Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

I over heard a woman in the line at the store saying "Those children are so special (and she was referencing a downs syndrome baby) and she was saying 'Just think one day we wont have those defective genes " and they will be able to fix that . I was floored and angry and I turned around and told her , who says they are defective ? who says they need to fix that as you put it , then she had the nerve to say "they are not normal " . I asked her what is normal ? who are the normal police ? . I told her I had a down syndrome brother he lived to be 25 yrs old before he started having health problem and I mean bad ones and he unfortunately passed away and we still miss and I don't believe there was a sweet soul on this earth . I told her I think you should spend some time volunteering for something dealing with down syndrome kids I hope she takes my advice and does so . I think it will do a world of good for her . I mean what is it with people and their thinking ? I cannot fathom someone thinking like that . I tend to get angry when stuff like that is said .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Down syndrome absolutely IS a genetic defect. Down syndrome - Mayo Clinic

Down syndrome is a genetic disorder caused when abnormal cell division results in extra genetic material from chromosome 21. This genetic disorder, which varies in severity, causes lifelong intellectual disability and developmental delays, and in some people it causes health problems.
Down syndrome is the most common genetic chromosomal disorder and cause of learning disabilities in children.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Sorry about your personal story, but having down syndrome is NOT normal and it IS a genetic defect. And wouldn't it have been awesome if they fixed that and your brother would have been able to live longer?

I don't understand your anger. Your pain, yes, but not your anger. She did not say or mean it in a bad way.

BTW you are posting in the forum "special needs children" and not "normal needs children"

Old 10-22-2015, 10:54 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Well, technically people with DS have a duplicate chromosome, but the chromosomes themselves are "normal" - it's just the replication which leads to the typical traits of DS, not all of which necessarily appear in a given individual. There are various kinds of DS, too, including mosaic Down syndrome, in which intelligence may not be adversely affected.

OP, I'm sorry the woman you encountered was ill-informed and insensitive. Perhaps in the future, you can use such encounters as opportunities to educate others about DS, as there is still so little awareness of the potential and variety of people with this condition. I expect many would be surprised to learn that various (not all) people with DS not only have jobs, but attend college, drive, marry, and live fulfilling, happy lives.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Maybe someday we'll have true neurodiversity as an accepted concept.

That would change many conversations and open all sorts of doors for people who were "born this way."

Old 11-09-2015, 05:52 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
We have a son with Down syndrome that we adopted when he was 4 weeks old. I understand why the OP was upset especially since she lost her brother at such a young age.

The only one with the defect was the woman making the comment loud enough for others to hear about her thoughts on "normal". She was "normal" and that just supports my thought that "normal" is overrated. "Normal" has a range.

My son is medication free, not on drugs, no criminal record, is planning any massacre of other individuals, and a lot of parents of "normal" kids can't say that.
So?

Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 AM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
Down Syndrome is not "normal" but it is life it happens.

I don't know how real this is since I saw almost the exact same since on a show on abc family.
I do believe if many pregnant women had the option to change the outcome their child might have they would.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:14 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
Down Syndrome is not "normal" but it is life it happens.

I don't know how real this is since I saw almost the exact same since on a show on abc family.
I do believe if many pregnant women had the option to change the outcome their child might have they would.
Sadly, many women do change the outcome by choosing to abort the baby. That is what troubles me the most. Every negative story or incident in the media makes it more likely.

Adoption is the best option. There is a group that facilitates adoptions for babies/children with Down syndrome and they have a list with lots of names across the US of families that have completed their homestudies and are just waiting for a call about a baby/child that they can add to their family: National Down Syndrome Adoption Network I know for a fact that this agency is a good service for parents considering placing their child.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I over heard a woman in the line at the store saying "Those children are so special (and she was referencing a downs syndrome baby) and she was saying 'Just think one day we wont have those defective genes " and they will be able to fix that . I was floored and angry and I turned around and told her , who says they are defective ? who says they need to fix that as you put it , then she had the nerve to say "they are not normal " . I asked her what is normal ? who are the normal police ? . I told her I had a down syndrome brother he lived to be 25 yrs old before he started having health problem and I mean bad ones and he unfortunately passed away and we still miss and I don't believe there was a sweet soul on this earth . I told her I think you should spend some time volunteering for something dealing with down syndrome kids I hope she takes my advice and does so . I think it will do a world of good for her . I mean what is it with people and their thinking ? I cannot fathom someone thinking like that . I tend to get angry when stuff like that is said .
Sorry for your loss of your brother...But, I think you personalized a strangers comment because of your experience with your brother.

I took this comment as I would a comment about wishing there wasn't illnesses like polio or TB.

Downs syndrome is not a desired situation, it is very hard on children and families...it does not mean we don't love them, adore them, or wish they didn't exist. But, being angry because someone wished that we could cure this is not a horrible attack on down syndrome children imo.

Would you begrudge someone the ability to save their child from this. After all we have ongoing research and programs trying to prevent birth defects, March of Dimes one example...In my mind there would be nothing negative about what she said, especially since she was not talking to you...just that you are understandably hypersensitive.

I think you may need to talk to someone about your brother, and grieve his loss. It is devastating to lose a sibling....

Old 11-11-2015, 10:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have a son with Down syndrome that we adopted when he was 4 weeks old. I understand why the OP was upset especially since she lost her brother at such a young age.

The only one with the defect was the woman making the comment loud enough for others to hear about her thoughts on "normal". She was "normal" and that just supports my thought that "normal" is overrated. "Normal" has a range.

My son is medication free, not on drugs, no criminal record, is planning any massacre of other individuals, and a lot of parents of "normal" kids can't say that.
So?
Defensive....You need to work on acceptance, so that your child can be the best that he can be. Educate him about his disorder, give him positive guidance....not negative and defensive modeling. That serves no purpose that will help him long term.

Last edited by JanND; 11-11-2015 at 10:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children