Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,495 times

Advertisements

I'm from New Jersey but thinking of moving to Florida in the future possibly Orlando, Tampa or Kissimmee...not to sure yet out of the three . But my dilemma is that my son was diagnosed when he was 2 1/2 yrs old with high functioning autism. At the time he had no language at all only pointed at the things he wanted and his social skills were non existent. He's now 5 yrs old and is doing amazing has been in the public school system since he was 3 in a self contained classroom with 1 head teacher and 3 assistants and 5 other kids in his class with him. He had improved so much that last year for preschool they began mainstreaming him with regular Ed students which helped improve his social skills tremendously and now In kindergarten they will begin his mainstreaming soon. My main concern is that him having such a great improvement will be hindered if I were to make the move to Florida. I've seen a few things about their programs for autistic children but they weren't as good as what he's receiving now. I'm just very conflicted and worried that he'll go backwards in his journey and I want to make sure my son will receive the best . I also have not been able to find anything on how elementary and high schools are there for special Ed and I know here in Jersey there are many different types of options for high school and they have already put in place the program for middle school. I'm not looking to move anytime soon but I would like to know my options and make sure it's a smart move for my son .
Someone please help me I know Florida has a lot to offer I just want to make sure the type of school I need for my son offers just as much if not more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 08:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
You are right to worry. FL schools in many, if not most areas, don't come close to what NJ offers. We lived in both states. My son had an IEP, and it was accepted, and followed in FL, but his was a learning disability, and not reliant on heavy intervention.

You might want to reach out to the Dan Marino Center for Autism in Weston FL. It's nowhere near Orlando, but they might be able to give you information on various districts in the state.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,595,511 times
FL is the worst state for SPED, in my opinion.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_a1991 View Post
I'm from New Jersey but thinking of moving to Florida in the future possibly Orlando, Tampa or Kissimmee...not to sure yet out of the three . But my dilemma is that my son was diagnosed when he was 2 1/2 yrs old with high functioning autism. At the time he had no language at all only pointed at the things he wanted and his social skills were non existent. He's now 5 yrs old and is doing amazing has been in the public school system since he was 3 in a self contained classroom with 1 head teacher and 3 assistants and 5 other kids in his class with him. He had improved so much that last year for preschool they began mainstreaming him with regular Ed students which helped improve his social skills tremendously and now In kindergarten they will begin his mainstreaming soon. My main concern is that him having such a great improvement will be hindered if I were to make the move to Florida. I've seen a few things about their programs for autistic children but they weren't as good as what he's receiving now. I'm just very conflicted and worried that he'll go backwards in his journey and I want to make sure my son will receive the best . I also have not been able to find anything on how elementary and high schools are there for special Ed and I know here in Jersey there are many different types of options for high school and they have already put in place the program for middle school. I'm not looking to move anytime soon but I would like to know my options and make sure it's a smart move for my son .
Someone please help me I know Florida has a lot to offer I just want to make sure the type of school I need for my son offers just as much if not more
NO, do not move to Florida.

This is where Alex Barton was voted out of his kindergarten class and the teacher is still teaching (though she is in a different school and grade). He did get a large settlement, but seriously you do not want your child subjected to this kind of abuse.

https://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010...ted-out/11511/

Here is one about an autistic adult being abused in a group home in Orlando

Investigation underway after video surfaces of employees... | www.wftv.com

Kissimmee teacher's aide abuses a 6 year old special needs student.

Kissimmee teacher's aide arrested for shaking special needs student

Old 11-20-2015, 08:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
I'm not sure your reasons for wanting to move to Florida but you might need to put your sons education first. If he is getting a good education being special needs, count your blessings. We had to take our kids out of public all together and put them in private because of the terrible special Ed offered in our state (pretty much non-exisitant). My sons teacher even told me he deserved to be bullied because he wasn't as emotionally mature ad the other kids.

I say, don't risk it. Not to mention the big move and change might set him back in itself.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
My daughter is special needs (PDD-NOS, moderate intellectual disability, ADHD) and intially started school in NY state. NYS had GREAT special education resources and programs. My career was leading toward Kentucky, and prior to moving, we checked into the school district's special education programs. The school district we were planning on moving to did not have a robust program, but we did find a district which did have a great program and moved there. We also found a program at the university specifically for children with autism. Sometimes the area you are going to will have additional programs for your child's particular needs, so check into that as well. Look into the surrounding areas of your destination; you may have a further commute but it will be worth it for a better school district and access to programs that he needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children