U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,926,197 times

Advertisements

A friend told me that Asperger's Syndrome is genetic and is usually passed down. Is this true? Are there any statistics on how likely this is to happen?

My husband had AS as a child, and still shows some of the negative aspects of it, i.e., disorganized, impulsive, has difficulty completing things. I worry that any children we have may inherit this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:10 AM

733 posts, read 1,720,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
A friend told me that Asperger's Syndrome is genetic and is usually passed down. Is this true? Are there any statistics on how likely this is to happen?

My husband had AS as a child, and still shows some of the negative aspects of it, i.e., disorganized, impulsive, has difficulty completing things. I worry that any children we have may inherit this.
It can be, but it isn't the only way or so they think. Genetics and environment factors are considered. I *believe* the stats are if you have a child with Autism, then you have a 50% chance of having another one.....

Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM

753 posts, read 2,218,528 times
It's more likely that if you have any mental health diagnosis that your children will have a mental health issue too. But it isn't always the same diagnosis. For example, my mother is schizophrenic, my sister is bipolar.

When I was a kid, my older sister always use to say I was autistic, because I was a little "off". I have noticed some things I do as an adult that are a little "off". I noticed my son has a lot of similar "off" behaviors. We are a lot alike in some ways, which is why I never really thought much about his off behaviors, I figured he just got them from me. He was diagnosed with Aspergers. And when I think about the diagnosis and all it entails, I probably could have been diagnosed with it.

The DSM does not have a percentage listed for inherited rates.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM

515 posts, read 1,390,573 times
phwalls, my DH and I have had this same talk about our AS son, DH, and DH's father. Same thing. They're all pages out of the same book. It helps me to understand both of them, and I always said DH was more like his dad than he could see. I also have an ASD son. All of these things combined help me understand why my AS son is the way he is, and to a point, how he thinks. It's nice to have someone there to say, "Yesh, I was like that too, and here's what I was thinking at the time."

I also noted that on my own side of the family, there's a long line of ADHD, diagnosed or not, going back generations. I see traits of it in myself. Then, there's the AS on DH's side, again, diagnosed or not (though DS is diagnosed). My son has both, along with generalized anxiety disorder.

In my own experience, These things can run in families. I also have a daughter who has none of them, though. So really, it's just hit-and-miss.

~D

Old 07-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Autism Risk - Risk Factors for Autism - Should Parents of An Autistic Child Have a Second Child?

"Families with one autistic child do have an increased risk of having a second child with the disorder"

"Recent research now confirms that the risk of having a child who will be eventually diagnosed on the autistic spectrum is one in 150. In some parts of the country, it is close to one in 100. Even more sobering is that the chances of having a second child with autism are over five percent."

Wired 9.12: The Geek Syndrome

"If parents have had one autistic child, the risk of their second child being autistic rises from 1 in 500 to 1 in 20. After two children with the disorder, the sobering odds are 1 in 3. (So many parents refrain from having more offspring after one autistic child, geneticists even have a term for it: stoppage.)"

Autism Information -autism in siblings

Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 AM

515 posts, read 1,390,573 times
Great resources, excellent post! Thanks!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,727,694 times
Sobering stats.
My husband and I run an AS support group and one of our members has 3 kids. Kid #1 (male) has AS, Kid #2 has quite severe autism but it took forever for him to be diagnosed and they went on to have kid #3(girl) who also has issues.

Now they seem tormented to find out WHY and what caused it.

The woman and her husband (she says) both had issues as children and both are a bit off (her words).

Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmom View Post
Great resources, excellent post! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sobering stats.
My husband and I run an AS support group and one of our members has 3 kids. Kid #1 (male) has AS, Kid #2 has quite severe autism but it took forever for him to be diagnosed and they went on to have kid #3(girl) who also has issues.

Now they seem tormented to find out WHY and what caused it.

The woman and her husband (she says) both had issues as children and both are a bit off (her words).
Glad I could provide

With all the information out there, it isn't unreasonable for people to find the stats correlating to Autism/Aspergers Syndrome. It is however a bit sobering. I have identical twins who are severely autistic and have Fragile X. Had we known that Fragile X ran in the family they could have tested for it.

It wasn't until I had my kids that they were able to trace it back...

After being heavily involved in the Autism and Fragile X communities for 11 years, I have taken a bit of a step back, but the information is still coming and they are still learning new things all the time.....

Old 11-09-2009, 04:06 AM

109 posts, read 319,374 times
Yes, Autism Spectrum IS genetic. My family is living proof. I have three kids with two different husbands. There is only one among all six of us who would not qualify for the diagnosis in some way. It also turned out that our parents could have met the diagnosis as well as a great-grandparent. Many (both husbands, their grandfathers) were diagnosed with other things but as it turns out it was only because Autism was only recognized in US when severe (state hospitals for autistic children were commonplace prior to psych reform).

Autism is an epidemic because undiagnosed folks are meeting similar people and having kids. All the gene carriers are having kids so the chances increase.

Autism spectrum existed long before thermisol was used in shots. Dr. Asperger noticed these traits in the 1940's!!!!!!! It is not really new but numbers of carriers increased with better infant health care in the 1970's. Read Tony Atwood's book, Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome to find out how long the disorder has been classified in Europe but NOT in the US.

There is already genetic testing available for pregnant moms in some areas to "screen out" autism just like Down's syndrome and other disabilities. But don't ever expect testing to be available for adults or older kids because of the fear of the govt having to shell out money to rehab MANY, MANY people. Better to have more adults poor, homeless, or whatever as adults than ACTUALLY pay to enable those with disabilites to have a productive lifetime. Reducing the tax base and likely responsible for the loss of science and engineers who are American born as well. (Sorry for the sarcasm but that IS reality!)

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-09-2009 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: details about Dr. Asperger

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM

109 posts, read 319,374 times
BTW, Marie, you should know that AS is a lifelong condition. Your husband STILL has AS. NO ONE ever really grows out of the diagnosis but over time, training, coping and conditioning can make the symptoms better. Earlier the intervention, the better the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children