Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM

28 posts, read 114,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenom View Post
My son has high functioning autism. He also has sensory processing disorder and dyspraxia. He is not ADHD or ADD but he has trouble focusing and tends to have problems w/ transitioning. He is not violent, thank God, but boy, he used to tantrums almost 10 times a day for 20 minutes or more. I was about to lose my mind! But was determined not to medicate him (hes only 5). Of course, its your decision to make, but we did a lot of research and find that medication only helps the behavior while bringing on many unwanted side effects, especially in a child so young.

We went to a HOLISTIC developmental pediatrician, who has him on a special vitamin made for children w/ disorders on the autistic spectrum. She also had us cut out gluten and wheat. She also counseled us on how to keep him calm (no video games, no prolonged computer time, etc). I have to say that collectively it has worked! He is tantruming maybe 3 times a week, when it used to be ALL DAY LONG. I cant even begin to tell you how burnt out we were. I was so bad my dr suggested Valium! (I didnt take it).

Too often, ADHD is given as a diagnosis, when the real issue is sensory disorder that impacts the childs behaviors. Before you medicate, why not do some research about natural ways to treat ADHD. For example, in my own research I learned (and the doctor shared this with me as well), that many kids who are ADHD can be helped w/ higher doses of magnesium, which helps calm them - and other vitamins. I guess it can sound a little out there if you are not into natural health, and I was skeptical too, but it has been working for us!

Of course, I am not judging and I wish you the best and know that ultimately you have to do whats best for your family. Just thought I would offer another point of view. I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you for your message. We did a lot of researched as well talked to both the case manger since we had a meeting scheduled prior and to the doctor that diagnosis ADHD. He says it is up to us, and also restated that the day he saw him, he was within normal range of social play. But he is unsure after receiving teacher questionnaire and answers from us. School did state he will receive the same whether he is autistic or ADHD. His social skills are not normal. Anyway, his social skills improve from taking him to social skill groups.

We finally decided to not medicate him since he is only 5 years old. Of course there are some problems. I stopped him from playing video games but my wife feels bad that he let him play this weekend. Boy what a struggle.... By the way, is there children vitamins. I found regular adult but I couldn't find for children. I heard that B6 is good for him. I never knew about magnesium. Thanks I will give it a try. What special vitamins is your child on. Can you tell me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,448 times
I wish I could help you...all of you in this thread! My son just turned 9. At the age of 7 he was diagnosed with ADHD and PDD-NOS. I resisted giving him the meds until we tried everything else. His ADHD is the inattentive type. He is not hyperactive. His ADHD really affects his ability to focus only. He is also overwhelmed in large settings. Since starting the medication his ability to hear his teachers, to really hear and pay attention has improved 100%. Socially he is much happier too. My advice is to try everything holistic or non holistic. Try meds if you feel comfortable with it. Do what is right for you. Our situation was very, very unusual. Within one hour of starting his medication I got a call from school. His math teacher called to tell me that he anserwed al the questions first that day and was 100% accurate, and what had happened? Typically it takes a while to find the right med. If you do end up even just trying out the meds look out, you will be judged. People have no idea what you've been through or what your situation is, but they will speak out and accuse you of drugging your child to keep him calm (and as I said he was never hyperactive) or using the medication so that you don't have to deal with some other type of normal childhood behavoir. We saw a social worker for full year, went to some adhd groups, put in place many behavior modification techniques, and experiemented with some ADHD dietary changes. Finally we tried the medication. He takes one to two days per week off from the medication. The say that helps the meds to keep working well at the same doseage....prevents tolerance.
Good luck. The PDD-NOS is a tough diagnosis too. No one seems to know much.

Jo

Old 03-12-2012, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,559 times
I have a 14 year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, an ODD when he was 6 I was told that the best thing was to medicate him so he could control him self while in school an be able to sit in a chair for more than 5 minutes. I was a single mother at the time an 22 years old so I did what they said. They did tell me the same things about the side affects with the possible stomach pains and an loss of appetite but the only one he had was the loss was of appetite so they added one more med to the other 4 that he was on an it helped. Life has not been easy living with him I love him more then anything an I now know like in one of the others posts I read if you have douts an fears an questions step up an ask get second oppions if your insurance will allow it. Now that we have my sons full diagnoses I wish 10 years I would have been like you an asked an for help an questions instead I just said ok let's do what we have to do. You see 3 years years ago my sons Dr. moved an we were placed with another Dr. In the same office an this one disagred with the first doctors diagones my son was recently diagnosed with Aspefrgers Syndrome Disorder, ADHD, OCD, ODD, Generalized Anixty, an some Sensory problems as well. An if I had know all this back then I could have gotton him more help. I had my mother, my dad an step mom an brother keep saing the same thing to me he is spoild just put him in time out or bust his but one good time an he will quit . For one they dont live with your child on a day to day basis so they dont know first hand how crazy it can get some times with kids that have special needs they need your atration most of the time or someones attations always thats just how it is . An as for the Focilin XR it did not work for my son neither did Adderall, Risperdal, Strattera, the ones that we have found work best are concerta an a low dose of the fast acting ritalin for in the morning to help get him ready for school in the mornings. An as for the video game I believe that should be left up to you Mario brothers is not vilent compared to some of the things I have seen my son try to get past me it is a kids game their is no blood or anything like that in it they knock things of the blocks an out of their way .

Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
This thread is 3 years old. If someone has a new problem to ask about, it might be better to start a new thread.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,556 times
Hi there, I was interested in your post about magnesium to calm kids. I have a 10 year old daughter with PDD-NOS, ADHD, SPD, and Auditory Processing disorder. She's been on Strattera for about 5 months and has recently started having trouble with circulation, which appears to be caused by the drug. Strattera has been very helpful, but this side effect is not something I can accept. I've read elsewhere that magnesium is very good for kids with these sorts of issues. Can you tell me how much you give to your son? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:51 AM

665 posts, read 628,226 times
I have a family member that was diagnosed as having: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Bipolar, ADHD, OCD, PDD-NOS, Depression, Sensory Intergration Disorder, Anxiety... and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head! She has stated that she hears voices (although she has never been diagnosed with Schizophrenia). She also was tested (only once though when she was young) and found to have an IQ of 70. She is now 20 and has major issues with fitting in with society and daily life skills (simple math calculations, concept of how money works/budgeting, job skill attainment, etc.).

She was on ritalin when she was younger and she was slim. The ritalin caused her to become more violent. When she was given Depakote and Seroquel, all hell broke loose with her body! She gained hundreds of pounds... you read that right, HUNDREDS! She is around 360 lbs at 5'4. Needless to say, she will never be on those particular meds again. She hasn't been on those meds in years and she still can't lose the weight. Also, Depakote and Seroquel have been linked to serious health issues like diabetes. Some studies have suggested that Seroquel causes diabetes. Some of these meds these days are causing more health issues than what they are allegedly trying to alleviate. It is saddening.

She currently takes meds but they don't seem to be helping as much as the family would like. Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when deciding to use meds for your loved one. *hugs*

Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
I know that this is an old thread, but....

Some things to think about:
*If your child cannot focus in school, even in kindergarden, they will fall behind and not like school and may drop out when they can.
*If your child would benefit from medication, and they do not receive it, then when they are older, they may self medicate with alcohol or recreational drugs.
*If one medication does not work for your child, feel free to ask your doctor to find a better one. There are different medications for a reason.
*If your child were diabetic and needed insulin, would you withhold it because you didn't want to medicate your child? Well, ADHD is a diagnosed medical condition that may be helped with medication.

My son is ADHD and on the autism spectrum. We did not want to medicate, but we and my son are glad that we did. He tried two other medications before he & the doctor found the one that works for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children