U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 AM

6,028 posts, read 13,095,174 times

Advertisements

I don't know a worst state, but I know Oregon is a very GOOD place for families living with Autism. We're in Eugene and I'm amazed at the services offered and the very high quality of life people with special needs have here. I've lived in four different states and never seen anything like it. They seem to receive a much higher level of respect from the children and people in the community here as well. It's really great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:25 PM

11 posts, read 49,805 times
Massachusetts has an abundance of autism programming, specifically based in ABA. If your child's public school system does not have adequate services for your child, they must send them to a private special needs school (this may require an advocate, mediation, etc). I work in Central Mass and the Wachusett Regional School District has a very good program. It is ABA based. Most children in the program have opportunities for inclusion, even those that are non vocal/nonverbal. It is very common for severe special needs children to get a 1:1 paraprofessional throughout the entire day which allows for comprehensive behavior plans, data collection, and tutoring. Gates Lane School in Worcester, MA also has a contracted company running their ABA services, and they are really good too. But of course, don't expect perfection from any school district or program.

"NH has very good schools I have heard" ...I have heard the exact opposite. Maybe the Seacoast area might have some good resources.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 PM

907 posts, read 2,915,455 times
[quote=Joanna416;14386328 But of course, don't expect perfection from any school district or program.[/QUOTE]

Odd statement to make, honestly. I am in no way seeking perfection and I'll stick my neck out there to say that other parents are not either. We're seeking adequately trained staff to deliver services with respect and dignity.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:35 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,459,897 times
Montana is horrible, most as of a year ago had no clue what ASD was/is. Had to educate our son's HS sped dept on Aspergers.
We're now at the college level in AZ and while they have the best of intentions the state is broke. We were told flat out by vocational services that while he qualifies there will most likely be no $$$ for services for him for at least a year if not way longer.
You'd think that SSDI would want to get him educated and trained to deal with life/off to work so they could eventually stop paying him but I guess that makes too much sense.

Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

522 posts, read 565,690 times
I beg to differ on NH. It all depends where u live. My sons school does a good job. He also has an excellent pt and ot place he goes to which will help as in the summer he gets bored wth no structure.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,705,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Texas is NOT good. Most states in the south are pretty poor because they lack funding. We are having to fight for everything here in the Houston area, but luckily we are good at fighting. Things will vary within states as well as between states. Delaware is supposed to be excellent, NJ also, but it is getting worse as the financial crisis widens there. California was excellent for a while, but again money is becoming a problem with getting services there too. Do realize that NO place has decent services for autistic adults.
Florida sucks too it seems ntm the scene in FL does not seem too good with Aspergers type cases. Where I live or other places, its like I dont see too many mildly autistic adults. In Portland OR now you do, Boston area you for sure do. Some parts of the US clearly have a bigger scene for it than others.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:34 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,705,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I don't know a worst state, but I know Oregon is a very GOOD place for families living with Autism. We're in Eugene and I'm amazed at the services offered and the very high quality of life people with special needs have here. I've lived in four different states and never seen anything like it. They seem to receive a much higher level of respect from the children and people in the community here as well. It's really great.

Maybe thats why I feel I need to move there. More like minded people to myself in Portland area. I know that for a fact.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,663 times
Do NOT come to Florida if your child is autistic. I have documentations and proof that my child is autistic and they still have him in behavior issues class with 4th and 5th graders. He's now very withdrawn and has nightmares at night. I can NOT wait to move away from this school district already. They still give me a hard time about putting him in a class with other autistic children.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM

16,019 posts, read 17,806,901 times
Texas is difficult. It depends a lot on the particular school district and how good you are at fighting for services. My grandson has a decent team in place and insurance coverage was good up until this year. The law says they have to cover ABA from 2 to 6, but he turned 6, so the law is no longer in his favor. Our problem is that insurance coverage keeps messing with us. He still needs OT, PT and ST, but they deny unless you code it properly and they seem to keep changing the codes they want.

At the school, I sent a letter at the beginning of the year and quoted the law. We got pretty much everything we asked for. We have his first K conference in about 1/2 hour, so I will find out how things are going.

Dorothy

Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM

907 posts, read 2,915,455 times
Default follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Texas is difficult. It depends a lot on the particular school district and how good you are at fighting for services. My grandson has a decent team in place and insurance coverage was good up until this year. The law says they have to cover ABA from 2 to 6, but he turned 6, so the law is no longer in his favor. Our problem is that insurance coverage keeps messing with us. He still needs OT, PT and ST, but they deny unless you code it properly and they seem to keep changing the codes they want.

At the school, I sent a letter at the beginning of the year and quoted the law. We got pretty much everything we asked for. We have his first K conference in about 1/2 hour, so I will find out how things are going.

Dorothy
Keep us posted, as I'm always curious what happens to kids when they age out of the system at the ripe ole' age of 6. Let us know how the school meeting goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children