U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 AM

573 posts, read 1,480,236 times

Advertisements

I'm in need of guidance and I am hoping I can be steered in the right direction.

One of my friends has a younger brother who has Down Syndrome. He is 22. My friend that has been taking care of him has been going down the tubes for the past year. He's been abusing drugs and has a drinking problem. His brother sits at home all day watching tv, playing video games, eating junk, and drinking 3 2-liters of soda EVERY DAY. He has circulatory problems now (I'm thinking it's from the lack of exercise) and occassionally has to walk w/ a walker. He rarely sees a doctor. He actually rarely sees the light of day, it's very sad.

A group of us had held an intervention of sorts a few months back, but the only thing that transpired was him cutting everyone out of his life except me and one other person. While my friend was away in Vegas this weekend, I popped in on his DS brother. Apparently the water had been turned off due to non-payment, so the toilets were full of you know what and there was no drinkable water.

The brother also has a history of abusing their little dog. I told my friend I would take care of the dog and that his brother needed to see a psychiatrist or a social worker. He didn't want me to take the dog b/c it gives his brother company.

I am at my wits end. My friend does not have the right mind to care for someone w/ special needs. He is often left alone to fend for himself, and I believe he is in complete denial about what it takes to care for his brother.

The mother is homeless....he has an aunt dying of cancer....and the father will not take an active interest in him.

So my question is, where do I begin to get help? If I were to report him to DCF (which I don't even know if that's the right place), what would happen to his brother? Do they have "homes" for special needs people? I don't want to see him suffer anymore, I'd love to find him a home where he can enjoy the outdorrs, get medical care and just basically thrive and have joy in life. I feel like his life is decaying one day at a time.

If anyone knows where a good starting point and/or you have advice to throw at me, I'm all ears. Thank you everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 AM

733 posts, read 1,722,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
I'm in need of guidance and I am hoping I can be steered in the right direction.

One of my friends has a younger brother who has Down Syndrome. He is 22. My friend that has been taking care of him has been going down the tubes for the past year. He's been abusing drugs and has a drinking problem. His brother sits at home all day watching tv, playing video games, eating junk, and drinking 3 2-liters of soda EVERY DAY. He has circulatory problems now (I'm thinking it's from the lack of exercise) and occassionally has to walk w/ a walker. He rarely sees a doctor. He actually rarely sees the light of day, it's very sad.

A group of us had held an intervention of sorts a few months back, but the only thing that transpired was him cutting everyone out of his life except me and one other person. While my friend was away in Vegas this weekend, I popped in on his DS brother. Apparently the water had been turned off due to non-payment, so the toilets were full of you know what and there was no drinkable water.

The brother also has a history of abusing their little dog. I told my friend I would take care of the dog and that his brother needed to see a psychiatrist or a social worker. He didn't want me to take the dog b/c it gives his brother company.

I am at my wits end. My friend does not have the right mind to care for someone w/ special needs. He is often left alone to fend for himself, and I believe he is in complete denial about what it takes to care for his brother.

The mother is homeless....he has an aunt dying of cancer....and the father will not take an active interest in him.

So my question is, where do I begin to get help? If I were to report him to DCF (which I don't even know if that's the right place), what would happen to his brother? Do they have "homes" for special needs people? I don't want to see him suffer anymore, I'd love to find him a home where he can enjoy the outdorrs, get medical care and just basically thrive and have joy in life. I feel like his life is decaying one day at a time.

If anyone knows where a good starting point and/or you have advice to throw at me, I'm all ears. Thank you everyone.
Call the police and have them do a welfare check. They can get the ball rolling for you. They have the resources and can get both of them some help, especially the boy with DS. They will call social services and get care for the boy with DS, I'm sure if you talk with them and they can ask and see if you can care for the dog.

Honestly, you aren't doing him any favors by not getting him help right away....

Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 PM

282 posts, read 1,072,001 times
Contact your state department of health and human services. They should have a developmental disability group that can help you, and a group dedicated to abuse/neglect for dependent adults. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,363,623 times
Contact someone now! Adult Protective Services will go in and make sure he is being taken care of.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM

2,890 posts, read 4,204,815 times
Yes, you need to contact Adult Protective Services, I don't know about Florida, but here in Oregon there are group homes for people with these types of disabilities. My wife is a manager for a home in our area, she really enjoys working with her group, she provides supervision and direction in their everyday activities and makes sure their everyday needs are met.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 11,361 times
Default i'm in orlando

Contact Down Syndrome Ass'n. of Central Florida. The phone is 407-478-5621.
They have tons of resources and years of experience in many areas.
If they can't help they will know who can.
Keep us updated.
gc

Old 02-18-2009, 11:13 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,654,818 times
This man should have a caseworker if he is recieving any kind of public assistance or SSI. If APS or DSS doesn't take action, contact this caseworker and plead this man's case. When the water was off would have been a perfect time for emergency intervention and placement. If the brother is on drugs and such, there should be a guardian appointed who will look after the best intrests of the DS man's health, welfare, and financial dealings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children