Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:47 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times

Advertisements

So my first grader has not been doing well in his reading the entire first grade. He attends Mckinney ISD, Texas and always gets 1's and 2's in reading and writing. He was placed in tier 3 ( I think that's the highest) and has had the dyslexia testing. Today I met with his counselor and she said he did not meet the qualifications for dyslexia. Now, my DH has dyslexia, and deep in my heart I believe my DS does too. He is a young 6 year old and the counselor suggested we retain him in 1st grade. Mind you, he scored very high on some IQ test, in the 94%, but when it came to non-verbal his score was 1/2 as high. She said he can go onto 2nd grade but by this time all first graders should be in DRA 20-22 and mine is only at 8?? I don't know what DRA is, but he does know how to read, it's just that he takes his time and his self esteem is suffering. My other two kids, they are October babies and have always been VERY good readers, so I am wondering, any parents out there that have similar experiences? I asked DS tonight about being a 1st grade helper next year and he seemed thrilled but later at bath time he asked, "what about all my friends, they'll be in 2nd grade"? Then right before bedtime he says "Mama, I'll do whatever you want me to do 1st or 2nd" he is such a good boy and so sharp. I had his eyes checked, and he does wear glasses (he is far sighted). I just don't know what to do. I have a few days for the form to be returned saying we want to retain him in 1st grade. The counselor said that he can go on to 2nd and they would "hand pick" his teacher and watch him for any other learning disabilities. I just don't want him to be bored in 1st grade but then I don't want him to call himself dumb anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
My first question is why the school didn't work on this more before now. I mean, did they try some strong, proactice solutions before suggesting retention? This problem has been going on all school year, right?

Second question, was the testing school-administered?

Third (and fourth) questions, does your son have an IEP? Or did you request an evaluation for an IEP, and the testing was a result of the request?

One more question: if the testing was school-administered, have you considered further testing (neuropsych) by an independent source? I would recommend it, because it seems that the testing so far has ruled out certain things but hasn't given you any answers.

Sorry for all the questions, lol. But the answers will help determine the course you will need to take.

If the only thing holding him back is reading, I would be inclined to have him undergo some tutoring this summer (starting now, really) and let him go to second grade. That's because if the school is just going to have him repeat without doing anything different, then it may not be productive. I like the counselor's idea of sending him on, hand-picking the teacher and keeping an eye out for LDs.

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Thanks. After much prayer and pondering we have decided to let him go on to 2nd grade. I will be looking for a tutor for the summer and to get him into a testing center. It's quite expensive but the alternative would be to send him to Scottish Rite hospital and there is a long waiting list.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Another factor in holding kids back is how common is that practice? Sometimes the kids are fine with it because a good number of them are held back, they don't have to feel like it is unusual but in other cases, it's rare and the child will feel that.

I think the summer program, with a completely different setting than the school is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children