Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:18 AM

3 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

My child is in a class where a senior is leading the class, my child is a freshman. The teacher is normally not in the classroom. His IEP is not being followed. I am guessing that is because the senior doesn't know about it because of confidentiality laws. Does anyone know how this works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,684,673 times
Is this public school?

I've never heard of a student led class for credit, where an adult isn't in the room.

That might be the place to start, inquiring why there isn't a teacher in the classroom.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:03 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Is this public school?

I've never heard of a student led class for credit, where an adult isn't in the room.

That might be the place to start, inquiring why there isn't a teacher in the classroom.
Even, if it is an unusual situation, like a guest speaker "leading the class" for one day, IMHO the IEP always has to be followed.

When I was a substitute teacher, while we usually were not given access to the actual IEP, the modifications needed for each student who had an IEP were always listed (and needed to be followed).

How in the world could an uncertified/unlicensed person, not even an adult, be left in charge of other students? That does not even seem legal. Even at the HS level if a teacher needed to step away from the classroom for a few minutes there always needed to be another teacher left in charge (like the teacher next door checking in).

Old 05-06-2018, 09:52 PM

This is public school but it is also a magnet school, so they run things a little different. She let a senior aide lead the class because she runs 2 classes at the same time in adjoining rooms. It's video production so they are doing things as a group. The teacher said she wasn't in the room until she heard yelling. When my child is having a problem behavior they are suppose to let him have space and calm down then address the problem. Instead lots of kids were at him which blew up the behavior. Then she really broke his IEP by removing him from the group completely and wouldn't let him participate even when calmed down and gave him a zero for the day.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennizees View Post
This is public school but it is also a magnet school, so they run things a little different. She let a senior aide lead the class because she runs 2 classes at the same time in adjoining rooms. It's video production so they are doing things as a group. The teacher said she wasn't in the room until she heard yelling. When my child is having a problem behavior they are suppose to let him have space and calm down then address the problem. Instead lots of kids were at him which blew up the behavior. Then she really broke his IEP by removing him from the group completely and wouldn't let him participate even when calmed down and gave him a zero for the day.
The law is that the IEP must be followed. If that means the teacher is always in the same room as the student with the IEP, that needs to happen.

However, without knowing what is in your child's behavioral intervention plan and what is meant by "blew up the behavior," it's hard to say whether removing from the group was appropriate. If anyone was at risk of injury, for instance, that would be a pertinent factor.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:47 PM

Thank you. The blowing up of behavior was yelling and screaming, no risk of injury. I could see taking him out of the room to calm down, but not for the rest of the class period. Plus no one talked to him about his behavior, just removed him

Old 05-07-2018, 08:34 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,684,673 times
Quote:
Thank you. The blowing up of behavior was yelling and screaming, no risk of injury. I could see taking him out of the room to calm down, but not for the rest of the class period. Plus no one talked to him about his behavior, just removed him
So the teacher did come into the room - "said she wasn't in the room until she heard yelling" - so it was the teacher who violated the IEP, not the student leader?

Does your son have the right to leave the classroom to get out into the hall by himself if he feels this escalating, or was he forced to stay in the classroom and couldn't get to another place to calm himself down?

It sounds like they're stretched thin on staff at this magnet school, since one teacher is having to manage two classrooms at once, even one with an IEP that kind of requires constant monitoring. This isn't like an IEP to allow a child extra days for homework, or allow the child to sit up front near the teacher.

His behavior, especially in a very unstructured classroom like video production, may be more than can be handled in this school setting.

Did you talk to him about his behavior, and choices? Can the teacher provide a specific area right outside the classroom that he can voluntarily go with no consequences?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,482,798 times
I'd start by talking to the teacher of record, as it's her responsibility to be sure any accommodations or behavior plans are being followed. There are potential confidentiality issues with having the senior know what is in the IEP (or that your son has an IEP at all), so I would think that the teacher would need to be in the class that contains your son. I'm guessing the year is almost over (and this incident happened a while ago), but I would have talked to the teacher with concerns as soon as I knew a high school student was teaching the class.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
What does the behavioral intervention plan detail is to be done in such circumstances?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Quote:
My child is in a class where a senior is leading the class, my child is a freshman. The teacher is normally not in the classroom. His IEP is not being followed. I am guessing that is because the senior doesn't know about it because of confidentiality laws. Does anyone know how this works?
You need to request an IEP meeting asap.....Contact the Special needs department of your local education department and share your concerns with your child's Social Work advocate asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children