U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 AM

528 posts, read 1,329,146 times

Advertisements

We are moving (at the end of this school year) to NC from MI. My 4y.o. has an IEP for a learning disability (most likely either language or auditory processing delay). We are willing to send her to a public school if we feel it's the right fit for her, but I wonder the options for private schooling? My daughter would do well in a smaller class setting, but does not necessarily need to be in a class that serve others with IEP (at least not at this point). Do private schools typically take children with IEP's and have the resources to serve them? Do they help with tuition if the child has an IEP? If so, is it only certain schools that offer tuition assistance for those with an IEP?

I appreciate any insight. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:54 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,674,550 times
I will qualify this response by telling you first that I know nothing about Michigan and their laws or schools. This is just my experience in two different states.

The small Catholic school my oldest used to go to had no way to accommodate.

In my experience, which is simply as a parent, the public schools have more resources. Least Restrictive Environment means that your child will almost certainly be in a regular kindergarten classroom and there will be something set up through the IEP to accommodate those needs. Whether it is with the classroom aide, pullouts with the special ed teacher, or something else, it will likely be within the context of the regular classroom. Our public school does not have a special classroom for special ed kids.

I think unless you can prove that the public school cannot provide the services you need, the district will not pay private school tuition.

If you are willing to pay the tuition, you may find a school that can accommodate your child's needs.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:48 AM

282 posts, read 1,070,285 times
In IDEA 2004 (the federal special education law) there is a new provision that private schools may access a portion of the local school districts' federal funding to support programs for kids with IEPS at their schools. It is a bit convoluted as to how it all works, but here is a link that should help. IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004

Old 12-09-2008, 05:14 AM

528 posts, read 1,329,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaK View Post
In IDEA 2004 (the federal special education law) there is a new provision that private schools may access a portion of the local school districts' federal funding to support programs for kids with IEPS at their schools. It is a bit convoluted as to how it all works, but here is a link that should help. IDEA - Building The Legacy of IDEA 2004
This must be what our (current) administration is talking about. They were telling us that since we pay taxes, even if our child goes to private school, that assistance MUST be provided to our child.

My sister's son is in private school and has a speech therapist come in a couple days a week for him...this must be an example of just that.

It makes sense - we are still paying taxes which go toward public school funding. By not sending our kids to public schools, we are essentially not using our total portion - this allows us to use some of our portion of that pot of funds.

Thanks for your answers.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:29 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
It's also my understanding that once the private school accepts federal money they are then bound by IDEA and all it's regulations and so may choose not to take the money. You need to keep this in mind when thinking about private school and ask them how they handle and IEP if at all. Remember, no federal funds= no requirment to follow IDEA regulations.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:41 AM

620 posts, read 1,778,943 times
JimJ is absolutely right.

I have taught in both the private and public sector. When I did teach at the private schools, we did not PERSONALLY provide the services, however the public school did. We had students go to the public school for speech and resource, but the parent was responsible for transportation. The PUBLIC school must give your child the services he/she needs even if they do attend private school.

Many of private schools just do not have the resources or funds to provide services. Many private schools can also "screen" kids because they do not accept government money.

Good luck finding the best school for your child!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,288,454 times
I'm just echoing what others said. Private schools do not have to provide services and many don't. You are, however, eligible to get IEP services through the public school district, even if your child attends a private. This can also be difficult to navigate depending on your public school district and it may mean your child being transported to public schools for a portion of her day. All things being equal, I would really see if you can find a good public school district.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,777,240 times
My daughter had an IEP and was getting services in a private school in NY. I taught SPED and was providing services to several private school kids who were bussed over to the public school I taught at at the end of the day for resource. If that helps.... but it was in NY.... I am sure there might be a similar thing if not you can FIGHT for it. Nobody wants to step on the toes of a SPED parent if it is in WRITING and you create a serious paper trail.... but the key is the paper trail....

Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 AM

2,467 posts, read 11,288,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
My daughter had an IEP and was getting services in a private school in NY. I taught SPED and was providing services to several private school kids who were bussed over to the public school I taught at at the end of the day for resource. If that helps.... but it was in NY.... I am sure there might be a similar thing if not you can FIGHT for it. Nobody wants to step on the toes of a SPED parent if it is in WRITING and you create a serious paper trail.... but the key is the paper trail....
That is very true, but depending on how old your child is, if the school is doing transportation, etc, it can be very hard on the child/parent to have to take the child to a seperate school, especially if it is on a daily basis, if that is what the private schools require you to do. You can get access to this under the law; however, if you can find a great public school that can provide these services, it honestly may be easier for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children