Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 04:15 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times

Advertisements

I have a almost two year old that is still in a crib. She won't leave the sheet on her bed. THe issue is that she has picked a hole in the crib mattress. I fipped it and bought a mattress cover that is plastic and she has ripped two of those. She is adopted and has some issue and sleep is one so then she removes her clothes and diapers and now decided to destroy the mattress. I need to find a way to keep the sheet on. I know speacial needs parents have to find a lot of ways to do things that other parents don't need to or never thought of. I need something safe and I can only do basic sewing. I have no sewing machine. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 10:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Explore the possibility that it might be a security thing. Take her into your own bed for a week or so, and let her sleep next to you. See if she continues to exhibit the same behavior there. If she doesn't, at least you will have an idea of what's eating her. and you can start working from there. There is more involved than just mattress repair---there is xome child repaing that nees to be done.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:57 PM

515 posts, read 1,557,449 times
Agreed. Does she have separation issues at other times?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,332 times
It isn't seperation. She was a drug exposed child and she has sensory issues. She came to us at 2 weeks still having with draws. We had already adopted her brother from birth and he as well was drug exposed. Her bed and room is her safe haven. Her sleeping clock is not there. She does not sleep anywhere but her bed and does not adjust to any change at all. She is not a cuddle child because from birth she didn't like being touched a lot. I tried many things and she worked with Nurses and Early On. This issue not is just being almost two and seeing what you can do. I just need a suggestion to keep a crib sheet on the bed so that she can't reck the mattress. She has no problem being in bed she isn't mad. In fact as a baby she couldn't adjust being in the front room with all the movement. In fact she would return to her bed to regroup at times and then come out again. She is better now but like todat we were gone all day she never slept once in the car. She never does.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Discuss your issue with an upholstery shop. They might be able to make you an envelope out of indestructible but washable material that you can slip your mattress into. Kids are not very fussy about what they sleep on. Korean sleep on a wicker mat on the floor all their life. Consider a hammock.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:26 AM

268 posts, read 1,014,551 times
If you have thread and a needle, you can sew some elastic strips to the sheet. measure out the distance across the mattress and cut that length of elastic. I would put at least three or four strips. You will need to pull the mattress out of the crib and slide the sheet on the bed more like a pillow case rather than over the corners like a traditional sheet.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:19 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
you can try going to a drycleaner that does aleterations. Bring two sheets. Have them sew them together like a pillowcase. Just slide it on like a pillow.

Shouldn't cost too much... here it would be under $5.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
How about purchasing one of those extra long body pillow pillowcases of a soft jersey material and slip the mattress inside - they zip on the ends - and the excess legth can be hemmed up.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I know a while back a mom designed a sheet that goes over a crib mattress like a pillow case. She did this because her toddler dislodged the fitted crib sheet and ended up asphyxiating herself by getting wrapped up in it during her nap.

I forget what it is called and it was available when my oldest was a baby back in 1998, so I am not sure if it is still available.

I'd search for SIDS crib sheet or something like that.

Oh, here it is http://www.babysheets.com/home.html

Last edited by lisdol; 12-16-2008 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: found the product

Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 PM

54 posts, read 181,141 times
There are also those slipcovers for the mattresses that are more for allergy purposes, but would seal up the mattress tight. I've included an example from a website.

Zippered Mattress Covers - BedCare Elegance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children