U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 AM

347 posts, read 1,003,380 times

Advertisements

My son is supposed to get 1 hour of resource (one-on-one with his resource teacher) each day at school. First I heard he was getting 45 mins. But with another child. His resource teacher apparently didn't know it was 1 hour! Don't they read the IEP? Then I heard from someone else the teacher comes only 4 days a week. That's true. So I emailed and asked her about how many hrs and days she works with my son, but it was one of 2 questions in the email, and it did not get answered. Probably unintentionally. His teacher is sweet, and he is progressing... though not as much, I feel.

My question is: is there any way I can know for sure how much he is getting each day? Is there a log I can ask to look at? Is it supposed to be one-on-one, or is it okay to club him with another child? I need to know but I don't want to upset the teachers either... by appearing aggressive or whatever... that's why I asked via e-mail. But now I will have to ask more directly, and I don't know if that's a good idea. Not to mention I don't know how to approach this, how to ask...

Any suggestions? ideas? advise? from your experiences. Would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 PM

620 posts, read 1,779,107 times
First, I want to point out that I am a teacher taking a year off because we moved out of state...I will give you my 2cents.

I would not worry that you are going to upset the teacher. When I speak to my parents, I ALWAYS tell them, if you do not advocate for your child then who will? You have to advocate and get answers to your questions.

My guess is that the classroom teacher is advocating for your child, but often times resource teachers are so overextended and limited. It is pathetic really. It is possible that the resource teacher is only part time at the school. Lots of our resource teachers were. They would be split among several schools.

Often times, resource students do work with other students ( only a couple) that are at the same grade level. Usually, the students work on the exact same thing. Also, most of the times teachers try to coordinate personalties among the students so they at least can coexist during the limited time together. ( At least that is how it was in our schools.)

What grade is your son in? Can he tell you what time he is going to resource or when the resource teacher is coming into his classroom? I have worked at schools where sometimes the resource teacher does a combination of a pull out and in class method.

As a classroom teacher, I did not document when the student was getting serviced. The resource teacher had to document it. I did document when we had a "slack" resource teacher and went straight to my principal. Things sure changed when a principal had to get involved. You might have to go up the chain.

From now on, if I were you, when you send an email CC it to the principal also. I would tell the teacher that you want everyone on the same page. Also, it gives another set of eyes to the situation.

Ask for a meeting if you are not getting the answers you need. I can tell you from personal experience that its ALWAYS the parents that are involved that receive the most attention.

Please be the advocate your child needs. If he does have an IEP everyone is suppose to be following it to a T! Good luck.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
What grade is your son in? Can he tell you what time he is going to resource or when the resource teacher is coming into his classroom? I have worked at schools where sometimes the resource teacher does a combination of a pull out and in class method.
Raising3boys, Thank you so much for sharing. It was very helpful to read what you had to say. Especially to get the input from a teachers perspective. I hope all teachers are open minded like you are.

Most seem to be... but sometimes only time can tell for sure. And I know sometimes teachers get burdened, and even if they want to do more, they just are unable to. That used to happen to my mom, who is a retired teacher. (Though she never dealt with IEP's back then). That's one of the reasons I have trouble asking. I don't want to be a burden. But I also need to know my son is getting what he needs. What we outlined for him in the IEP.

To answer your question- my son is in kindergarten this year. He cannot tell me anything. he has some echolalic language- but really, it means nothing. He can't communicate his needs to me. Or even answer a simple question about something happening right then. If I ask him- Want Cookies or broccoli, he will say broccoli! If I say B or C, then he will say Cookies! So, no chance (yet) of his telling me anything about school. Guess I'll just have to press on and ask the teachers again. All this is a learning process for me too...

Thanks for sharing... and the advise and suggesstions. Much appreciated.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:00 AM

FarNorthDallas, Thank you so much for sharing. I wish you all the best with your son's education. Sounds like you have had a really rough time. I would love to try private schools, but we have chosen to pool our funds into bio-med interventions instead. Now if insurance would cover that... then maybe.... sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
What is your son's learning issue?
My son is Autistic, and he is 6 yrs old. With his autism come all the usual fine motor, sensory, speech and learning issues... he just doesn't understand what he's supposed to do. And then for something, suddenly it's like somebody flipped a switch to 'on'.

That's why I want to be sure he gets the full resource time allotted for him. It's possibly the only time he is learning well, since they do pull him out into a smaller and quieter room for that. After reading Raising3boys's post- i am not too worried now about his being paired with another child. Probably helps the socialization aspect.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,779,107 times
Shutterbug-

Is your son getting ALL the other services/ accommodations through the school that he is supposed to be getting? What is EXACTLY spelled out in his IEP? You know if something comes up, you can call a meeting to get something changed too.He must be doing great if he is only in resource 1 hour and mainstreamed the rest of the time.

At our school, we had the only class in the district that was for Autistic Students. It was wonderful for actually the entire school. The students based on ability and recommendations would be placed into our regular classes and to be able to socialize with others. I think it helped so many students on both sides. Two years ago it was piloted. The staff ratio was like 2:1 ( two students to one adult).

I think that you really do need to stay on top of everything just to make sure your son IS getting what he needs. Have you visited the school while it was in session? Go unannounced and announced!
Please, "listen" to how the teacher is speaking outside the door to your child. I cannot stress this enough especially if your child is autistic.

Good luck! Please let us know how things go.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM

603 posts, read 2,109,928 times
Individual Education Plan does not mean that he is taught individually. High school resource rooms, for example, can have up to 15 students in my district. It simply means that he/she has a plan to address his needs. So, yes, your son's teacher can teach more than your child at the same time. If he is supposed to have an hour daily and he's only getting 45 minutes, than you can address it to the teacher because his IEP isn't being met. It is the responsibility of the teacher to follow the IEP; do remember, however, that IEPs are between 9-15 pages for each child. That is a lot of information to keep track of and is sometimes difficult to do.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM

Charz, I don't expect or want my child to be taught individually- all the time. He needs the social setting of a classroom etc. And I know that's not what an IEP means... lol...! I was concerned about his not getting all his resource time, and somehow it was my understanding that the resourse time would be one-on-one teaching. But I can also see how teachers get overloaded. At the same time, I have noticed they encourage a so-called 'typical' child, and unintentionally (?) don't do the same for a 'special needs' child, since they don't expect him to perform like the rest of his class. But he really can... and in many cases he is way advanced... but I am having trouble getting through to his teachers. Sigh...

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 5,581 times
Default ?????

I really don.t know what to do. My son is 10 years old and has been seeing a Psychiatrist for about 3 years now. He is diagnosed with mood/anxiety disorder right now but I am speaking to the doctor about the possibility of asberger's now. My biggest problem (and his) is school. They lump all these kids together now; regular ed and special ed kids all together in the same class all day long! He can't take it! The special ed teacher barely does a thing for or with them. How can they do this? I cant understand how they can try to "treat everyone the same" when they are not. I don't want to keep my son from ever functioning in life on his own. But he is going to be traumatized for life this way. I have a hard enough time getting him up in the mornings to go to school in the first place. Now he realy doesn't want to go.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,778,679 times
Your Resource Teacher should have it logged. She SHOULD have known how many hours she was supposed to be seeing your child. That is horrible that she didn't. If you are not getting your questions answered with your childs resource teacher you can go directly to the Committee on Special Education and they will make SURE your child is getting the hours they require based on thier IEP. You can have a meeting called any time. A lot of times you must have it in written form for them to do something. Have a copy on hand for your files and a copy sent to the Committe (CSE), the Principal, and the Teacher. You are your child's advocate. I would go right to town. I used to teach SPED. I have a child who was just Declassified and I know it isn't easy to fight but you gotta do it. Each state is different....but MOST can't blow you off if you make a stink and create a paper trail..... so start it.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks, Skbs. Yeah, I asked again, and again the resource hours question was left unanswered. Looks like I'm gonna have to do this the hard way. Sigh... I guess, no pain, no gain. Trouble is, such 'fighting', so to speak, just eats up my day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children