U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,298,457 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from any family members of adults with Down's syndrome and why you think your community is the best one for your family member. Ease of access, job opportunities, recreational or social opportunities, weather, whatever.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:01 PM

Default Still hanging in there and still laughing at "no responses"

I will keep checking back.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

431 posts, read 1,511,501 times
I have an uncle with down's syndrome and he really liked it when he was living in beaver dam wisconsin. He went to Green Valley to work as well as learning how to read and write and how to take care of himself and so much more. my uncle really enjoyed his time there. He was very upset when my grandma tald hime that they were going back to hayward (wisconsin) to live. Plus there is alot of things to do in beaver dam as well as the surrounding areas.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
We checked out multiple places for adults with Down's Syndrome and decided on moving from Ohio to California. The state has an excellent set of "day" programs for folks with varying abilities. This is due to the Lanterman Act, a law established by California to ensure fair treatment of the mentally disabled.

A Consumer's Guide to the Lanterman Act

Old 05-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks! California I was maybe expecting but not Wisconsin. Hopefully this will expand into other options as well.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 PM

29 posts, read 101,710 times
A couple of my cousins have downs sydrome. They are both adults, and have jobs where they do a variety of different things and it also gives them a place to socialize with others. A bus picks them up in the morning and brings them home in the afternoon. There is also a bowling league for kids with special needs, where they can bowl with plenty of adults on hand so nobody is left out. They even travel in competitions. My cousins love this and I think it's great. Although these are programs in California. One of my cousins moved from California to Nevada and is doing something similar there as well.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 27,881 times
Default I love my city for my son with Downs

We live in a small community just outside of Columbus, Ohio. My little fellow is actually 19 years old. He graduated high school, went to the prom with a date and received lots of attention from school friends, the newspaper, teachers, and adult friends. He has a great personality. McDonald's has employed him for over two years and he just received employee of the month. He is involved in Special Olympics, bowling, basketball, and weight lifting. He also works for a local 'special needs' factory of various types of production in a neighboring community using a bus for transportation. He is quite the talker and everywhere he goes people know him. The community has stepped up and they really accept him (even when bad things happen socially there are those that protect him). He have friends of all ages. I am pleased with his life here. Now, my daughter is autistic and that is a different story within the same community. She is loved by those who know her but estranged from the social aspect of community life. We're working on educating the community. Downs has the advantage of time - the time others have spent educating society. I'm happy with his future here: bus drivers, bosses, friends, parents of friends, neighbors, MRDD, past educators, coaches, strangers, the whole of society. Enjoy today. Bye.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
dont know any here. but in memphis area i know a great group home. it was such a progressive move for him to make at 21. he was not happy at home. too much smother love.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM

yes in some cases it's the Jewish father syndrome. In my case, I am the Jewish Mother but did not "inherit" the gene apparently, my spouse did.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,502 times
I have a brother who is 45 and lives in Shreveport/Bossier area of Louisiana with the folks. I will ultimately gain custody of him when my parents are no longer able to care for him. To my surprise Louisiana is far ahead in this area then most states I have lived in. He works at a special needs workshop, which was set up by a General at the military base there and with instruction to never close as long as the base is still there. This workshop is not just for Military personnel dependents, civilians with special needs are also admitted to the facility. Its a smaller workshop then most and they all get special attention. There is also an organization there that has supplied a "Buddy" who comes and takes him and maybe one or two other Down's to Sports games, fishing, dancing, bowling and other activities around town. This organization also supplies individuals to baby sit if my folks want to go out for the evening or they will even stay with him if the parents want to go on vacation for a week. They also will set up if you want the service, to come to the home, feed them in the morning and get them ready for work. Be there when then get home and if needed get them ready for bedtime. This is just a handful of services they offer. He's also involved with the Local & State Special Olympics, they have an annual event which is a huge barbeque and fishing out at the lake for the whole family, annual Thanksgiving & Christmas Parties. Just a lot of activities for them to do. He has transportation to and from work at no costs, as well as to & from Dr visits if needed. I do not live in the area, but have been for some time now trying to find something of better as Louisiana is really not the place I want to retire! But there is nothing to compare and because of that, when the time comes, I will be moving to Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children