U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 7,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Ditch the strobe lights....Those irritate the senses for anyone....I cannot imagine it being good for anyone who is looking for calming light.

How about those tiny little Christmas lights....not flashing on and off, simply lit. I see that they sell them online, and several places incl. Walmart. "fairy lights" Check them online and see if you think you'd like them.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=fairy+...&setlang=en-US

I have seen those "weighted blankets", supposed to be good for people whit ADHD, and sensory issues...not sure if they would comfort you the same way....there are many links and varying prices...here is just one link https://funandfunction.com/weighted-blanket.html

Make sure the snacks are not high sugar, or processed foods. This site seems focused on children....but there are some really good resources and tips for folks dealing with autism regardless of their age. https://www.autismspeaks.org/family-...ness/nutrition

Music should be soft and soothing.

Also consider aroma therapy....Lavender is very soothing....Essential Oils for Autism | And Next Comes L

All the links are simply to get you started on the ideas and suggestions.

Good luck to you going forward. It is wonderful that you are so proactive about your own needs. Shows that your Mom/parents have educated you along the way. I have attempted to do that with my son also....I feel it does make a big difference.

Update with what ideas help so others may benefit as well.
I like your idea about the Christmas lights. the strobe ad disco lights hurt my eyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:25 PM

Should daylight be blocked from coming into the tranquil room?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:28 PM

14,764 posts, read 15,096,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDo0715 View Post
Should daylight be blocked from coming into the tranquil room?
That depends on how you feel about it. You are an individual and some people dislike the light and others like it. I do agree about getting rid of the strobe lights and the disco ball as I don't think they would be calming at all.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That depends on how you feel about it. You are an individual and some people dislike the light and others like it. I do agree about getting rid of the strobe lights and the disco ball as I don't think they would be calming at all.
The disco ball and strobe lights will go. When I'm napping or relaxing I like it dark.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Should the door to the tranquil room be closed so no outside noise or light comes in??

Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM

14,764 posts, read 15,096,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDo0715 View Post
Should the door to the tranquil room be closed so no outside noise or light comes in??
This is also a personal preference. I think it is a good idea to keep it closed or at least ajar to prevent distractions.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:41 AM

7,064 posts, read 6,169,833 times
Cut a hole in the wall and install a window-sized air conditioner (of course, don't do this yourself - get a pro. to handle it). Make sure no light comes in around the AC unit - it should fit into the hole neatly.

Would windows with opaque darkening shades be helpful? Air could come in. You could raise the shades and the windows when you are not using the room, then pull down the shades when you do use it. That way, the room would not get so hot. A screen door or a storm door with a screen option would also help ventilate the room. It could be added in front of the existing door.

The cost of each of the above ideas should be about the same. Meanwhile, a fan is a good idea. Taking a cool or tepid bath or shower just before or after using the room would also be helpful. Make sure you drink enough water on hot days, btw. Staying hydrated can make you a lot more comfortable.

Good luck to you - your room sounds beautiful!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:02 PM

450 posts, read 107,115 times
My son had, or rather still has the glow in the dark plastic star and moon on his ceiling, he always likes those. I do too! They are soothing to stare at in a dark room.

You can get all sorts of white noise sounds. Babbling Brooke, waves, distant fog horn. I remember and found soothing the sound of a single car going down the two lane highway at grandma's house in the country, and headlights on the walls at night laying in bed in the dark.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My son had, or rather still has the glow in the dark plastic star and moon on his ceiling, he always likes those. I do too! They are soothing to stare at in a dark room.

You can get all sorts of white noise sounds. Babbling Brooke, waves, distant fog horn. I remember and found soothing the sound of a single car going down the two lane highway at grandma's house in the country, and headlights on the walls at night laying in bed in the dark.
what are white noise sounds

Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Is it sick in the head to need a quiet dark room to relax in??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children