U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 16,394 times

Advertisements

Hi. I created a new username to post here just because I am asking a question about my child and want to protect his privacy. Under my usual CD username I post in my local forum in addition to other general forums, and it might be easy for someone who knows me IRL to figure out who I am.

I noticed that the attendance box for the SLP is checked on an upcoming IEP meeting for my son, who had just been evaluated by the district psych for a behavioral assessment so we can add a behavior intervention plan to the IEP.

It is quite possible that the SLP box is checked simply because she is a member of the multi-disciplinary team, though she has never attended his meetings. It is also possible she won't be at this one.

I know I will have to wait til the meeting to find out everything (and that is why there is a meeting) but I am doing some thinking about what SLPs treat in the school setting beyond noticeable articulation errors. I am see the educational diagnostician (who is in charge of coordinating the meetings) every couple of weeks in passing at the school and I am going to ask her if there is anything I should be aware of so I can be prepared for the meeting.

In the meantime, can anyone suggest to me areas to start thinking about? I can do the research myself if you can just point me in the right direction. His primary IEP area addresses giftedness and he has no discernible articulation errors. Problems with pragmatic language or language processing problems related to poor social skills is really the only thing I have come up with. CAPD does not seem to fit him. Do SLPs work on social skills in reference to interacting verbally with peers? That could be it.

I know its kind of a futile exercise until I can talk to the ED and find out if the SLP is going to be there for a specific reason or just because she is a member of the MDT, but its hard to ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM

63 posts, read 222,779 times
My son is autistic and the SLP has been at every IEP we have ever had for him in several different states. They are invited because they are part of the team. SLP do work on helping with social skills and interacting verbally with peers. In our school she helps give advice to the other staff to help them know how to get him to better interact socially also. I wouldn't worry about the SLP being their the more people on your childs meeting the better for you in my opinion. The therapists need to know what each other is seeing and doing so they can work best as a team. Anyway that is my opinion.

Good Luck

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM

8 posts, read 16,394 times
Yeah. I'm just wondering if now that she is attending, they are planning on having him receive services from her, which he has not in the past (He's 10 now). And what does that mean? I would love to have any and all help with him and his social skills. I have to keep a close eye on him when we are out at things where there is a lot of social interaction among kids - he tends to overreact and get upset easily, and can be rather immature. He has a huge disparity between academic/intellectual development and social/emotional development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children