems just surface when she turned 18?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Is she still in school?

If so, does she have an IEP?

If so, you (and she) should have, prior to the year she turned 18, have received information on transfer of rights, which is different than obtaining power of attorney. Be aware that not all states do transfer of rights for the disabled at the age of majority, some set it anywhere from 18-21. Legal Aid consultation can probably help provide you with any information and resources you may need in terms of your legal rights in keeping your daughter safe. This information may also be helpful:

Age of Majority — National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM

104 posts, read 149,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Does your child have a case manager and did you discuss what was going to happen after the child turned 18 years old? I don't understand what you mean by saying she worked the system. She is an adult and everything does change at that point. Unless she can be proven incompetent, I doubt there will be a lot that you can do. Did the problems just surface when she turned 18?
You don't know of bipolar people who work the system - Before she was 18 the keywords like "harm self" "suicidal thoughts" to extend her stay at the mental health facility. I thank God that she has not ever acted upon those keywords. Since turning 18 - she's had herself admitted and then later deemed ok and then released. But during the stay she'll refuse to see us. When released we don't know where she goes. The last incident I ended up in a shady part of town pulling her out of some sleazy hotel room. These problems started 5 years ago and have progressively gotten worse.

IEP - she had for schooling purposes I didn't know about other purposes for an IEP other than for schooling. She's actually a pretty good student. She graduated HS back in 2011 and is she's in her 2nd year at a local college. This most recent incident took place right after the last day of the semester before Christmas break.

She was diagnosed with MS when she was 11. Lupus at the age of 15 and on top of all that she was diagnosed as having bipolar depression. She's got a lot on her plate and her mother and I are just trying to make she is safe. When she is released and doesn't come home for days means missing doses of MS and Lupus meds. There's nothing like being scared waiting for a knock on the door with bad news or waiting for the phone call.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:42 PM

17 posts, read 33,743 times
I have been told that once a child turns 18, you need to apply to become their legal guardian so that you can still control their health care, etc. Look into that and see if it would help.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

449 posts, read 1,695,939 times
An alternative is to get power of atty for health and or finances. We've lived in some states where that was more common for special need adults. I believe it was less expensive but it can vary by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children