U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM

13 posts, read 36,528 times

Advertisements

Please I need help finding a place with a great deaf and hard of hearing program for my 11 year old. He has other learning disabilities so it's alittle complicated. I live in Colorado right now and the program which is a charter school with bi lingual and bi cultural teaching is now going to be making major changes and I feel they' re not in the best interest of my child. I need a place where they also teach life skills and have good vocational training when he gets to high school. I just need a great community for our family that is more accepting of people who are deaf and hard of hearing. Plus this state has no money in budget and programs for special needs children. Please I am so stressed out and go from website to website trying to find a good place for my child....I also have a 16 yr and 14yr old who need a great school and a friendly place since they're willing to make this change for their brother. Please send as much info in your response as possible. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM

308 posts, read 1,473,100 times
Are you looking for a place near you in Colorado? Or are you looking to move whereever can meet your family's needs?

Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,276,839 times
A Deaf school will benefit them greatly. Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind -- Home Page

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 36,528 times
I will move for the best place for my son that is how I found this school it was great for 3 years but now has taken another direction which is a shame. I moved here from CA for this program. As for Colorado Springs School for the Deaf and Blind it is not a good choice of schools for what my son needs....he couldn't live at school and come home on weekends and I don't want to live in the Springs area not nice for what I read on line here and seen going to the school. Sorry.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:51 PM

8 posts, read 55,355 times
I just wanted to add that I am deaf and attended a deaf school for a few years before being placed back into a "normal" hearing school, which was rocky, but then I did great. I am now working on my Masters. I live in Texas and because of my hearing loss I get a wavier for my tuition which has really helped me through undergrad and graduate school. While in grade school the system tried to place me in special classes which made me fall behind. When I was in high school I dropped all programs and did much better. Point is keep very active in his school. Get a tutor to come to your home for Sign Lang or other school needs if needed. It sounds like you are already very involved, best of luck.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:17 PM

515 posts, read 1,390,047 times
I have a deaf son with moderate autism, so I feel your pain in looking for a proper education. My son attends Illinois School for the Deaf in Jacksonville, IL. It is a residential school, but there is also a day student option for students whose families are living in Jacksonville. Self-help, vocational and life skills are part of the education there.

| Illinois School for the Deaf |

(If you click on the Jr. High announcements for the 19th, you'll see my boy was student of the week last week! Not a great piture, but what'cha gonna do? Boys will be boys!)

A little background: My son just turned 14 yesterday. He has profound hearing loss bilaterally, and he also has autism. We are fortunate enough to be involved with not one, but two amazing programs. One is at Illinois School for the Deaf, and the other, The Hope Institute. My son is living in Springfield, IL, in a group home out in the community. He lives in a normal house with 4 other special needs boys. They eat, cook, shop, go to the movies, etc., just like a family would. He in boy scouts, and is considering a bowling league in the spring. The home is staffed 24 hours by qualified staff. From there, he is transported by an aide provided by our home school district to ISD, aobut 30 minutes away. The aide is his own personal one-on-one assistant, and stays with him throughout the day, transporting him back to Springfield after school. It's really an amazing partnership, and I know we are truly blessed to have so many people contributing to his education.

When he started at ISD two years ago, he was two years behind his class, mainly because no one here in the cornfields of IL knew how to teach him. He attended class at The Hope Institute (Hope School at the time) for two years. They are a residential school for children with multiple disabilities, but there were no other deaf kids there. With my permission, Hope contacted ISD to have him screened. It was the best thing that ever happened to him. His GPA is currently placing him on the honor roll. He is going to graduate from ISD Junior High this May, ON SCHEDULE! He will likely graduate ISD High School on schedule as well in 2012, when he will (ideally) move into his adult placement.

I hope this information is of use to you. Jacksonville is also the home of the Illinois School for the Visually Impaired. As such, the whole town is very friendly to those with unique needs.

Good luck to you!

~Danielle

Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,276,839 times
The Deaf community plays an important role in children who grow up in Deaf schools. It's not only a school, its a sense of community. I'm in my third year of Sign language and know quite a bit about Deaf culture. Mainstreaming your kids wouldn't be the best choice in your case.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times
trying to help my deaf friend find his own place, but he gets too little money from ssi to be able to afford an apartment. what can i do to help him? we live in rancho cucamonga ca.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aushco View Post
Please I need help finding a place with a great deaf and hard of hearing program for my 11 year old. He has other learning disabilities so it's alittle complicated. I live in Colorado right now and the program which is a charter school with bi lingual and bi cultural teaching is now going to be making major changes and I feel they' re not in the best interest of my child. I need a place where they also teach life skills and have good vocational training when he gets to high school. I just need a great community for our family that is more accepting of people who are deaf and hard of hearing. Plus this state has no money in budget and programs for special needs children. Please I am so stressed out and go from website to website trying to find a good place for my child....I also have a 16 yr and 14yr old who need a great school and a friendly place since they're willing to make this change for their brother. Please send as much info in your response as possible. Thanks for your help.
hi... i'm deaf .... i know about colorado ED school also i will help u about !

Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
hi... i'm looking get new friend deaf or hard of hearing also need something help for good things than i hope....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children