U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 PM

105 posts, read 307,292 times

Advertisements

We have a 23 year old son with Down's Syndrome, and currently reside in Wisconsin. We have excellent support and services here for special needs. He moved from high school into a sheltered workshop and is very happy.

I am considering job opportunities in either New Mexico, or near Denver, Colorado. However, any decision we make will depend on the special needs services available to assure our son can continue to work, and be part of the community.

I am doing research, and have contacted both states, but I was hoping that there may be people in this 'community' who may be willing to share their thoughts or experiences regarding services available for adults with special needs (especially as it relates to work environments) in these two states.

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,674,550 times
ARCA: Opening Doors (http://www.arc-a.org/services/employment.htm - broken link)

Is this helpful?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
ARCA: Opening Doors (http://www.arc-a.org/services/employment.htm - broken link)

Is this helpful?
Yes...very.
We have something similar here in Wisconsin, but I don't think they offer the job placement like this one.
Thank you very much...and Albuquerque is the most likely city anyway!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:13 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,674,550 times
I live outside of Albuquerque and our local grocery store (Smiths) employs DD baggers during the weekday. There is a job coach that works with them - she joins in in bagging, sometimes at the next register, sometimes at the same one. I don't know if they come from ARCA or another agency.

Someone in the Albuquerque forum might have more information on other agencies, if there are some (I would think so).

Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,335,883 times
We have a large population of individuals with needs so we have lots of programs. (adults and children) I am in the Colorado Springs area. We have the Alpine Center, an equestrian center that individuals with needs come to to take care of horses and ride, BACBs who come into certain school districts and work with adults, a transportation system, and the list goes on.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
We have a large population of individuals with needs so we have lots of programs. (adults and children) I am in the Colorado Springs area. We have the Alpine Center, an equestrian center that individuals with needs come to to take care of horses and ride, BACBs who come into certain school districts and work with adults, a transportation system, and the list goes on.

Thank you....I have gotten some information from a DS group in Denver too. Sounds like this won't be an issue if we head to Colorado. One less thing to worry about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children