Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Iam new to this but have a question.

My son now 3yesr has been diagnosed with PDD-Nos. He is s very mild, which I am truly blessed by, but there are some behavoial and aggressive problems he is having. he also seems to get in a zone and doesn't listne even when he is in danager. his speech is fabulous and physical abilityes are great, but want to help with his behavoir and other habitual things

SO I am planning on starting the GFCF diet this week..

I wanted to know what is a good cal Mag for your child and when do you give it.

Also if there are any other thoughts getting started. I have 4 kids and I am looking at recipes that fit us all, that are things we'd normally eat so that is making it easier.

Thanks in advance, I'd love any thoughts.

Blessings,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 PM

177 posts, read 815,057 times
[quote=twoandtwo;6491429]Hi there,

Iam new to this but have a question.

My son now 3yesr has been diagnosed with PDD-Nos. He is s very mild, which I am truly blessed by, but there are some behavoial and aggressive problems he is having. he also seems to get in a zone and doesn't listne even when he is in danager. his speech is fabulous and physical abilityes are great, but want to help with his behavoir and other habitual things

Aggressiveness problems can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast in the GI tract - check into Anti-fungals like Olive Leaf Extract, Oil of Oregano and Biotin - ( these are all natural btw - if you want prescriptions then - nystatin, nizoral are good).

SO I am planning on starting the GFCF diet this week..

Good for you!!!! My advice to you would be to go CF first because this then enables you to determine whether dairy is a problem or not. Casein takes about one month to be removed from the body. Good substitutes would be rice/almond/potato milk - (not soy - because soy behaves similarly to milk for our kids). Gluten takes about 6 months to a year to be removed from the body. So, doing it gradually would be better really than going cold turkey.

I wanted to know what is a good cal Mag for your child and when do you give it.

It is great that you know to give Calcium and magnesium because magnesium helps to absorb calcium. Good sites to look at would be:
http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDetails@Product_ID@118.aspx

Also: www.eidon.com does some colorless and tasteless liquid minerals which are great.

What's good about Kirkman is that you can order a trial size for about $3 in case your kid doesn't tolerate it for some reason you haven't wasted too much money.

Also if there are any other thoughts getting started. I have 4 kids and I am looking at recipes that fit us all, that are things we'd normally eat so that is making it easier.

If you look upon this diet as avoiding processed foods and going natural and organic then that is the way to go. Cook whole chickens for dinner and then use the carcass to make soup. Make your own organic french fries using safflower oil. Try to eat vegetables lightly cooked - broccoli is great for natural sources of calcium. Start reducing his consumption of sugar especially cane sugar. Do not allow him any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives - these are implicated in ADHD.

Thanks in advance, I'd love any thoughts.

Blessings,

Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,128 times
Thank you SO cuh I will read carefully with the kids go to bed and see what to do. I went shopping today... and wow it more exopensicebut it willbe worth it..
i really appreciate your info.

Kim

Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,194 times
Dont forget to keep your receipts, the GF/diet foods are a medical necessity and are tax deductible

GF/CF didnt really help us much, but my only piece of advice is to stick to it 100% and wait it out even if it seems like nothing is happening within the first few weeks. Gluten/Casein needs to be fully out of the body to give good results.

Good luck!!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,891 times
Good luck. I suggest slowly introducing the new foods into your family. Let everyone get used to the different tastes and textures before you go full on GF/CF. The diet made no difference for my daughter with autism. But it made a huge difference for my nephew with severe autism. My nephew also has a dairy free diet and that has helped. I never believed in those diets until I saw the difference with my nephew. We also buy vitamin supplements and fish oil from kirkland.

I had the best luck with making most breads home made. There are differnet bread, muffin, pancake mixes that are available and taste good. Some are not great and I quickly found out which ones to avoid. We found some excellent snack foods. We still get a tortilla chip made from beans that is very yummy. I wish I had a package here to give you the brand name.

I agree with poconosmama about sticking it out. It can take a few months to get the diet in full gear. So don't give up. It gets easier after a few months once you have figured out what works best for your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children