U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 07:47 AM

449 posts, read 1,479,654 times

Advertisements

Is it possible that he's mimicking another employee who has a bad work ethic? I know my dd has often "copied" bad behaviors or only understood part of a behavior. She'll repeat a phrase etc from a movie without understanding that it isn't appropriate in real life situtations. (i.e. if he see's other people complaining about having to follow a boss's directions - he might be trying to be "cool" without realizing that the other person may gripe but they still do what they're told).

For my dd, having "friends" is really important to her - she will sometimes do things that she knows aren't the best choices to please people or to fit in - same as anyone else might.

Last edited by midwestmom; 10-08-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: added comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:30 AM

105 posts, read 308,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
A couch would be good.

but relax depending upon how old he is, he probably wont live beyond 60, rare for people with this handicap if I remember correctly.
Did you mean COACH?

And I fail to see any benefit, or humor, if that was the intent, from the second sentence followed by a frown.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:05 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,144,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afishwithabike View Post
Yes, there are people who do that. There are job coaches for folks with disabilities. The job coach works no cost to the employer. As the employee gains skills and confidence in the job, the job coach gradually spends less time at the worksite.

How did this young man find his job? Is it possible he already has a job coach?
I dont know how he found the job...he was a transfer from Florida, and had been working for the company for about 3 years by the time he transferred.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
I also don't believe that any answer to these two specific questions is truly going to assist the OP to "Get" this person better". I assumed that phrase meant "Understand",,,but perhaps it meant something else?

No one can truly help the OP as it relates to his co-worker unless it is someone directly involved and knowledgeable about the individual, the work environment, and the expectations.
Yes, it meant understand. Im trying to understand, because this person both annoys me and gives me the willies at the same time. No, thats not meant to be hateful, but its the truth. So Im trying to understand WHY alot better
He has attempted in the past to touch the backside of one of my female co-workers. He comes up behind people and tickles his fingers down their backs, even though his mother has been told about his behavior, and our managers have spoken to him, he still does it. He hugs people (mostly the females) repeatedly and against their will, and with the cashiers he likes (I am not one of them, because I will not tolerate being touched), he will.not.leave their registers for the majority of the day.

I was reluctant to start this thread, because many people get rather touchy about this kind of thing.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:26 AM

105 posts, read 308,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I dont know how he found the job...he was a transfer from Florida, and had been working for the company for about 3 years by the time he transferred.

Yes, it meant understand. Im trying to understand, because this person both annoys me and gives me the willies at the same time. No, thats not meant to be hateful, but its the truth. So Im trying to understand WHY alot better
He has attempted in the past to touch the backside of one of my female co-workers. He comes up behind people and tickles his fingers down their backs, even though his mother has been told about his behavior, and our managers have spoken to him, he still does it. He hugs people (mostly the females) repeatedly and against their will, and with the cashiers he likes (I am not one of them, because I will not tolerate being touched), he will.not.leave their registers for the majority of the day.

I was reluctant to start this thread, because many people get rather touchy about this kind of thing.
Please don't think your post was a problem...it's just that there wasn't enough information to really understand what you were asking.

I understand your feelings. I don't like being touched or hugged by 'strangers', either. I used to work with a 'normal' adult man who liked to touch people (rubbing or pats on the back, etc) and I couldn't stand it! And, it is irritating when people aren't held accountable for their actions.

My biggest concern is that you would feel that this is typical behavior for someone with Down's Syndrome. It is not.

I have a DS son. From the time my son entered school at 3, his teachers and our family worked with him to develop skills necessary to become part of the community. Touching others has been off limits since he was small.

He is now 24 years old, and his behavior, social skills and work ethic are more than acceptable and appropriate in any situation.

For those adults with special needs who's behavior is not appropriate in a community setting, there are sheltered workshops/environments. Your co-worker sounds like he may do better in a 'closed' environment. He must have a social worker or job coach who should be made aware of the issues. Unfortunately, that isn't your call.

What you should do is bring these inappropriate behaviors to management's attention, just as you would if this person was 'normal'. (Especially if it ever involves a customer).

Best of luck to you, and I hope someday you will experience a positive situation with a special needs person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children