Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 AM

216 posts, read 560,581 times

Advertisements

Our local school has decided to outsource my sons education under his IEP. We are thrilled. My son is not used to being with strangers, especially riding in a vehicle. We are afraid he will freak out! My wife and I have offered to transport him, her in the morning...me in the afternoon. The school system thanked us for our contribution and said they will reimburse us the IRS standard mileage rate of .58 cents/mile. We didn't expect any $, but they said they have to reimburse us under the law.

Does anyone else do this? And how and when are they paid? Does the district issue a 1099? And is this considered reported income? Is the reimbursement 4 x day, or 2 x day? Meaning just to and from, or to and from in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Not finding many specifics on the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 11:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
I never heard of anyone reimbursing parents for driving their own child. Our district provides a special needs bus and if you don't want to take that, you drive, but you don't get any money for it.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:39 PM

216 posts, read 560,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I never heard of anyone reimbursing parents for driving their own child. Our district provides a special needs bus and if you don't want to take that, you drive, but you don't get any money for it.
You didn't read and understand the post. My sons education is being outsourced to a private school under his IEP, and the private school is 35 miles from my house. Apparently, it is the law the district must provide transportation. At his PPT, my wife and I said WE will provide transportation at NO cost. The Superintendent said we HAVE TO be reimbursed under the LAW. I said the school can keep it, WE DON'T WANT IT. He then firmly said that it is the law we be reimbursed, what we choose to do with the reimbursement after we receive it is our business.

I'm sorry but the tone of your response seems to imply we are ignorant and money hungry because we see it as profiting from taking our child to school! We neither want or need the money, especially if it will mess up our income taxes at the end of the year. All we care about is getting our son to school safely, and not for profit.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
You didn't read and understand the post. My sons education is being outsourced to a private school under his IEP, and the private school is 35 miles from my house. Apparently, it is the law the district must provide transportation. At his PPT, my wife and I said WE will provide transportation at NO cost. The Superintendent said we HAVE TO be reimbursed under the LAW. I said the school can keep it, WE DON'T WANT IT. He then firmly said that it is the law we be reimbursed, what we choose to do with the reimbursement after we receive it is our business.

I'm sorry but the tone of your response seems to imply we are ignorant and money hungry because we see it as profiting from taking our child to school! We neither want or need the money, especially if it will mess up our income taxes at the end of the year. All we care about is getting our son to school safely, and not for profit.
I did not think you were money hungry. I just never heard of a district reimbursing for transportation. I have no idea where you got that I thought you were trying to get money that you did not deserve. As far as I know here in Houston they don't pay parents who transport to private schools, but they do provide special needs buses.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:34 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,529,261 times
I honestly think you may want to consider letting them transport. It will be good for your child to learn that you will not always be able to drive him. Yes it will be a transition at first but after a while he’ll get used to it. In the long run it will be better for him. Remember sometimes we have to push them out of their comfort zone.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,947,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I honestly think you may want to consider letting them transport. It will be good for your child to learn that you will not always be able to drive him. Yes it will be a transition at first but after a while he’ll get used to it. In the long run it will be better for him. Remember sometimes we have to push them out of their comfort zone.
I agree. I taught three to five year old students with special needs. It was very helpful for the children to have a "buffer" between home and school. Plus the children really enjoyed the bus ride with their peers.

In all my years of teaching special education I can only recall one time where the district paid for transportation (when the child did not ride the free school bus). The grandparents were the full time babysitters but they lived outside of the district (so my student could not ride on the free bus). A special exception was made to pay them mileage. I am not exactly sure why that happened as I have had numerous parents (over the years) who provided daily transportation to their children with special needs and were never paid mileage. The payment was for twice a day, mileage to and from school (meaning they were not paid for their mileage home in the morning after they dropped off their grandchild and not paid mileage driving to the school to pick up their grandchild).

We have also had a few situations, over many years, where there was a special bus route for just one child (usually a seriously, medically fragile child). When that happened for one of my students I recall that the bus cost was $100 per day (obviously $500 per week or $18,000 per year) and the child happened to live only four blocks from the school. That was the cost almost 20 years ago, so I am sure that it is higher now.

If your child is the only child going to that school, 35 miles away, it may save the district thousands of dollars per year if you provide the transportation.

Last edited by germaine2626; 10-04-2019 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-04-2019, 09:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Our local school has decided to outsource my sons education under his IEP. We are thrilled. My son is not used to being with strangers, especially riding in a vehicle. We are afraid he will freak out! My wife and I have offered to transport him, her in the morning...me in the afternoon. The school system thanked us for our contribution and said they will reimburse us the IRS standard mileage rate of .58 cents/mile. We didn't expect any $, but they said they have to reimburse us under the law.

Does anyone else do this? And how and when are they paid? Does the district issue a 1099? And is this considered reported income? Is the reimbursement 4 x day, or 2 x day? Meaning just to and from, or to and from in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Not finding many specifics on the question.
I taught for years at an alternate placement. Almost 100% of our students came in contracted transportation. Sometimes it was a van or bus or car from their home district, sometimes drivers from our transportation fleet. Parents could drive their kids if they chose, but it wasn't reimbursed, because transportation was provided and available. Almost everyone used the provided transportation.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:31 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
OP I think the only place to get an answer for your situation is from your district board of education. I would guess that it's reported income, just like mileage reimbursement at a regular job, and that the school would provide the proper documentation.
Reimbursement
Authority: Transportation is included as a related service under the regulations in
34 CFR §300.34(a) and (c)(16).
Question G-1: Must an LEA provide appropriate information and assistance to the
parents of a child with a disability who are seeking reimbursement for
mileage expenses for transportation the IEP Team included in the child’s
IEP?
Answer: Yes. If a child with a disability is receiving special education and related
services and transportation is included in the child’s IEP, the LEA must
provide assistance needed by the parents to be reimbursed in a timely
manner for the costs incurred in providing transportation.
- https://sites.ed.gov/idea/files/OMB_...09_FINAL-1.pdf

Old 05-18-2020, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 8,598 times
Hi. What state / district are you in? We have an agreement with our district and they transport my son 3x week and my husband and I drive the other 2 days and are reimbursed 2 round-trip drives per day. We have to keep track of mileage and dates driven and submit an expense report to the district after each month’s end. The reimbursement money is not taxable, it’s considered out of pocket expense so not taxed as income.

We’re trying to find a new district as our agreement is up soon and we have a younger daughter that also needs some services for ASD, but our son has severe apraxia and i can’t find any information on schools that would be helpful or steer us in another direction. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children