U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:44 PM

880 posts, read 2,653,538 times

Advertisements

Based on the thread below, wondering, which states have you found to offer the least amount of services; or lack of quality in services as in research based training with oversight into training program, etc?

It seemed as if Jersey, N.C., parts of NY and PA offered some of the best services. Now, which states offer the worst services?

I'll offer up Virginia as one of the worst, and to back that up: washingtonpost.com > Metro > Virginia

Autism Help Lacking, Study Says
Tuesday, June 9, 2009

HEALTH CARE: Autism Help Lacking, Study Says

Public services for Virginians with autism suffer from poor organization and limited resources and fail to offer help early enough. Many school systems also are unable to meet the needs of their autistic students, according to a report released yesterday by the General Assembly's lead audit review agency.
This Story

THE ISSUES Autism Treatment: On Requiring Coverage, A Mix of Support and Silence

The study is by the Joint Legislative Review Commission

So, tell us where not to move and which cities are the worst!!

Last edited by Skatergirl; 10-18-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add clip of report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:24 PM

388 posts, read 725,264 times
I thought Virginia was one of the better, but your probably right, they didn't do much to help us out with our son! Right now were in Mississippi, now you want to talk about bad, they aren't even really trying to teach him anything from what I've seen so far. Instead of helping him on his strong points they just pretty much ..what ever!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM

63 posts, read 209,089 times
From my research the best states are NJ, CA, MN, WI, NY. The worst are NC, TN , Kentucky from what I have heard the lower you go on the east coast the worse they are. I have lived in CA which was good NC where I took my kids out of school and now WA and I am pleased here but I know it is not the best state.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:50 PM

2 posts, read 18,008 times
Where did you get your info on NC? Looking especially at the eastern coast. Would like to see the documentation.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 PM

486 posts, read 541,898 times
Nevada. Run, don't walk, from this state.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:43 PM

63 posts, read 209,089 times
I lived in NC and had to pull my children out of Mecklenberg County Schools. That is around Charlotte. They had a policy of putting autistic children in autism only classes. They do have some decent programs if you live right by UNC Chapel hill. Wake county is also decent but from speaking with the autism advocacy groups in the area their are very few areas that are up to speed and good for autism their. I beleive their early intervention is supposed to be ok but it does not transfer into the programs once they get school aged.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:33 PM

26 posts, read 87,643 times
Run far, far away from Oklahoma. Services are almost non-existent outside of the public schools.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:44 AM

742 posts, read 1,913,403 times
It seems to me this can vary from school to school,county to county, let alone state to state.
I happen to be in a county in the Atlanta metro area that I feel is one of the better ones . We are pleased with the program my son is in. His teachers are awsome and work so hard with these kids.
The counties around us do not have as good a reputation and many parents of children in the spectrum are moving here because of this.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM

109 posts, read 298,215 times
I live in Georgia. Autism services can be good if you are very close to Altanta, have very good insurance or can pay well for services with cash. DO NOT get tempted to move to a rural location like I did. They are affordable places to live but ZERO services exist for autism or disabilities. The presence of parent support groups has very little outcome in quality of care.

Georgia also does not have good scores for autism care over a lifetime so keep that in mind. Autism and Asperger's have been around for a very long time but many of the services that generate very good outcomes for special needs kids are not available here. Behavior therapy or Classroom modified ABA are not very widespread and not taught at any in-state psychology schools at all. I am one course short of ABA certification and have to go back to TX to finish it.

Texas was fine for autism care (outside of the school district fight) and Washington was excellent. Tacoma school district took good care of my kids. Just stay in a major city or check reports of available school funding. Follow the money and you will find better special education programs. Check with autism society in each state too as well as parent to parent groups. They will be more likely to tell you.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 14,104 times
Default Maine and NC

Maine has the worst schools for children with Autism. The teacher pay is very low as well as the training. They basically babysit your child and not even try to teach them as they have already given up. There are a handful of very good schools, but only a handful. It is getting worse and we are moving.

I lived in NC for a few years as well, and I do not approve of their "TEACCH" Method. All of the children are placed in "autistic classrooms" that is unless they are high functioning. Not enough interaction with typical peers.

NH has very good schools I have heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children