U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:56 AM

109 posts, read 290,851 times

Advertisements

Yes, many adults with Asperger's and Autism can be independent. If you do a search you will find out there are many famous, well educated and professional people who actually have or had the diagnosis of autism. Mental retardation or delays ARE not actually part of the diagnosis though it can co-exist with the diagnosis. Social skills classes are available in most areas outside of school as well so NEVER give up hope. Connect with other parents at State Autism Society and you will find listings for most counties with local groups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Hello! I just ran across this thread. Our boy we believe to have aspergers. We found out thru researching. I have seen so many different types of stuff with him over the years and it was hard to point a finger at any one thing. For instance, he is hunched over a little bit when he walks, turns real pale in the face on occassion, has problems socially, such as getting along with others. Has trouble picking up on normal math. But he is very smart and intuitive and remembers things very well! Well you get the idea. Hes a great kid though! Any who how do you reverse things as far as trying to get a real relationship with someone like that. We messed up with him in his earlier years, we just didn't understand him at the time and now he is 16 and it just saddens me not being able to do anything with him. He prefers to stay in his room playing his ps2 and watching tv. etc. any suggestions?
I just wanted to respond to you so that you knew you were NOT alone. I too, through my own research and always looking to see if I could find what was 'different' about my son (15 1/2) truly believe he has AS. He fits so much of the criteria and had I known about this 10 years ago maybe things would be different - but 10 yrs ago there was such limited information regarding this...so who really knows? We, as parents, do the very BEST we can with the knowledge and information that we have.

Our son lives for XBox. He is obsessed with swords and math as well. Highly intelligent, highly functional but a social failure in school and will do anything not to have to interact with people he doesn't know. My heart breaks knowing how hard life will be for him and I work daily to help him work at strategies to attempt to be a bit more social. His response to me yesterday was "Mom, why are you trying to CHANGE me?" To which I replied "I wouldn't change a thing about you - I just want to help you improve the perfect young man you already are."

None of us have all the answers - only the search.

Sunnee

Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 5,646,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueman_fan1 View Post
Hello! I just ran across this thread. Our boy we believe to have aspergers. We found out thru researching. I have seen so many different types of stuff with him over the years and it was hard to point a finger at any one thing. For instance, he is hunched over a little bit when he walks, turns real pale in the face on occassion, has problems socially, such as getting along with others. Has trouble picking up on normal math. But he is very smart and intuitive and remembers things very well! Well you get the idea. Hes a great kid though! Any who how do you reverse things as far as trying to get a real relationship with someone like that. We messed up with him in his earlier years, we just didn't understand him at the time and now he is 16 and it just saddens me not being able to do anything with him. He prefers to stay in his room playing his ps2 and watching tv. etc. any suggestions?

Asperger's is not something which can be diagnosed-- or treated-- by reading an article or surfing the web. PLEASE get help from a professional. A developmental psychiatrist or neurologist would have been ideal were he younger, but a psychiatrist specializing in child and adolescent behavior would be your best bet at this point.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM

109 posts, read 290,851 times
I second Aconite.

Definitely get professional help with the social skills. I am a psych student so my coursework is because I want to know how to best help my kids or extend the training beyond their current NO support services available in GA. Social skills groups are available in almost EVERY larger county in the country because it is something that really can't be taught effectively. Autism and Asperger's teens and adults can not tune into social clues like those considered "normal" and you can never expect your child to behave normally without preparing the other kids or your child well. Know that telling people that you

If there are NO social skills groups available in your area or if you cannot afford it, try this option: Social Skills Training Videos & Autism DVD::Aspergers::Autism Video

Diagnosis or not, most social skills programs test and take the child FIRST if the need is there. There can be up to a 2 year wait for a diagnosis in some area and with older kids, sometimes the diagnosis never comes. If social skills training is not done the right way, you will find major issues are created that will cripple your son in the social arena forever. Remember that COERCION will always have fallout.

If you need help with teens, look up someone named John LeSeiur, maker of Zac Browser and Teen Browser specially made for kids in the spectrum. You will find age appropriate help if you connect with him.

Good luck

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-20-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,793,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Asperger's is not something which can be diagnosed-- or treated-- by reading an article or surfing the web. PLEASE get help from a professional. A developmental psychiatrist or neurologist would have been ideal were he younger, but a psychiatrist specializing in child and adolescent behavior would be your best bet at this point.
I have to disagree and agree with you.
My son is 26 and has undiagnosed Asperger's. Yes, I diagnosed him myself after researching Asperger's and having him take the online tests.
For 26 years I've known there was something not quite right with him; he's flapped his arms in excitement since he was a tiny baby. I asked doctor after doctor if he could have Autism, but was always told NO because he spoke at 9 months and was speaking in sentences by a year and he's intelligent.
I had to remove him from school and homeschool from 6th grade on. The school system had no place to put an intelligent child with major behavioral problems. He never hurt anyone, he was just weird in his behaviors (and like someone posted already, honest to such a degree that it gets him in trouble still!). School was never a happy place for him to be.
I had no clue what could be causing the multiple problems he was living with... that is until one day one of his online friends told him to tell me to research Asperger's. I did so and sat at my computer and cried as I read about Asperger's for the first time. I remember sitting here thinking, "This is it! This is Matt." What got me was two simple little things that have bugged me forever: Matt wears only velcro shoes because he cannot figure out how to tie a bow, and he could NOT pedal a tricycle or big wheel, just couldn't do it. We recently got an excercize bike and he still can't do it.
So, yes, one can diagnose someone with Asperger's by researching it online. Most sites I've read say that one does NOT NEED a diagnosis to know they have it. However, you are correct in that only a medical professional can help. Now that we have some direction to go in, I am finally getting my son the help he needed, and still needs.
And finally, to Sunnee - I hear ya! If I only knew years ago (20 in my case) his life would be so different now.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 AM

6,682 posts, read 11,344,735 times
A school psychologist with some experience and training in these disorders can help make the diagnosis. All at no cost!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 3,937,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
A school psychologist with some experience and training in these disorders can help make the diagnosis. All at no cost!
True, and that was how my son was diagnosed...through the school psychologists who were specificially trained in autism. He qualified for help at school with his diagnosis.

In order to get him wraparound services and use the state sponsored autism insurance to pay for it, we needed a medical diagnosis from a medical doctor. We ended up going to Hershey Medical Center for it.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 22,614 times
Default The Difference Between Aspberger and Autism

Aspberger Syndrome is high functioning Autism. These individuals have behavioral problems, however, they usually have high I.Q.'s - are good at one particular thing: Math, Science, Music, etc., but have very poor social skills (which is a typical Autism trait). They can communicate more readily than those with Autism, and function a bit more easily in the world. To an untrained person, these individuals almost seem normal, except for some "excentric" traits, such as an interest in one particular thing. This interest can be obsessive.

The thing that makes this very confusing is, Autism is a spectrum disorder, meaning those that have it vary in the degree of the affliction. It is commonly referred to now as, ASD - Autism Spectrum Disorder. No two people with this are alike. To have this diagnosis, you must meet 12 criteria and it is generally diagnosed by a knowlegable psychiatrist or psychiatrist (sometimes a neurologist).

Old 01-22-2011, 03:15 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,281,736 times
Aspergers = Autism - Language delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children