U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,125,264 times

Advertisements

I have a son with AS. About a month ago they put him on yet another medicine. He seems to get more aggressive when on them. We have tryed concerta, vyvance and adderall. Now what? I keep taking him off because he ends up to mean and angry! What do I do? Try another med? Pull him off? Help! (I may have posted this before but do not remember so if I did sorry!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,674,550 times
I don't know what vyvance is, but the rest sound like the regular traditional ADHD meds, which are stimulants. I have heard of things like Clonidine and I think, Risperdal, for AS. You may wish to look into something down a different tack from the ADHD stimulant meds, since I suspect they may all have similar effects on his aggression. Document his reaction for your psychiatrist or family doc so you can show why you want something different.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,010,430 times
My sons all take Risperdal. Obviously if he is aggressive that isn't good. Are you giving the medications enough time to kick in?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:36 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,839,613 times
Vyvanse is also a stimulant, but it's supposed to have fewer side effects. I tried this and several other ADHD meds for my son -- none worked for long. He would become more aggressive and moody, although some of them helped with focus. The aggression would worsen over time. I've tried many other types of meds, except for the highest level ones. They all impacted him negatively, and that impact lasted for a while after I took him off each med. Now, I have him on nothing. That seems to work the best for him, ironically.

I'm not anti-med. I support children taking medication as they need it, if it works. I've heard good things about Clonidine and Tenex (basically clonidine without the sedation), and Risperdal is approved for children with autism.

Stimulants don't need a lot of time to kick in, since they aren't level-building drugs like Risperdal. But it's certainly possible that the body would need time to adjust to a medication's side effects. Many time, the side effects outweigh the benefits.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,318,114 times
We did the meds (for anxiety and adhd symptoms) and while they allowed my daughter to cope with public school, they blunted her to an unacceptable extreme. We took her off meds when we started homeschool, and it was a much better choice, for us. (note qualifier)

Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
We use Strattera which is a non stimulant non addictive med that has worked well for the last 2 years. We went through all the amphetamines and didn't like the side affects. Haven't found any with Strattera.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 AM

733 posts, read 1,719,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
I have a son with AS. About a month ago they put him on yet another medicine. He seems to get more aggressive when on them. We have tryed concerta, vyvance and adderall. Now what? I keep taking him off because he ends up to mean and angry! What do I do? Try another med? Pull him off? Help! (I may have posted this before but do not remember so if I did sorry!)
My first question would be: what is it that you feel he needs the meds for? Depending on what your child is doing that he needs meds for, would depend on what meds you may want to consider.

I have identical twins. One of my sons takes Risperidone and it has been great for him. The other couldn't handle it, and the issues he was having are different from his brother. He went thru a series of drugs: Zoloft, Risperidone, Tenex, Strattera, and now he is on Prozac.

The tenex, strattera, and risperidone all had horrible side effects for him. Made him seem upset, angry, and out of sorts. The Zoloft and Prozac have both worked well, but it was like he outgrew the zoloft, and that is why we are now on prozac. He has been doing WAY better.

So depending on the child, and what issues you are having, I suggest you consult with your doctor and talk about what you see and what you feel is causing him issues, then talk about all the med options that are available and with your doctors help, you should be able to find something that will help.

It takes time and patience and a lot of keeping track what is going on with your child on the different meds, to be able to find something suitable for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children