U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,105,301 times

Advertisements

I have a 3 year old. She is very smart and playful. But she throws epic tantrums if a certain TV show is not on. The TV HAS to be on at all times. People tell me not to give in, but she starts throwing things and hitting and screaming. She does this over all kinds of stuff, but the TV she is obessed with. it is impossible to take her out unless she can keep moving or doing something, otherwise she screams and we are forced to leave wherever we are.

She is not potty trained yet, but my 15 month old is already trying to use the potty, so I know it's not me failing at potty training.

She wont let me wash her hair properly, she screams and hits. She has crud on her scalp because I can't get in to scrub and rinse properly. I do as much as I can. but she throws such a fit it makes it so difficult.

She runs off all the time. I am so worred about her when she starts school, I am afraid she will just run off. I don't know how any teacher wil be able to control her.

Does this sound like she might be autisic? by the way, her peditrican isn't much of a help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 09:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 8,146,804 times
I had/have similar concerns with my son, but I think he's not autistic. He was lining up cars and other things since he was 2 (he's 4.5 now). He was preoccupied with lines and zigzag lines and other shapes made of objects. He mirrored sometimes what was told to him. He went through fears that lasted months at a time (fears of the bath time, yes - piercing screaming. Fears of june bugs, fears of loud noises (power tools). Right now we are going through the fear of dogs, - but all the previous fears have disappeared).

He gets wild in crowds (yet, he's the most content child if you leave him alone with his play). Containing him in doctors' waiting rooms or at summer fairs is a struggle - he never stands still, he needs to run/circle around you/jump/lay on the ground. As long as he has one-to-one attention he will do what is asked but through much coaxing. Hence, any swimming classes he takes, he consumes 40-50% of the instructor's time and energy. I can't enroll him into other types of sports because he will run away and will never listen.

I had my concerns about him going to school because of this.

However. It's getting better! You can see that he's out of the toddler stage now (the toddler stage with this behavior, lasted till he turned 4) and is easier to talk to and reason with him of why we do things the way we do them. It's still hard to get him to be "normal" in crowds.

Last year between 3 and 4 saw remarkable increase in maturity. I hope we'll gain some more between 4 and 5 and he'll be better ready for school. Good thing he's a winter boy and will be 5.5 going to K. Some more time to grow.

The most important thing is - he's social, he plays with the kids, and he looks you in the eye. These most important autistic traits are missing. Hence, I treat him as a child with this peculiar personality. How about these traits in your child?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

753 posts, read 2,223,805 times
Autiustic children tend to not acknowlegde others. Such as no eye contact.

But since you are concerned, you should find a child pyschologist and have them evaluate her. At the very least, they will be able to help you deal with her behaviors.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:22 PM

109 posts, read 320,233 times
Yes, autism affects individual children differently. I have two kids with autism spectrum and both have completely different issues, traits and treatment. Get evaluated. If there a long wait at the child psychologist, then call your state's Birth to 3 program and they can get basic screening done and treatment started while you are waiting for official diagnosis. Autism is marked by loss of skills before the age of 3. Asperger's Syndrome has no loss of skills so tend to result in higher functioning. get connected with autism groups in your local area as soon as possible for guidance to the right places and people to contact.

Good luck

Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 PM

449 posts, read 1,481,354 times
I agree a psych evaluation would be helpful - there is an autism "checklist" which I know they used for my dd. In her initial diagnosis didn't include autism because she was more social - it wasn't added till she was older and she met almost 90% of behaviors, etc of that checklist. Autism just wasn't considered much back when she was a toddler, she definitely had most of those behaviors long before the added diagnosis. I wish I would have known earlier because we could have done more for her sooner. She had a big problem with baths as in non-stop screaming the whole time- that was/is a sensory integration problem for her. Like some other posters have mentioned, there can be a variety of issues, treatments. Behaviors can be for many different reasons and some solutions work for different diagnosis but similar behaviors (ie my dd's tendancy to tantrum could be the MR and/or the autism and/or extraordinary sensory issues, whichever, she still needs to learn to control herself) - you really need to consult a professional who can evaluate the "whole picture" of your child.

I know Easter Seals can be a great resource to help with evaluations, developmental issues. They did a free initial basic screening when she was a toddler because early intervention can make such a huge difference. And they helped us find out what steps to take to get help.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM

753 posts, read 2,223,805 times
I started by contacting Easter Seals when I knew something was not right with my son. They didn't do the testing, but they told me where to go and how to get the school involved. I always tell people, if you think there might be something wrong, see a professional. It's better to be wrong than to not do anything and find out you should have done something.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:00 PM

21 posts, read 67,945 times
My son is autistic and was diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician. Depending on where you live I have heard they are very hard to get into but well worth it. Our pediatrician told us our son was fine and nothing was wrong. she was very wrong and we no longer see her. Our new pediatrician is wonderful. You have to surround yourself with good people who are willing to listen to your concerns and look into them. the last thing you want is to say nothing is wrong and then all this time go by and she could have been getting help. I hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM

36,701 posts, read 41,980,792 times
Is there a language delay?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:48 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,158,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Is there a language delay?
There is language delay with High Functioning Autism but not with Asperger's Syndrome - that is the only difference btw them

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,106,933 times
Children are different, but it doesn't sound like autism to me. I have 3 sons with Asperger's. She should be evaluated though. I think she either just simply has behavioral issues, or maybe a defiance disorder. Do not let her run the household, it will only get worse the older she gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children