Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:09 PM

134 posts, read 332,066 times

Advertisements

Every Aspergers case is different.

My daughter is turning 20 and was diagnosed at around age 12. Prior to that we had taken her to several different places including Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore and no one could tell us why she behaved the way she did....acting out, etc. K-K actually suggested it was sleep apnea!!

Finally we had genetic testing done at The DuPont Children's Hosp. in Wilimington DE. When they couldn't find anything genetically wrong, they diagnosed her as Aspergers mainly by the way we answered 12 pages of redundant questioning.
She is just barely in the spectrum.
But it was enough to cause quite a lot of problems in school thru the years....acting out in anger and frustration mostly.
She graduated off the stage, on time with her class, but I have to admit I was so glad it was over!!

She wanted to make friends, to be included, to go to parties!!
She never stops talking! She is outgoing, friendly, intelligent.
But, she has a slight problem socially because she is somewhat immature for her age.

However, thanks to her laptop and the internet she has about 400 friends online and is deeply involved in Japanese anime.
I think she's found her niche.

Aspergers is so very hard to deal with because sometimes it's so slight, and the child themself knows something is different, but no one knows just how to deal with it.

Our problem was always Is it Aspergers, or is it just the Age?
Was she being a perfect little b**** at 15 because she was 15, or because she was a 15yr old with Aspergers?

We never knew where the line was.

I can say that now that she's 20, life is easier. No pressure from the schools anymore. (No more IEP meetings!!)

I do know that if there's a Heaven, I've got a reserved spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:14 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
My 9 yr old has Aspergers?

Any advice out there from other parents?
Play dates!

I'm not a parent, but as a clinician I recommend play dates with other children who have Asperger's. The parents mutually support one another and can relate to what you're going through like no one else can, and kids who have Asperger's learn that there are others like them. It can be a very positive and affirming experience for all.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
Question my son has aspergers

I had a very similar experience with my son. Unfortuneately he was mis-diagnosed with a daydreaming form of ADD for years and he has just recently been diagnosed with aspergers. He is very big into the online Anime (sp?) but he did have meltdowns and problems in school. He was a little happier to be without friends although most kids like him okay, just wondered why he wasn't a big talker in conversation but could go on for hours in a one-sided conversation telling them about something he was interested in. Any how I have a question for you about your 20 year old daughter, is she going to get a job, or does she already have one. With chores around the house, unless some one is standing over my son he will daydream for hours. I am so concerned now that he's getting older (he's fifteen) that he may have a serious problem holding down a job and he does so much better on a definite schedule it would be great for him to keep busy in the summertime. I really would like for him to be a responsible adult when he gets older and live on his own, but I know he will need a lot of help to reach that point. Does your daughter do fine in this regard, or is there help out there for older kids?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy4now View Post
I had a very similar experience with my son. Unfortuneately he was mis-diagnosed with a daydreaming form of ADD for years and he has just recently been diagnosed with aspergers. He is very big into the online Anime (sp?) but he did have meltdowns and problems in school. He was a little happier to be without friends although most kids like him okay, just wondered why he wasn't a big talker in conversation but could go on for hours in a one-sided conversation telling them about something he was interested in. Any how I have a question for you about your 20 year old daughter, is she going to get a job, or does she already have one. With chores around the house, unless some one is standing over my son he will daydream for hours. I am so concerned now that he's getting older (he's fifteen) that he may have a serious problem holding down a job and he does so much better on a definite schedule it would be great for him to keep busy in the summertime. I really would like for him to be a responsible adult when he gets older and live on his own, but I know he will need a lot of help to reach that point. Does your daughter do fine in this regard, or is there help out there for older kids?
I would suggest looking into your states vocational rehab program. You want to get started real soon to prepare him for the working world. Our voc rehab dept is counseling our son in how to deal with job issues and they can assist in finding jobs and depending on if you qualify will pay for job training like a technical course at a junior college. I'd also suggest talking with SSI to get him started on that as well. Our son is able to work about 20 hours a week but his ability to retain a job is spotty at best and will need the income from SSI to survive.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,162 times
Default Help for child with as

My grandson has aspergers and our school system is not helping so my daughter and son-in law are trying to find out other options , perhaps a school for AS children or home school. We really need some help and haven't been able to connect with the right people. We live in Parkesburg, Pa and it is in Chester County but we have not found any support groups of parents that we may be able to get some help from. We have left messages but don't get any responses, we are truly at our wits end because the school is threatening to file charges for truancy. He is just so anxious and afraid to go. If anyone can give us some advice we would be very grateful. My email is TFarrell100 at comcast.net. I am trying this forum but I really don't know much about computers so I don't know if I will be able see if I get any responses. We truly do not know how to proceed.
Thanks so much,
Terry

Old 11-20-2010, 01:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Terry01, I sent you an email. I am not in PA, so I can only offer general information. I hope what I sent helps.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times
Default Help for kids with Aspergers

My 9 yr old grandson has aspergers also. He walks on his tip toes which is common in a lot of Aspie kids. If your child has this problem get help for them as soon as possible as it can become a major. My GS is about to have Botox injections in his legs, and if that doesn't help he will have to be put in splints to try and straighten his legs. The earlier this problem is sorted the quicker and easier the result. Always get as much help as you can - don't rely on others to find out for you as they don't have the same interests at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children