U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:00 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,476,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Sounds to me like you are being very pro-active...keep up the good work.
Thank you, we will. I just wish I had not listened/worried about what the other people would say if I fought for him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:52 AM

22 posts, read 76,895 times
Good for you, you definitely need to do everything you can for your kids even when it makes you unpopular. I have sat in too many IEP meetings as a teacher in which nothing seemed to get done for the child. Unfortunately, money plays a huge factor in our schools today, and the funding doesn't seem to be going to where it needs to be. If you ask me the whole system needs revamped. Everything is centered around "the test", kids are not always getting the services they need, and teachers are paid pennies. I did not go into teaching for the money, I went into it to make a difference. However, the system doesn't always allow you to make a difference.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM

515 posts, read 1,390,573 times
jimj, keep advocating! Your son needs you, and no one else can/will help him like you! Keep up the good work!

~D

Old 03-14-2008, 07:55 AM

151 posts, read 648,498 times
This is the reason why litigation is needed. Those statements about funding being an issue, while your son languished with not being serviced should be ran to the nearest advocate, and or attorney.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:25 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,476,406 times
I don't disagree, finding an attorney here that would take such a case is almost impossible because most have done work for, or are currently linked to the schools in some fashion. I think we might have found the answer which is Job Corps.
They are prepared to work with kids with his disablities and will train him for the job he wants (culinary arts) and teach him how to deal with coworkers better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or