Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,796 times

Advertisements

My son has been in small LAUSD charter schools most of his life, with an IEP since 2nd grade - first for Sensory Integration Dysfunction and then Autism Spectrum.

When it was time for him to go on to high school last year, we had him enrolled at Palisades Charter High School. He is with me/mom half the time and his dad the other half, and we chose to use his dad's address so that he could remain on the west side as he has always been.

Unfortunately, we quickly realized during testing and touring that Pali was never going to work for him. He was accepted but we withdrew him before the first day and we took it upon ourselves to scrape up the money for Village Glen, a private special ed school. He has done exceptionally well there - nearly straight A's, friends, reduced stress, real help, etc.

But we realized that every kid there was a mirror of him - and they were all being funded by LAUSD. We were urged to seek funding by a couple of people and told he would certainly qualify.

We faxed a 10-Day Letter but received a call from LAUSD saying we'd need a new IEP first. And here is the pickle: the head of special ed due process at LAUSD is advising us to have the IEP at Fairfax High School - not a charter - and basing it on my address. She told me that it would be far easier to get funding through the regular school district than a charter. Is she helping me or thwarting me?

The advocate had told me the day before that we needed to get it through the school where we had the tours, etc.- we have no history with Fairfax.

I wasn't able to get the advocate back on the phone all day Friday to tell me if there is any merit to LA Unified's advice. --I wonder to myself WHY they would want to "help" me so much, of course...but then again, it could make sense!

I have been trying to find info online all weekend, but all I know so far is that Pali is funded purely through the state. No LAUSD funds go to them for special ed. Or so it seems.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of charter vs. district special ed funding comparison? Do I stick with where I "have a case" or go with LA Unified's assertion that it'd be more likely at a district school? (Tough school, by the way. Yikes. He could never attend it.) THANK YOU!!

Last edited by Harry's Mom; 05-04-2008 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 03:51 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,708,981 times
It's a gray area. I think what the special ed director is saying does make sense, as there is probably a far greater volume of kids who are placed out from a 'regular' public school than there are from charter schools. Plus he never actually attended the charter school. But I would definitely wait to hear back from the advocate or seek the advice of a special ed lawyer before proceeding.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children