U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,830,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Well, if you "totally" disagree, then maybe we should switch places? My son would get lost and killed if he would use the bus, not to mention that the district told us he will be spending 3 1/2 hours in that bus! the school he is attending now is not our "neighborhood" school where we can walk too! Not that there is much "walking" to do in Florida!

These schools are NOT in walking distance of each other, more like 30 minutes DRIVING distance!

I am glad your "Florida" situation works for YOU, but please don't judge ME without knowing the situation or living in MY house!

We've lived in FL 9 years now and moved around 9 times trying to find a good medium ...and found nothing!
I am allowed to totally disagree.

The school has to send a bus to your doorstep if you have an IEP for him. My son could not get dropped off just anywhere, either. I really believe there's probably someone in the school system that can help you out. It's not easy to get everything going the way it needs to be, but it's worth it. I pick up one daughter and come straight home to meet my son's bus in the driveway. Another daughter is in middle school. I drive her sometimes and sometimes she takes the bus.

And, yes, you should head over to Pinellas county. It's pretty good here. Seriously. If things are that bad, you need to change them. But I have read about how unhappy you are in so many different areas that I'm not sure you'll find anything that changes that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 08:22 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,904,690 times
of course you can disagree...but comments such as "if I wanted to" are just flat out mean! my kids are much younger and I am not going to let them ride a bus alone and come home to no one! we already have to have a different pediatrician for our 3 kids, a different school and there's one of me....and no 50k for a clone!

I cant make it back to the door step in time to get him, on one hand, and on the other he will not sit in that bus for more than 20 seconds!
Not to mention his speech, occupational and behavioral therapies...we are driving all over this town all week!

we are done and over Florida and its educational antics!

Like I said, I am glad for you, we are done here.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,830,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
of course you can disagree...but comments such as "if I wanted to" are just flat out mean! my kids are much younger and I am not going to let them ride a bus alone and come home to no one! we already have to have a different pediatrician for our 3 kids, a different school and there's one of me....and no 50k for a clone!

I cant make it back to the door step in time to get him, on one hand, and on the other he will not sit in that bus for more than 20 seconds!

we are done and over Florida and its educational antics!

Like I said, I am glad for you, we are done here.
I apologize, and i mean that sincerely. I did not mean for it to sound that way. I was trying to say that it would take a lot of effort to get it worked out but you could do it.

The school can't send your son home where there will be no one. They have to work with you. They have to help you come up with a solution. Maybe he can be bussed to your daughter's school? It doesn't make sense that he would have to ride a bus for 3.5 hours. That brings him home after 6:00 at night. Are you sure you are talking to the right person and getting the right information?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,904,690 times
OK, I am sorry! I am maxed out at the moment.

We went through loops and bounds and thats the time...nothing can be done, we used the Choice program and got out daughter to attend kindergarten at the same school as he is now, THE PROBLEM starts next school year because if he is NOT ready to be included into regular kindrgarten, our options are what I wrote in my original above post...THEN is when we'll need to figure out where he will go...as I told you, the options given to us here and which I personally visited were terrible. IF he is ready for regular kindergarten by next summer then we'll be OK. We will still move out of Florida, but we will be OK.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 22,953 times
I live in SW Florida, and this place is a total nightmare for kids with Autism. We've had to fight for everything and even so, the Florida Dept. of Education puts parents that advocate for their kids, on a sort of "black list". They don't want to spend money on anything Autism related down here, nor do they have qualified individuals working with these kids. They also ignore their IEP's and make "cookie cutter" kids out of all of them....it's easier for the school district and the teachers that way. Every professional that we've met here, is on the "I want to make money out of your situation bandwagon" and that's disgusting. We've even been told that our child isn't Autistic, but rather, is mentally retarded and we "should accept" her fate. Our school district is now planning to get rid of all of their Autism Behavioralists and replace them with aides that work in the classroom. They are claiming that money has run out of their budget (that was given to them by IDEA). Where did the money go??? I know that they are receiving at least $20,000 per year from my child alone. I can just imagine where all this money is going. If this gives you some sort of idea about Florida schools, RUN DON'T WALK as fast as you can away from this place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could leave soon, but it seems there there is really no place to go???

Old 12-23-2010, 04:09 AM

6 posts, read 15,422 times
I concur with jakersmama. I live in Sallisaw, OK and while I respect the public school staff, as they are caring, the services are lacking. It's December and I was promised my son's 1-1 aide in Sept. They said it'd take a month. they're late and I know he's not going to get it... even though he has the script on file that they said he needed.

There's lots more why this is a bad state for kids/adults with autism... that's just the most recent issue.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 16,359 times
I hear some people complaining of VA and lack of autism support there. But when I do some searching, I find that Charlottesville is a good place for autism needs as UVA has programs specializing in autism, as well as, a school for 2 year olds +. Anyone please chime in here if you're from Albemarle Co/Charlottesville with a child on the spectrum.......not North VA please. Also, it seems VA people with autism are having problems with Blue cross/anthem covering ABA or OT?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:00 PM

3,491 posts, read 4,782,572 times
the Texas schools treated me well and I'm an Aspie

Old 12-29-2010, 03:22 PM

14,755 posts, read 15,022,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
the Texas schools treated me well and I'm an Aspie
Since you don't allow private messages, can you tell me where in Texas? My grandchildren are in Texas and I would love to know what school you went to that treated you well.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times
Colorado is also on the worst list. I live here and the waiting list for the medicaid waiver program is three years. They also really put up a fight, even though I can prove my children are extremely developmentally delayed and autistic. The school system will fight to the death to avoid providing necessary services, even though federal law mandates it. Stay away from this awful state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children