U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,574,012 times

Advertisements

Check out this website... you will have to join to get to the forums but it's worth it.

http://www.bpkids.org/site/PageServer

We have a 17 year old son, suspected BP on his way to ascent 4 teens. We struggled with this for over a year and we are really hoping this makes a difference.
Our son went from a 3.5 GPA, NHS, MVP of the lacrosse team to a 1.5 GPA last semester and he quit everything else. His senior year just started and we couldn't get him to go...so this morning at 3:30 AM a transport service woke him up and he is currently on a flight to Spokane.

My wife posts on the BP site...says she has learned a lot and has gotten lots of support from others going thru the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

268 posts, read 914,441 times
That site is very good, and I have received tons of great info from it.

My son has been diagnosed since he was 8. He is now 11. He is stable and doing relatively well lately. He came from a 3 month stay in the hospital about a month ago, and that helped alot.

I wish I could help with the teen aspect but we are not there yet.

Have you read "The Bipolar Child"? It is an excellent book!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:45 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,646,357 times
I have a 15 year old daughter that has been diagnosed from 8 years old as ADHD and her sister since she was 5..as ADHD. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD at 35 in RN School, then 2 years later as Bipolar. My oldest has in the last 2 years had to drop her ADHD meds because they seemed to make her worse? I don't know how that works but I do know that my therapist told me that if you are bipolar that amphetemines or Ritalin will make it worse for your behavior. I am afraid she is bipolar also. I don't understand how some doctors will say you can't be treated for both ADHD and Bipolar. I have also been told that the earlier the child is treated the easier it will be for them later. If they are not treated as a child (as I wasn't) then they will probably be treated long term as adults. I am hoping since my youngest was tested and treated earlier that she will have an easier time and socially she has had some easier than my oldest who wasn't treated until 3rd grade. Good luck with you all, I hope it goes good for you.

Karen

Old 09-01-2008, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,057 times
Thank you for this information. I also have start to go to the libray to gather information on the illness.I work at school with a special needs child and I have a friend that works with a autistic little boy that is nine yrs old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children