U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM

268 posts, read 1,021,565 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for my son to have a happy productive life

He is not very verbal but pretty self sufficient..

SC doesn't have squat (except a thrifty governor that spends state monies on his 'needs'). Dept of disabilities even suffered a large budget cut...hmmm!??!?!?

If my son is going to be happy, I may have to move...

Any places KNOWN for good services for adults with autism?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,650,392 times
I live in New Jersey and it is my understanding that many people move here from out of state for services and placement in the early years.

It is worth checking what they offer for adults with autism. BE WARNED, the property taxes are outrageous. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,278,009 times
PA has an adult autism waiver, but from what I hear there is a waiting list, plus with the horrible budget problems, who knows what will happen. Here is a link to check it out. Adult Autism Waiver (http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ServicesPrograms/Autism/003677257.htm - broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 07:18 AM

622 posts, read 1,416,690 times
From what I hear in the north its better. We live in MN my parents and me.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:45 AM

114 posts, read 472,167 times
I grew up in Minnesota, but have been living overseas for many years. We'll be moving back to the U.S. in a few years with our 17-year old disabled son (severe mental retardation, autism, non-verbal, seizure disorder). I've been researching where the best location is, with family in mind (choice of states is - Minnesota or Wisconsin (along the Mississippi River, Utah, Vermont and Florida) . What I've learned (from contacting ARC offices around the U.S., contacting school districts and asking questions about transition from school to adult services, etc.) is that the northern U.S. tends to have better services. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa top the list for education and adult services for special needs tends to be decent. There are wait lists for medicare waivers, and the lists keep growing with budget cuts, but I have asked what would happen if we moved to Minnesota or Wisconsin with our adult son (assuming we stay overseas until he turns 21). I've been told by the county disability coordinators that within about 30-60 days after arriving, meeting with the county folks who would help to determine where the best placement for our son would be, he could attend a day program for 2, 3 or 4 days per week. To have our son placed in to a group home we're talking years, and he'd need a medicare waiver. The waivers don't travel with you, from state to state, so your child would have to go on a waiting list for a waiver, based on need. The highest need (death in a family, multiply handicapped, high needs) get bumped to the top of the list (it is not a number list, that you continue to rise with the months and years, it's a list based upon needs).

I'd look north for the best adult services and best of luck on finding something for your child.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 13,655 times
Are you still looking for a solution to your problem?

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM

109 posts, read 319,185 times
Consider CA, AZ and NM. Of all the states I have looked into, these states have a longer history of dealing with autism so will already have an idea of what adults require. Sorry they are not more affordable but I am looking ahead with my kids too because I have no family able to care for my kids when I am gone.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:54 AM

68 posts, read 471,089 times
i'm in sc too and looking to move.

I've been looking recently at Pittsburgh and possibly Wisconsin.

Have you moved? Have you found anything?

Old 04-03-2010, 06:45 PM

268 posts, read 1,021,565 times
I have found nothing..

I am so worried about my son's future

He will be 21 in a 1.5 years.... After school is over, then what?

He is pretty low functioning.. but he learns/understands/picks up things fast

I just want him to be happy

Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 AM

105 posts, read 307,292 times
Hello...we live in Wisconsin and our Down's syndrome son grew up here. Because he went to school here, they helped us with all the sources we needed for transitioning into the community. So, in our experience, Wisconsin schools and services are very helpful and complete.
I recently looked into moving to New Mexico or Colorado.
I didn't get much info on Colorado. (If anyone has suggestions on contacts, I'd appreciate them).

However, I did find my way through the maze of divisions in New Mexico, and discovered that although New Mexico has very progressive policies, the waiver waiting list is really, really long....like 7-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children