Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 02:51 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

My oldest son was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. He did not speak untill age 4, when we began to get him involved in descreet education. We fought hard over the years to get him the special services he needed. It has never been easy, but the progress he has made is amazing. He is now in High School and doing very well with a 3.8 GPA. He is a wonderfull person, and helps me to be a better person daily. The people we have met over the years who dedicate their lives to Special Needs children have inspired us and shown us a degree of compassion and genuine goodness I had never seen in people before. The Challenger League sports teams we have been involved with over the years have been a real inspiration, you will never see a more dedicated, loving, group of parents or a happier group of children. The path we have traveled over the years is not the one I would have chosen if I were given the choice many years ago, I have had to learn to accept my son as he is and not the way I wanted him to be, but it has been a wonderful experience and one that has given my life more meaning than I could imagine. To learn to celebrate the small things and to see human beings struggle with life with so much heart and courage it often makes us cry, it forces you to see what really matters in life.

Last edited by jimhcom; 10-20-2007 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
What a lovely thread. I am so happy about your sons progress. And I thank you for sharing the good things that can come from such a situation. It's something a lot of people can learn from.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm a day late and a dollar short, but it came at just the right time for me.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,375,821 times
Thank you for sharing. Those of us with younger kids need to hear the good things instead of just the bad. Sounds like you have a great kid, congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children