Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times

Advertisements

He is only 3 years old and I mean to leave him at home.

However, I found on the letter from the school district he was invited to attend the meeting. There is a question saying: Is XXX(son's name) invited to join in the meeting? And they tickled the box of yes instead of no in the answers below.

In the case, shall I bring my son with me?

We have finished the evaluation from the school district. Thanks for any reply in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 AM

17 posts, read 18,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
He is only 3 years old and I mean to leave him at home.

However, I found on the letter from the school district he was invited to attend the meeting. There is a question saying: Is XXX(son's name) invited to join in the meeting? And they tickled the box of yes instead of no in the answers below.

In the case, shall I bring my son with me?

We have finished the evaluation from the school district. Thanks for any reply in advance.
I would leave your son at home. If they hadn't finished the evaluation, then yes, they obviously need him; but since you said the school district finished the evaluation, his presence at the meeting isn't necessary. I've attended several IEP meetings and it's difficult to concentrate on the results of the evaluation and plan his IEP accordingly. IEP meetings can last well over an hour, so for his sake and yours, leave him with a family member or babysitter.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM

447 posts, read 321,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTransplant1 View Post
I would leave your son at home. If they hadn't finished the evaluation, then yes, they obviously need him; but since you said the school district finished the evaluation, his presence at the meeting isn't necessary. I've attended several IEP meetings and it's difficult to concentrate on the results of the evaluation and plan his IEP accordingly. IEP meetings can last well over an hour, so for his sake and yours, leave him with a family member or babysitter.
Thank you for your kind reply. I will phone the school first to make sure it does not matter without his presence and then leave him with his grandparents.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
Thank you for your kind reply. I will phone the school first to make sure it does not matter without his presence and then leave him with his grandparents.
I would not bring a 3 year old unless this is a visit to the classroom for him to play while you talk, but when he is older, then you may want to bring him and have his input on things.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
IMHO, 3-year-olds and meetings never go together.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
As a special education teacher, I tend to recommend that students attend their own meetings when/if they are in a position to/prefer to advocate for themselves and provide input. At three, I wouldn't recommend it (nor would I discourage a parent from bringing the child if they had limited childcare options).

Old 03-23-2014, 08:47 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I remember bringing my son to a meeting at that age...sometimes I feel like it helps to put a "face" with the case file. Sometimes it's easy for the human aspect to get lost in all that paperwork, and your kid simply becomes another name or number in the system.

I encouraged my now 13 year old to sit in on several meetings and ask questions/offer suggestions on accommodations. I guess it all depends on how you think things are going to go, how old the child is, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children