Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times

Advertisements

My son's teacher called to inform me my son is not trying hard enough because he could not write down anything meaningful on the bombing on 9/11. I told her I was deeply disturbed by her wanting my son to give a less than honest answer; moreover, I don't know if he would have the words to articulate his emotional state of mind since developmentally he was only about three at the time. My son has been in a program with the same teacher for three years and I thought she had a good grasp of what his special need are and how best to meet them, but a cooking teacher with the support of the Special Ed staff in a mainstream class has flat out refused to modify appropriately her lessons in a manner consistent with my son's IEP and this seems to be okay with his teacher who is also his case manager. Her best suggestion was to rearrange my son's schedule with approximately six weeks left in the semester. This would mean my son would lose the classes he likes and is having success in. I totally need advice. Please anyone with recommendations chime in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM

134 posts, read 590,543 times
H ave you talk to the teacher if so then talk to them princaple if that dont work then get some advice from a lawyer .By law main stream classes are suppose to work with special ed teacher on your son Ieps.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Yes, definitely talk to the principal. If you find no relief there, try talking to the Director of Special Education within your district. In fact the principal may request the Director to be involved. Check also with the intermediate school district office. I don't what state you are from, but there should a special ed advocate who is mandated by the state to assist parents and students to see that IEP' are implemented properly and to make sure that state and federal statutes are administered within the guidelines. If that fails, then get a lawyer.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:10 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
This is deeply disturbing. One has to wonder what gets into some "educators" heads. I don't have much insight into what your childs specific needs are but my experience with "special ed" has been less than positive. My oldest son and my daughter were in the program here and I pulled them out and had them placed in the regular curriculum. (they are step children and I came in a little late) The special ed program here was keeping kids that had no real need to be there to keep thier budget up. Our kids did fine after the re-placement and graduated High School with honors. Your situation is probably a lot different but it can be very difficult to negotiate with School officials as many( around here any way) tend to be very overbearing with parents on specific program adjustments to a childs curriculum within the special ed system. getting legal advice before talking with the school officials may be prudent just so you know exactly what your rights are and the best way to make a stand. Best wishes.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:04 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
I'm a high school special ed teacher. All teachers, including regular ed, are required to give your son modifications stated on his IEP. It's federal law. As a case manager, when I come across teachers who are not following the IEP, I send an email to the teacher and CC it to the principal that reminds the teacher that he/she is violating a federal law and that the parent can call a due process hearing. I have always gotten good results with that tactic. You should not have to change his schedule. Threaten due process. They'll step up. By the way, there are a lot of great special ed programs and teachers. Please don't assume otherwise based on one or two examples.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:08 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Ok - thi sis where I would draw the line. It is impossible for a child to have a deep feeling or understanding about 9/11 if he/she were les than 8 years old. Even then it would be iffy.
My oldest was a sophomore, my youngest in 8th grade, and the only feelings they have about the day is remebering mom came to get them from school. We live very close to FortKnox, and with the chaos, took no chances.

Now that they are older and both fireman, they have feelings about the ff's who lost their lives, but the entire entense moments of the day hold little for them.
I think this teacher needs her head examined, and I believe I would head directly up the chain to get results for your son. Whomever is the highest ranking to make decisions about his placement needs to be notified, and something needs to be done.

You do not mess with a child who is perfectly content when there are special needs involved in the first place. I am in agreement to send an email, and maybe snailmail to the teacher and principle - let them understand you know the law and your rights and I am sure things will change. If not, follow through and make it happen.

Good luck, KimmieyKY

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
If the IEP is not being followed, they are breaking the law. You can call your state board of education and get a fair hearing request and file a written complaint. That usually takes care of any issues.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
I think you should reconvene the IEP and request the non modifying teacher attend. Ask her for data on her implementation of the modifications. Then move from there.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
Thank you everyone for the advice and ideas. I am now armed with a plan I did not have before because all of u took the time to chime in. I am still having a big problem with this teacher in particular and I am not satisfied with the actions of the teacher who has been assigned as the case manager. I have had one meeting so far and now I know to schedule another and go higher up. Again thank u all sincerely from my heart. U will never know just how much u have helped me shoulder the burden and inspired me to fight harder.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
You can also request that the case manager be changed. Contact the principal or special ed department chair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children