Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 07:24 AM

493 posts, read 511,621 times

Advertisements

What are some special things you are doing to help your children who have autism become a more self -sufficient adult who could venture out in the world. Besides the school services (speech, ot, and ABA).
My sister and I are always researching but there isn't much to show it actually works or to know if the reviews are true. Between the special diets, special clothes, special massages it can be overwhelming. What extra things do you do for your children that you feel are working? Or extra therapies you do and classes ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Obviously different things may work for different children. Or a program may work very well for a child when they are three or four but not when they are teenagers. Or a program may work well if the parents follow through on home therapy or the parenting aspect of the program but it may completely fail if they do not follow through.

Before you "try something new" I would recommend that you discuss it with professionals who know your child well, their special education teacher, their therapists and their pediatrician.

I am a retired early childhood special education teacher. About 15 years ago there was a new program in my area for autism that involved some type of auditory programming/therapy. The parents of one of my students was interested in this program but it cost perhaps $3,000 for several in-depth, intensive sessions and was not covered by insurance. Both the child's speech therapist & I felt that, while this program may help some children with autism he clearly did not appear to fit the criteria where he would benefit. The speech therapist explained to the parents that the program was designed for children with specific speech & language needs/characteristics and their child did not have those specific needs.

Well, the parents disagreed with the therapist, put their child on the waiting list, borrowed the money from the grandparents and had the child do the therapy. And, nothing changed for the child. The parents became very, very out spoken about this program and told everybody, especially people in the local autism support groups, that it was a scam and a fraud.

Sadly, this may have meant that children who actually met the criteria and who could have benefited from this therapy did not get the therapy because of how vehemently those parents insisted that it was a worthless therapy.

The autism spectrum is so wide, and the children so varied that what does amazing things for one child may do absolutely nothing for a different child and may even cause regression in a third child. I have had children in my classroom with autism with IQs that are so low they can not even be accurately measured and others with IQs well into the gifted range. I have worked with students, with autism, who were completely non-verbal, barely able to feed themselves at age four and had students, with autism, who were also four, reading at the fourth grade level.

While it is great to get ideas from other parents please investigate & evaluate how that program/therapy/diet/whatever would work for your specific child.

So. I strongly recommend that before you try someone new, especially "amazing, miracle cures" or new medications or supplements or strict programs, please discuss them with the people who know your child and their skills the best.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-17-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
You can read about different therapies here:

"Front Matter | Educating Children with Autism | The National Academies Press

This book covers many different therapies for children with autism and the research basis for each one.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Obviously different things may work for different children. Or a program may work very well for a child when they are three or four but not when they are teenagers. Or a program may work well if the parents follow through on home therapy or the parenting aspect of the program but it may completely fail if they do not follow through.

Before you "try something new" I would recommend that you discuss it with professionals who know your child well, their special education teacher, their therapists and their pediatrician.

I am a retired early childhood special education teacher. About 15 years ago there was a new program in my area for autism that involved some type of auditory programming/therapy. The parents of one of my students was interested in this program but it cost perhaps $3,000 for several in-depth, intensive sessions and was not covered by insurance. Both the child's speech therapist & I felt that, while this program may help some children with autism he clearly did not appear to fit the criteria where he would benefit. The speech therapist explained to the parents that the program was designed for children with specific speech & language needs/characteristics and their child did not have those specific needs.

Well, the parents disagreed with the therapist, put their child on the waiting list, borrowed the money from the grandparents and had the child do the therapy. And, nothing changed for the child. The parents became very, very out spoken about this program and told everybody, especially people in the local autism support groups, that it was a scam and a fraud.

Sadly, this may have meant that children who actually met the criteria and who could have benefited from this therapy did not get the therapy because of how vehemently those parents insisted that it was a worthless therapy.

The autism spectrum is so wide, and the children so varied that what does amazing things for one child may do absolutely nothing for a different child and may even cause regression in a third child. I have had children in my classroom with autism with IQs that are so low they can not even be accurately measured and others with IQs well into the gifted range. I have worked with students, with autism, who were completely non-verbal, barely able to feed themselves at age four and had students, with autism, who were also four, reading at the fourth grade level.

While it is great to get ideas from other parents please investigate & evaluate how that program/therapy/diet/whatever would work for your specific child.

So. I strongly recommend that before you try someone new, especially "amazing, miracle cures" or new medications or supplements or strict programs, please discuss them with the people who know your child and their skills the best.

Good luck to you.

Excellent advice!! No two children/adults with autism are alike!

--Grandmother of a 13 year-old grandson with autism

Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 822 times
Default Float tanks?

Has anyone heard of flotation tanks as therapeutic for those on the spectrum? Instinctively, because of the magnesium sulfate "soak" and also the possible mitigation of symptoms related to excessive external stimuli, I feel like it would be beneficial. Has anyone tried the tanks for therapy? What accommodations would be necessary for it to be successful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children