U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:28 PM

171 posts, read 472,350 times

Advertisements

Hello I have a son (5 y.o.) who was diagnose with PDD-NOS (Autism Speculum Disorder) April 4, 2006. He makes all kinds of strange noises when he's watching tv or not; yelling, screaming, loud talking and I can go on. He keeps doing things repeatively; he won't stay still--I tell him repeatedly to sit still or be quiet. He's up and at it again. My family member say's "he's out of control". It's aggravating for my family member because we're currently residing with her. I'm looking at getting my own place real soon. But how do other parents cope and control their autistic children while their at home or out in a public settling? TIA to your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 03:52 PM

132 posts, read 269,975 times
Default Ive been there...

I totally understand where your coming from. I myself have a 3 and 4 year old and they both are being tested for Autism and they have behavior problems. In the past we have lived with so called friends or family and they too were irritated. But what really can you do about it? If the people you stay with knew about your childs actions before you moved in, then thats on them really. If they knew how your child acted and didnt like it then they should have said no. Or maybe they should try and help you when things get out of control. I totally am with you though, my youngest son would trash everything and yell and scream, uhh lord. And I was so embarrassed at first because it seemed like there was nothing I could do. But now I know that he does have a disability and I and everyone around me are going to have to learn to deal with it! Do you think you child just gets bored easily and needs more stuff to do? Thats one reason why there might be so much acting out. Keep your child entertained. Try and teach your child about inside voice and also that this is the other persons house and need to respect their wishes... I know its better said then done but give it a try. Good luck to you!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM

175 posts, read 583,782 times
Default What's he eating etc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcola110 View Post
Hello I have a son (5 y.o.) who was diagnose with PDD-NOS (Autism Speculum Disorder) April 4, 2006. He makes all kinds of strange noises when he's watching tv or not; yelling, screaming, loud talking and I can go on. He keeps doing things repeatively; he won't stay still--I tell him repeatedly to sit still or be quiet. He's up and at it again. My family member say's "he's out of control". It's aggravating for my family member because we're currently residing with her. I'm looking at getting my own place real soon. But how do other parents cope and control their autistic children while their at home or out in a public settling? TIA to your responses.

Yes, You need to look at what he is eating. Changing his diet will make all the difference. Are you currently doing any dietary interventions with him? The gluten ( wheat) and casein (milk) free diet solves many behaviour problems for many families. Also removing artificial colours, flavours and preservatives as well. Limiting sugar - because this just causes hyperactivity. It will be hard at first. But worth it. My PDD-NOS 8 yr.old son has been transformed by this diet and other biomedical interventions. Your sons' repetative behaviours which are called 'stimming' are caused primarily by viruses and yeast issues. You need to get him on some anti-fungal/ viral medications. Certain types of Doctor will help you with this - DAN! (Defeat Autism Now) Dr's are good at testing for things like yeast and heavy metals such as lead and mercury in his system. PM me if you want specific websites regarding DAN! Dr's, GFCF diet etc...I have them all!!! Good luck!! It's difficult at first but does get easier!!

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM

61 posts, read 160,219 times
I understand my son just turned 6yrs old. He was diagnosed at 2 1/2 with autiesm. Diet does help. My son is on a gluten free diet. I am also planning on getting him into a dan doctor after our move. Some of his behavior may be sensory. My son needs to climb and be active. We got him a mini trampoline and a slide to deal with his climbing. By giving him a proper place to take care of his needs at home he stopped doing things he wasnt supposed to. We just redirected him to use the proper means for those needs. Make sure the noises aren't him trying to communicate something to you he cannot yet put into words. My son cannot go into certain places because the flourescent lights hurt him. I thought he was acting up at first. He was just trying to tell me hey mom that hurts. Sometimes you have to think out of the box with these kids and you can figure out why they are doing some things. Also some of these things may just be normal for your son. He does have a disability and some things may just have to put up with. Try your best. If people are offended try to explain to them about autism so they understand. Best luck to you.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:40 AM

171 posts, read 472,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3 View Post
Yes, You need to look at what he is eating. Changing his diet will make all the difference. Are you currently doing any dietary interventions with him? The gluten ( wheat) and casein (milk) free diet solves many behaviour problems for many families. Also removing artificial colours, flavours and preservatives as well. Limiting sugar - because this just causes hyperactivity. It will be hard at first. But worth it. My PDD-NOS 8 yr.old son has been transformed by this diet and other biomedical interventions. Your sons' repetative behaviours which are called 'stimming' are caused primarily by viruses and yeast issues. You need to get him on some anti-fungal/ viral medications. Certain types of Doctor will help you with this - DAN! (Defeat Autism Now) Dr's are good at testing for things like yeast and heavy metals such as lead and mercury in his system. PM me if you want specific websites regarding DAN! Dr's, GFCF diet etc...I have them all!!! Good luck!! It's difficult at first but does get easier!!
There are only certains foods (dairy products, bananas) I've eliminate from his diet because he can't tolerate them. We do eat wheat bread and different pastas but it isn't that often on the pasta dishes. I can't really control what he's eating at school, other then the dairy (i.e. milk). I give him juices (Juicy Juice--various flavors, Orange Juice and of course water), Silk Soymilk, but no sodas or other carbonate beverages. Definitely no chocolate or other candies and sweets.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:20 AM

175 posts, read 583,782 times
Smile ASD kids and the GFCF diet...etc

[quote=Pcola110;5121968]There are only certains foods (dairy products, bananas)

---ok - that's a good start. Dairy always needs to go first.

I've eliminate from his diet because he can't tolerate them. We do eat wheat bread and different pastas but it isn't that often on the pasta dishes.

-----Wheat needs to go I'm afraid - it's a major major allergen for our kids and just exacerbates the leaky gut they have. Leaky gut syndrome is a something that all kids on the spectrum have - it is caused by minute molecules of gluten and casein proteins penetrating the lining of the gut - these molecules then enter the blood stream and then start to cause all kinds of problems for the brain - because scientists recently discovered that the gut and the brain are connected through the immune system. Because the gut gets damaged in this way unfortunately viruses and bad bacterias also decide they like this environment as well - this causes even further problems. BUT by starting this diet you will be healing the gut however. Once the gut is healing and nutrients from his foods are being absorbed properly - then you will start seeing a difference behaviourally. Gluten though does take about 6-12 months to get out of the system. You can get good tasting GF pastas from health food stores.

I can't really control what he's eating at school,

---I assume he has an IEP? You can get it written in their that this diet has to be followed ( this is what I did) also GFCF school supplies too!! (like glue etc) Play dough is a common infraction because of the wheat it has in it.

other then the dairy (i.e. milk).

I give him juices (Juicy Juice--various flavors, Orange Juice and of course water),

Silk Soymilk,

---Soy is another major allergen and one that is constantly cropping up on the GFCFkids yahoo groups forum ( which I would encourage you to join!!) when families are first starting out on this diet - I urge you to drop the soy - their are all kinds of problems associated with it as it behaves fairly similarly to the milk proteins in how it affects our kids. What are you trying to replace in his diet by offering a milk sub? If you are thinking of calcium - well that has to have afew other things to be absorbed properly - like magnesium for instance. You could offer a cal-mag supplement - infact this is something that I would encourage you to do anyway.

but no sodas or other carbonate beverages. Definitely no chocolate or other candies and sweets.

----Good - all sugar does is suppress the immune system and cause hyper behaviour as well as feeding the yeast problems. It has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever. Another tip for starting this diet is try to avoid processed foods ( difficult I know)- only give whole foods - I aways think that my son maybe on a bland diet but at least I can take him anywhere with me - behaviourally he's great because of this diet and all the supplements he's on! Another handy thing to look into would be enzymes ( which help break down foods). These can be taken with every meal as well. .

Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,968,539 times
Consistent discipline is also necessary with kids with autism. Whatever you do, do not fall back on discipline. Find something that works and stick with it. Kids with autism need those boundaries, they need that consistency.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:52 PM

18,106 posts, read 15,621,234 times
Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) is useful for tracking and understanding your child's behavior and identifying what sorts of things in his or her environment potentially trigger different behaviors. When you see the patterns that start to emerge, it becomes much, much simpler to predict, head off, and prepare for possible negative behaviors, and ABA also teaches methods of reducing the behaviors that aren't preferred, and successfully reinforcing the ones that are preferred, encouraging more of the latter.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:43 AM

6,868 posts, read 12,968,539 times
I'd like to add to my post I made earlier on this subject. Diet is only part of the problem. Many kids "stim" because they're BORED! If your child is acting up in front of the TV, perhaps it's time to turn off the television or remove him from the room if turning it off isn't possible. Redirection works wonders--coloring books, modeling clay, chalk, going outside for a walk or a jaunt in a stroller, tickling/wrestling/gymnastics type stuff--boys especially need lots of physical play.

It sounds like you feel restricted because you live with someone else currently. I feel for you, but you will have to make accomodations and hopefully that will help your situation!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 AM

18,106 posts, read 15,621,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'd like to add to my post I made earlier on this subject. Diet is only part of the problem. Many kids "stim" because they're BORED! If your child is acting up in front of the TV, perhaps it's time to turn off the television or remove him from the room if turning it off isn't possible. Redirection works wonders--coloring books, modeling clay, chalk, going outside for a walk or a jaunt in a stroller, tickling/wrestling/gymnastics type stuff--boys especially need lots of physical play.
Exactly. Even if you're not doing ABA, it's the same basic principle...if the antecedent for the behavior is possibly TV time, try removing the TV exposure and redirecting and replacing it with something else and observing what happens. Removing the potential stimulus is something you can do by trial and error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children