U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:14 PM

325 posts, read 108,782 times

Advertisements

I posted in this section because I'm sure there's some knowledgeable people here, with regards to this subject. I have a sister in law that's 30, who I believe is on the Autism spectrum, higher functioning. No official diagnosis from a doctor. Was home schooled, does not drive, has difficulty learning, laughs at inappropriate times. She lives with her mom. Some people say she has Asperger's.

My wife and I are in our 30's, and were discussing if her mom passed away, what would we do. I didn't know when we got married we would possibly be responsible for her sister. I don't have a problem having her live with us in the future. There's no bus system where we live though, so we would have to drive her places, and possibly support her financially. Not sure how it would all workout. Generally what happens to people with autism when they get older?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 06:22 PM

3,593 posts, read 1,388,880 times
they intensify.
after things change from their day-to-day,
(in our experience) they go hyper and it
gets more exaggerated with advancing age.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:43 AM

16,104 posts, read 17,912,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
I posted in this section because I'm sure there's some knowledgeable people here, with regards to this subject. I have a sister in law that's 30, who I believe is on the Autism spectrum, higher functioning. No official diagnosis from a doctor. Was home schooled, does not drive, has difficulty learning, laughs at inappropriate times. She lives with her mom. Some people say she has Asperger's.

My wife and I are in our 30's, and were discussing if her mom passed away, what would we do. I didn't know when we got married we would possibly be responsible for her sister. I don't have a problem having her live with us in the future. There's no bus system where we live though, so we would have to drive her places, and possibly support her financially. Not sure how it would all workout. Generally what happens to people with autism when they get older?
If she has asperger's and normal intelligence, she may be able to have a job and support herself. Mostly, though adults with autism are dependent on those who care for them.

You may want to read about Donald Triplett who was the first child ever diagnosed with autism. His parents had money so they set him up in a home of his own in a small town (Forset, Mississippi) and he thrived. He learned to drive. He played golf with community friends. He was employed by the family bank (his parents owned that bank, so he did not have to interview). He has a trust fund set up to take care of him after his parents died.

This was long before people knew much about autism, but it shows how an autistic adult can live and thrive with the right resources.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-child/308227/

Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
OP: I don't know anyone with Autism but know that my daughter and I are appreciating a lot of health improvements with our dosing with HGH homeopathic gel, she is into her 9th month and me into my 6th month. I'm finding more issues almost every time I look for what HGH can do for health conditions and found this on Autism today. I have a journal like post in Alt Med here on our progress so far.

We do not do injections but the homeopathic gel. This could benefit your sister, maybe???
I use homeopathics for other issues for many years and am fond of this medicine.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2015/0...der/81467.html

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-07-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 02:57 PM

21,910 posts, read 14,406,502 times
Her parents need to provide for her. Your wife should ask them what provisions they have made for her.

She should be drawing SSD benefits. If you end up having her live with you, her benefits would help to defray costs pertaining to her care. If she needs custodial care throughout the day, then her benefits might go towards rent in a home.

You and your wife need to get information from her parents. You need information.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:30 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,903 posts, read 5,243,883 times
Your first step should be to learn what resources are available in your state.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:19 AM

779 posts, read 1,412,415 times
Yes, you need to see what resources are available for her. Like other said, social security, Medicaid, etc. some areas have programs for adults with autism to learn job skills so they can do simple jobs (unless she’s high functioning enough to work a regular job like retail). Unfortunately, programs are very dependent on where you live.

Someone said above that thing get worse with age, I’m not sure that others would agree (I haven’t heard that)

Old 07-14-2019, 02:10 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,821,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I don't know anyone with Autism but know that my daughter and I are appreciating a lot of health improvements with our dosing with HGH homeopathic gel, she is into her 9th month and me into my 6th month. I'm finding more issues almost every time I look for what HGH can do for health conditions and found this on Autism today. I have a journal like post in Alt Med here on our progress so far.

We do not do injections but the homeopathic gel. This could benefit your sister, maybe???
I use homeopathics for other issues for many years and am fond of this medicine.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2015/0...der/81467.html
Just stop.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:02 PM

5,900 posts, read 6,334,070 times
I work for a company that does direct support for adults with mental disabilities to help them live independently.

She may be eligible for medicare and social security disability, the county board of MRDD can assist in finding a service provider and assessing the needs of an individual based on their level of independence.

Services range from transportation to cooking and cleaning, medication administration etc.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 PM

36,669 posts, read 41,959,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post

This is my husband's older cousin, although his is not as highly functioning. He is 50-ish. He actually was diagnosed, at a time when such diagnoses were rare, and due to the tireless efforts of his parents, received more services than most with his level of need at that particular time in history.

He is able to perform basic self-care tasks, has maintained a job as a supermarket bagger in an area store that he can walk or ride the bus to for many years, is known and loved in his workplace, and has a social group made up of others who are similarly neurodiverse...they go to weekend social retreats, on bowling trips, take outings to the movie theatre, etc. A bunch of his group went to ComiCon recently when it was in town.

He has always lived with his parents. When his parents would travel (he did not prefer to go, leaving the unfamiliar made him very uneasy), he would stay home alone for up to a couple of weeks at a time, but my father-in-law, his uncle, would check in on him via phone daily, and stop in every few days to ensure that he was eating properly. His level of independent functioning, as well as his emotional maturity, is probably on par with that of a 13 or 14-year old...he always did well on his own, but like a young adolescent, would be prone to making meals of packs of Oreo Cookies, ice cream, and soda, left to his own devices. He had some dietary restrictions he needs to be mindful of. So my FIL will check in, and help make sure he is feeding himself properly when he is unsupervised.

His father passed away several years ago, so it is now him and his mom. He has a younger brother who lives in another city with his wife and preteen children. His brother and sister-in-law have told me that when their mom passes, or she is no longer able to care for him, he will live with them. They will most likely move back to the area, because his adjusting to a new city would be harder than theirs adjusting to moving back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or