Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times

Advertisements

I'm volunteering with a refugee family. The mother is a lovely woman (the father has been working, so I have not met him) - smart and brave and loving. She has two young sons, the older of whom is autistic. He's nonverbal (lost the words he knew as he grew older) at the age of 5, but he's really aware of what's going on around him. He loves bags and boxes and rummaging through pockets and such. He comes off as very calm but just focused on something only he thinks is important.

The family is learning English rapidly and working with special education experts, but I'd like to be more educated on the issue. What are the best books or resources for autism this severe and with these symptoms? How do I know how much he understands given the language barrier and his lack of reaction? I've gotten the impression that children with nonverbal autism often understand more than you'd think.

I was thinking of digging out an old bag (I also love bags with lots of pockets, so he found my purse fascinating when I visited) and stuffing little "treasures" (candy, small toys) into the different compartments for him to fish out. My only concern is choking hazards, but he doesn't seem inclined to put things in his mouth.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Well, since autism affects people of a wide range of intellectual ability, there's really no way to generalize what is understood and what's not. I've worked with nonverbal people with autism with no intellectual impairment, whose understanding was not at all compromised despite their nonverbal status, and I've worked with very intellectually low-functioning nonverbal people with autism. Same as with any population, there's a range in terms of intellectual ability. The more you spend time with a nonverbal person, the more you'll get an idea from their actions and behavior, and observing things like problem-solving capability, reaction time, spatial reasoning, etc. how much of a given interaction or task he or she understands, and how much of a given type of behavior is more likely sensory response, versus intellectual comprehension.

Since he shows an interest for manipulating and exploring objects, there are lots of activity toys, and even functional tasks, that might fit the bill. Letting him help pack and unpack groceries, for instance, is one way to put a preferred activity to use in a functional way and gives him the chance to participate in a life skill. Sorting and putting away laundry, silverware, etc. are all easy ways to teach functional skills while entertaining him with something he already enjoys.

With nonverbal children (especially young ones), finding a way that DOES work to communicate is key, because tantrums are very frequently in response to the frustration of not being able to effectively communicate.

A modified version of PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System, lots of info on this can be easily looked up online) can be helpful for small children, and though it's a specific therapy, you can informally use its principles by supplying pictures of things that are frequently desired. A child who can learn to point to a picture of a glass of water is less likely to be frustrated when he or she is thirsty and has no way to tell you. You can put commonly used symbols in a flip book or binder (index cards in a recipe binder work well) or on a ring. If there is a language barrier, this is even better, since it relies on pictorial cues. Some children are skilled at learning simple sign, as well. It's really kind of a trial and error process.

Just some ideas for ways to connect and get to know the child and his strengths, off the top of my head.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:10 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well, since autism affects people of a wide range of intellectual ability, there's really no way to generalize what is understood and what's not. I've worked with nonverbal people with autism with no intellectual impairment, whose understanding was not at all compromised despite their nonverbal status, and I've worked with very intellectually low-functioning nonverbal people with autism. Same as with any population, there's a range in terms of intellectual ability. The more you spend time with a nonverbal person, the more you'll get an idea from their actions and behavior, and observing things like problem-solving capability, reaction time, spatial reasoning, etc. how much of a given interaction or task he or she understands, and how much of a given type of behavior is more likely sensory response, versus intellectual comprehension.

Since he shows an interest for manipulating and exploring objects, there are lots of activity toys, and even functional tasks, that might fit the bill. Letting him help pack and unpack groceries, for instance, is one way to put a preferred activity to use in a functional way and gives him the chance to participate in a life skill. Sorting and putting away laundry, silverware, etc. are all easy ways to teach functional skills while entertaining him with something he already enjoys.

With nonverbal children (especially young ones), finding a way that DOES work to communicate is key, because tantrums are very frequently in response to the frustration of not being able to effectively communicate.

A modified version of PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System, lots of info on this can be easily looked up online) can be helpful for small children, and though it's a specific therapy, you can informally use its principles by supplying pictures of things that are frequently desired. A child who can learn to point to a picture of a glass of water is less likely to be frustrated when he or she is thirsty and has no way to tell you. You can put commonly used symbols in a flip book or binder (index cards in a recipe binder work well) or on a ring. If there is a language barrier, this is even better, since it relies on pictorial cues. Some children are skilled at learning simple sign, as well. It's really kind of a trial and error process.

Just some ideas for ways to connect and get to know the child and his strengths, off the top of my head.
Hugely helpful. Thank you

I really like the picture idea - that was something I was thinking about, if pictures could help. Just wasn't sure how.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Hugely helpful. Thank you

I really like the picture idea - that was something I was thinking about, if pictures could help. Just wasn't sure how.
Pictures can be very helpful, but don't use a binder to start out. You can take pictures of objects you know he wants and likes and cut them down to 2 by 2 or 3 by 3. Start by doing this when you know he is thirsty or hungry - use a picture of the juice or food and have him get the picture and hand it to you before he gets the object. We usually teach this with two people so that the first person gets the picture and the second person helps him hand it over if he does not know how.

The whole system is complicated, but you can start with phase I and build on it if he seems to be taking to it.
With my grandson, we used pictures of real objects rather than abstract ones from the internet.

https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/pages/W...System-or-PECS

Old 04-28-2016, 08:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yes, we found it easiest to take pictures of the items actually used, versus stock images. Like, a picture of the child's toothbrush, not just any random toothbrush.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:59 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
You can download the book Educating Children with Autism here:

Educating Children with Autism | The National Academies Press (right hand side of the page)

It details all of the major research based strategies.

PECS is a great system. Like TabulaRasa says, take real pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children