Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 02:33 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times

Advertisements

Wow, wonderful foresight to have that tracker on him! Does he know it's there?

I'm very impressed that you're still able to manage this big strong young man at home. You must be incredible at managing him. I've always referred to managing my autistic child (but only 3 inches taller than me) as playing a shark on a trout line. You play the line so carefully, hoping the delicate trout line doesn't break, and when you finally succeed in reeling in the line, you've landed a shark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 12:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Oh my goodness, how terrifying for you! I'm so glad this had a happy ending.

And also glad that he does, in fact, know how to cross the street safely! That's huge.
I agree; it is huge. Every time we have crossed the street; even in the neighborhood when we walk the dog; I talk him through the whole process but he will ignore me. Or at least it seems like he does; he will make his “nnnggg” noise & turn in circles or try to walk off. I feel like a grown-up in a Peanuts show: “Wa-Wa, waaaa ...”.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Wow, wonderful foresight to have that tracker on him! Does he know it's there?

I'm very impressed that you're still able to manage this big strong young man at home. You must be incredible at managing him. I've always referred to managing my autistic child (but only 3 inches taller than me) as playing a shark on a trout line. You play the line so carefully, hoping the delicate trout line doesn't break, and when you finally succeed in reeling in the line, you've landed a shark!
Thank you! I really needed to hear something positive; I’ve felt like crap since this happened. He does know it’s there but I don’t think he understands it’s function. I’ve always just said “The tracker keeps you safe ...” I don’t believe he understands that the tracker is the reason the police found him.

To be honest; autistic elopement terrifies me; so many kids wander to water & drown. So, I got him the tracker & got him into swimming lessons that teach “survival floating” & he’s really good at it now. He can roll onto his back in water, not move a muscle & just float on top of the water. It’s a strange thing to see; I used to swim competitively, as did my sister & my sister & two of my daughters are lifeguards & none of us can do it!

I totally get your shark analogy; sometimes I feel like I’m in a strangely choreographed dance with him: A cross between a matador facing down El Toro in the bullring & a ballerina on the stage.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:03 PM

323 posts, read 219,052 times
Are you the same person who's son was reported for being a perv on Halloween?

Old 11-30-2018, 07:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I'm so glad the story has a happy ending. That's so scary. As a parent of a teen with ASD, I can totally relate to the carefully choreographed dance!

Old 11-30-2018, 08:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
Coscristi, regarding the floating thing. A person with a higher percent if body fat will float much easier that someone with low body, as long as they can relax and not struggle. A person with very low body fat will sing let me a rock without using so me swim strokes if some kind.

How scary. I can't imagine what you went through. The angels were watching out for him by the tracker ending up in his bag and he took the bag with.

My son is in spectrum but high functioning. He was very behind until he was about 19, just keep working the program and hopefully you will see some maturity that may help him. And, wow, what a big guy. Do you still it family still involved with farming, if so maybe he can be given some chores that he can work on. Could give a great sense of accomplishment, purpose and worth... sorry I'm sure you've heard it all, all the suggestions.
Good job Mom!

Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Are you the same person who's son was reported for being a perv on Halloween?
Um; what? No, apparently not ... he was a vampire. An imposing vampire at that, at 6'2". I have understanding neighbors, I take him trick or treating every year & will do so until he decides he is too old for it.

No perv here. That can be a heartbreaking behavior for children (& adults) with autism & other disabilities but so far; I have been spared.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Coscristi, regarding the floating thing. A person with a higher percent if body fat will float much easier that someone with low body, as long as they can relax and not struggle. A person with very low body fat will sing let me a rock without using so me swim strokes if some kind.

How scary. I can't imagine what you went through. The angels were watching out for him by the tracker ending up in his bag and he took the bag with.

My son is in spectrum but high functioning. He was very behind until he was about 19, just keep working the program and hopefully you will see some maturity that may help him. And, wow, what a big guy. Do you still it family still involved with farming, if so maybe he can be given some chores that he can work on. Could give a great sense of accomplishment, purpose and worth... sorry I'm sure you've heard it all, all the suggestions.
Good job Mom!
Thank you! I wondered about the floating thing ... he has the classic "low muscle tone" found in people with Autism, yet that strength; I don't know where that comes from.

There is something about body mechanics involved ... When he was younger (& smaller) he would meltdown from hyperstimulation of open space. Just getting him out of his car seat & trying to set him on his feet would result in his dropping to the ground & stiffening his spine in such a way that even his 6'4" dad couldn't pick him up. I had to use a specialized jogging stroller that could accommodate up to 125lbs until he was about 7 years old.

He used to crawl on his hands & knees to cross from the living room carpet to the kitchen tile floor, feeling his way across with his hands, almost as if he were blind & I'm afraid that stairs are going to be a lifetime challenge.

You mentioned an improvement with your son at age 19? I've read a ton of case histories that support that as being a period of developmental gain for young males with Autism. God; I sure hope so; I hope we both make it until then (as long as I don't fall asleep, we might).

Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM

28 posts, read 17,132 times
My heart is just full for you... reading how he left, then finding him, and now reading your challenges of caring for him. And I thought I had it tough with my kids. I applaud you, you're amazing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children