Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times

Advertisements

Midland, Texas Robert E.Lee Senior High School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Midland, Texas Robert E.Lee Senior High School
Glad it worked well for you. I'm in the Houston area and some schools are good, others not so much.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
New York is pretty good, and Long Island can be very good! I have an autistic grandson and my daughter has been able to get all kinds of services for him--it's been a lot of work for her to get there though. It's almost as though they hide the information and unless you dig and dig, you'll never know... Maybe it's about the money?
Anyway, once the child turns 3, the school district is responsible for the costs. At this point, when my daughter shows up at her SD they say (half) jokingly "ok, what are we paying for now?", because they know she'd never ask for anything my grandson isn't entitled to by law.
Not all SDs have either good programs or are readily willing to part with the $$, so it's a matter of doing homework beforehand. Because of my personal experience, I've been able to help point others in the right direction or away from the wrong direction

Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Glad it worked well for you. I'm in the Houston area and some schools are good, others not so much.
Thank you.I really appreciate that.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,497 times
I am currently living in NY....they have recently done away with the local diploma and will only offer a regents diploma by the time my son is ready to graduate (he is in 3rd grade...has high functioning autism)....I have a problem with this because he deserves the opportunity to graduate with a LOCAL DIPLOMA after going through 12 years of school, even if he can't pass the regents. As a result, we are looking to reclocate...I won't put him through all of those years of tests, homework and studying to be told that he doesn't get to graduate just because he can't pass a test. My husband got an offer to be relocated to Georgia...I don't know much about support services for Austim in that state...anyone have any info?????

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 6,497 times
I am currently living in NY....they have recently done away with the local diploma and will only offer a regents diploma by the time my son is ready to graduate (he is in 3rd grade...has high functioning autism)....I have a problem with this because he deserves the opportunity to graduate with a LOCAL DIPLOMA after going through 12 years of school, even if he can't pass the regents. As a result, we are looking to reclocate...I won't put him through all of those years of tests, homework and studying to be told that he doesn't get to graduate just because he can't pass a test. My husband got an offer to be relocated to Georgia...I don't know much about support services for Austim in that state...anyone have any info?????

Old 01-03-2011, 08:35 AM

177 posts, read 313,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonna View Post
I would be really hesitant to move down south. You won't be afforded nearly as many services. You're better off looking at places like Wisconsin and Minnesota if you have to get away from NY.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:55 PM

99 posts, read 203,840 times
I'm not sure there's any such thing as a "good state" for autism services. I suspect that the quality/availability issue is much more local than state-wide. In some of the "best" states I suspect there are areas where services are hard to find. And in some of the "worst" states I'm sure there are pockets where wonderful services can be had.

One of the biggest problems for parents of a child with autism is the fact that there is such a dramatic shortage of BCBAs, nationwide. Very few colleges even have Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) programs. Hopefully this will change. But I'd suggest that the closer you are to an area has college-level ABA programs to teach students to become BCBAs and BCaBAs, the easier it's going to be to find good quality services. Those college students in ABA programs need hundreds of ours of training with children on the spectrum to complete their coursework, and they need places to work once they're done.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
For all that have kids at or near college age we've found that ASU has a heck of a program to help them succeed! Our son is doing fairly well with the help of the SPED dept at the college. He's in his own dorm room, carrying a full load and holding a solid C average.
They really seem to care if he makes it, they see him a couple of times a week and are always available if problems arise.
Very pleased so far!!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:41 AM

165 posts, read 516,188 times
We live in Hillsborough county FL and have had a good experience. The first school my son (who is diagnosed as an Aspie, but seems to be more high functioning spectrum IMO) went to put him half a day in a self-contained and tried to integrate him with an aid for the other half. He did not do so well academically and so-so at best socially...he still did a lot of self-talk/play and it wasn't going so well. The aid recogrnized that, told me she didn't think they were the best school for him and we re-did his IEP and placed him in a school with a classroom/teacher for autistic kids. This year, in that school, the teacher is so fantastic that my son's academics have grown in leaps and bounds. He can do his 3rd grade math on his own, his reading has shot up and his writing skills have improved a bit. It has really made a huge difference in some major areas. I guess it really depends upon a variety of factors.

I suppose there are some states that are very poor in this area, but on average I would suppose it is a matter of where you are in a state and how much each side is willing or able to put into the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children