Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,033 times

Advertisements

Hi. I saw your post about Austin. Does Texas or Austin provide any extra intervention outside of school NOT based on income? For instance, a few states have special "medicaid" type cards for your special needs child but it is for anyone with special needs, not just families that would qualify due to low income. We are considering moving to get extra intervention for our son--we currently live in California and we are falling through the cracks. So we are considering Idaho, believe it or not, AMAZING place for special needs--not through the schools, per se, but through companies that provide aba, dt, ibi, and all that stuff--and you pick your person.
I also read that PA has amazing resources and a card like idaho for the very thing. so how 'bout austin? Is it just the schools or is there an outside source through a waiver program through medicaid no matter the income? thanks for your help--or anyone out there.
Kelley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:10 PM

23 posts, read 113,995 times
We have experienced three different states - CA, VA, and TX. We also lived in WA (Seattle) but my son hadn't been in the public school system yet, however my friends in that area haven't complained about the services available.

TX - Insurance is required to pay for some therapies at certain ages. We had very good services from the Round Rock schools (Austin area, I have heard that the Austin schools aren't so great)

VA - We live in the Hampton Roads area and the services are terrible, and insurance is not mandated to cover any therapies. Advocates are trying to have legislation changed to require insurance companies to cover some therapies, but it hasn't passed as yet. I believe some people can get a medicaid waiver for services, but I think it's based on family income????

CA - We lived in San Diego, in the Poway School disctrict which has a good reputation. However, we had our son tested and they refused to acknowledge his diagnosis and did not offer any services. It may be because of their budget issues, but he definately is on the spectrum and they completely denied him of any accommodations.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:09 AM

52 posts, read 126,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pttheot View Post
Maine has the worst schools for children with Autism. The teacher pay is very low as well as the training. They basically babysit your child and not even try to teach them as they have already given up. There are a handful of very good schools, but only a handful. It is getting worse and we are moving.

I lived in NC for a few years as well, and I do not approve of their "TEACCH" Method. All of the children are placed in "autistic classrooms" that is unless they are high functioning. Not enough interaction with typical peers.

NH has very good schools I have heard.

Maine schools are very good for children with Autism. I am sure it does vary some by region, but up near the Bangor area I have seen so much concern, strength, and resilience in the teachers trying to help our Autistic son.
South Carolina was the worst I had seen. They seemed to enjoy doing multiple restraints in one day just because he didn't pick up his pencil when they told him. (The schools words not mine). Our son ended up in the hospital down there from one of their "restraints". If a restraint is done properly, there should be no open wounds or bleeding. Our son was covered and had no skin on the tops of his feet from being dragged over the concrete walkway.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:24 PM

43 posts, read 132,342 times
Arkansas is a terrible state for children with autism, specifically moderate/severe autism. The state lacks the resources and professionals to adequately help these kids. My son is moderate/severely autistic, non-verbal and was prescribed 30 hours of 1:1 ABA a week. After spending 2 years in a state funded special needs school, 2 incidents of child abuse and evaluation after evaluation showing no progress, we heard through the grapevine about a private special needs school here in Fayetteville. If it weren't for the fact that the head ABA is from New York, we wouldn't have an ABA therapist at all in Northwest Arkansas. We currently have 3 and they are all at the private school my son attends. We self fund his tuition, which is incredibly expensive.

Because of IDEA, the public school system would be required to fund his services, but we would have to sue the district to get that accomplished and in the interim, continue shelling out the tuition for the 2 years it will likely take to get the lawsuit completely before the district is required to pay for it for the duration of his schooling. There are zero services in the public school system for autistic children. It is a complete joke. When I looked at the school budgets at the three largest schools in our area and saw that the special needs budget when to the gifted and talented program, I nearly lost my lunch! It is a disgrace!

My son will be 5 in March and he will not be entering the public school system here. We have decided that moving out of state for better services is in his best interest!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In NY, services seem to be good. We have the Jowonio School here in Syracuse and some districts like Jamesville-DeWitt, Liverpool, East Syracuse-Minoa and Onondaga Central.

Jowonio School

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-03-2011 at 04:05 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 AM

44 posts, read 121,834 times
TN, specifically Shelby County Schools, is absolutely terrible for autism services. They use the "wait to fail" approach and then implement band-aid temporary placement. Then back to mainstream with little student social support and we continue the cycle. Alternative resources are not presented to parents which I suppose is not unusual but none the less cruel to the struggling child. We had to dig and dig to find they do offer parent and teacher workshops to assist with special needs students. Ugh, I'm done with the Memphis area only because of the schools.

SEDOL (Special Education District of Lake County) in IL had a great program for my son. We were sorry to have to move away from there.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,906 times
Here in San Antonio, Texas, the school districts determine independently how and where services are provided to autistic children specifically and special needs children in general. In my school district, when my son was 4, was shipped off for PPCD at another school, and the best they could muster was reverse integration (and I live in a "good" school district). Then, last year, they finally integrated one of the kindergarten classes (how long has it been since IDEA?). This year, they fully integrated the children, and initially my son, who had formally been at the top of the class was now closer to the bottom. I believe in full integration, but I also believe in having the teachers go through some form of training, or else what is the point? He was miserable, initially, and asked why he had to go to school everyday. He finally recognized that he was different from typically-functioning kids, and it was heart-breaking. He's still miserable, but he doesn't ask "why" every day, anymore. When I bring about the idea of jumping ship and leaving the school district (which is what most people with special-needs kids have done -- much to the happiness of the school district). I think that's how they managed to avoid actually getting their own staff for special-needs for so long. And now, with the teacher-cuts, I don't know what's going to happen.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 27,634 times
Question Does North Carolina Have Supports for those with Disabilities?

We are considering relocating to North Carolina, but are worried about the situation up there for those with Autism as well as other disabilities. Does anyone know where in N.C. our daughter (she is now almost 20 yrs. old) would receive good supports for both work and home? We are considering the Raleigh/Durham area, as Duke University is located near by. Our daughter has an unusual situation in that, she has Autism, a neurological disorder (which causes motor control issues), and has had a kidney transplant - so she is immune suppressed. This is really a very TOUGH situation for our family. My daughter IS capable of working, but in what capacity, we don't know. Her school here in Florida, has only just begun to explore vocations with her. She will be graduating in two years, and it's really sad that she has not had the opportunity for any vocational training, in the past five years. Any information that can be provided to our family, would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other families in a similar situation as ours, it would be great to hear from them as well.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ52 View Post
We are considering relocating to North Carolina, but are worried about the situation up there for those with Autism as well as other disabilities. Does anyone know where in N.C. our daughter (she is now almost 20 yrs. old) would receive good supports for both work and home? We are considering the Raleigh/Durham area, as Duke University is located near by. Our daughter has an unusual situation in that, she has Autism, a neurological disorder (which causes motor control issues), and has had a kidney transplant - so she is immune suppressed. This is really a very TOUGH situation for our family. My daughter IS capable of working, but in what capacity, we don't know. Her school here in Florida, has only just begun to explore vocations with her. She will be graduating in two years, and it's really sad that she has not had the opportunity for any vocational training, in the past five years. Any information that can be provided to our family, would be greatly appreciated. If there are any other families in a similar situation as ours, it would be great to hear from them as well.
I have not been in that situation yet. From everything I hear almost nothing is available for adults with autism anywhere, but Autism Speaks has a list of places in NC that you might call and talk to.

Autism Speaks, Community, Family Services, North Carolina: Adult - Ages 22 and Older

Quote:
Adult - Ages 22 and Older

Adult services vary by state. Once an individual is no longer eligible for service through their local school district a program must be put together through a variety of community organizations. This can be a difficult process and needs a good deal of coordination.
The state headquarters of the Autism Society is in Raleigh

Autism Society of North Carolina
State Headquarters
505 Oberlin Rd
Suite 230
Raleigh, NC 27605-1345
919 743 0204
800 442 2762
Fax: 919 743 0208
Autism Society of North Carolina

Old 02-21-2011, 09:45 PM

500 posts, read 747,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzen View Post
Maine schools are very good for children with Autism. I am sure it does vary some by region, but up near the Bangor area I have seen so much concern, strength, and resilience in the teachers trying to help our Autistic son.
South Carolina was the worst I had seen. They seemed to enjoy doing multiple restraints in one day just because he didn't pick up his pencil when they told him. (The schools words not mine). Our son ended up in the hospital down there from one of their "restraints". If a restraint is done properly, there should be no open wounds or bleeding. Our son was covered and had no skin on the tops of his feet from being dragged over the concrete walkway.
That is an outrage! These people had no business teaching a special needs child. They should have been brought up on charges!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children