Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times

Advertisements

My 9yr old son has an IEP that the school set up and maintains. We have regular meetings to go over the IEP. It basically says his diagnosis and what measures the school is doing to help, as well as where he is behavior/school wise.

An example might be:
ADHD
On same level with peers
Needs instructions read aloud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 04:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Emails do not help. You must request the evaluation in writing and deliver it to the school (I would not even trust the snail mail at this point).

In general, a 504 will not work as well for asd. Sometimes it will, but that is rare.
Since your district sounds a little "screwy". It is even better to deliver your written request directly to the Central Administrative Office of the school district. Ask that they date stamp it in front of you and request a photocopy of the date stamped page. That is when the 60 or 90 day timeline starts.

If it is date stamped and you have a copy they can't "pretend" that they lost it or that it wasn't an official request. I agree that phone calls and emails are usually not considered "official requests" from the perspective of the school.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:53 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If it is date stamped and you have a copy they can't "pretend" that they lost it or that it wasn't an official request. I agree that phone calls and emails are usually not considered "official requests" from the perspective of the school.
You could send it certified mail or hand it in and get a stamp as poster mentioned above. We have to do this for our Homeschool Notification.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 PM

66 posts, read 93,426 times
Actually it is now already state level. I sent complaint to the state that the school did not help my son.
A hearing with third party attorney is set up for this week.
It sounds that my position is pretty weak because I did not submit written request.
I submitted psychological evaluation in February, medical diagnosis in March.
First IEP meeting was hold April 29. That time I started to learn about special education.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondtree2010 View Post
Actually it is now already state level. I sent complaint to the state that the school did not help my son.
It sounds that my position is pretty weak because I did not submit written request.
First IEP meeting was hold April 29. That time I started to learn about special education.
You will not get anything out of this kind of meeting, imo. Do you have your own attorney? If you are at due process, you need one because the school will have their own.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:57 PM

It is not due process. I showed the complaint to an attorney before I submitted it to the state and she mentioned she would sit with me during the mediation.
I only wanted my son to be able to start studying again . Home schooling is not an option because I am single mother with four children, working and studying at college at the same time..
The school did not help with home bound either. I did not know about IEP, 504 and so on. I only wanted my son to go back to school ASAP.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:58 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondtree2010 View Post
The written request is have your child evaluated. If you already had an IEP meeting at some point previous to that date you must have signed a consent form for your son to be evaluated. Bring along copies of everything that the district sent to you, copies of what you gave the district and copies of your emails.

I am so sorry that this is happening to you and your child. Most school districts handle issues like this much better than your district did. Some districts even have parent advocates who work with parents on explaining the entire process.

Did you receive some type of handbook or guidebook from your district? It was probably called something like "A Parent's Guide to Special Education" or "Parent's Rights" or "Special Education Regulations for Parents"? In my state a parent receives a copy of this at several different points in the initial IEP evaluation process (and at least once a year from then on if you child is in special education). This type of handbook explains everything about the various procedures.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
But it sounds like if she already had an IEP meeting, the child did not meet criteria? How do you have an IEP without an evaluation?
As a former sped teacher, I know we had an IEP AFTER the request and an evaluation took place.

What was the first IEP for if not for eligibility determination?
how old is the child?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 PM

exactly, everything is so weird. The school denied evaluation.
It was social anxieties and depressions. So it fell under emotional difficulties.
Now, I have another private assessment done, and the diagnosis is autism spectrum.

The district is under state investigation now.

The child is 13 years old. We lived in Japan until last year.
For long years, he did not get proper assessment because of language barrier.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
language barrier in Japan?

I still do not understand how there was an IEP without an evaluation, The meeting normally follows the eval.
Did they do a psych eval since he had anxiety issues?

Where I taught, a request for a meeting didnt even need to be in writing anymore.The new rules said a verbal request had to be documented and the process started.
I'm not sure what to advise because I'm confused how there was a meeting with nothing having happened prior.
Was it maybe a meeting to give consent to evaluate, where you would have had to sign papers to evaluate, and they said they felt he didnt need to be evaluated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children