Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM

177 posts, read 471,096 times

Advertisements

if anyone could help. im looking to impose boundaries and still follow thru with behavior skills strictly. ive heard of methods of rewarding:

for a child with an obsession on tv
cleaning room, taking out trash, and dishwasher emptying = 30 min of tv

or child with comicbook obsession
homework, help cooking dinner = 15 min of comic book reading

as far as special ed professionals ive met, they all agree on these methods being the best but im looking for a book with more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:26 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
My Aspie is 27 years old. We just got his diagnosis this year, but have always known something was not quite right.
One thing I really want to share is something my son and I have been discussing in length just recently. Aspie's do NOT try to get in trouble, it is NOT something they do to be spiteful or mean, or to retaliate for anything. Often they have NO CLUE as to even why they are in trouble. Matt reminded me of the many times he got in trouble (both at school and at home) when he would ask, "What did I do?", and someone always told him, "You know what you did." However, he did NOT KNOW what he'd done wrong and therefore the problem was never corrected and the same behavior was repeated.
So, if your child asks, "What did I do?" try to explain to them what the problem is and how to avoid it in the future. They really don't know and a simple answer can go a long way.
I wish I had known all this 20 years ago.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
You may want to read Temple Grandin's book: The Way I See It

This is a collection of articles that talks about what she thinks parents need to do for autistic children.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I am a 27 yr old Aspie. Probably the hardest thing for me as a child was anytime my routine was unexpectedly upset - such as a relative coming over and talking loudly past the time I usually went to bed, not being able to eat what I had planned, etc. I think it's important to strike a balance btw being compassionate and understanding when you're AS child's routine is upset while at the same time trying to teach them that the world doesn't revolve around them.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Get Tony Attwood's book, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome

Tony Attwood - Author of The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome - Welcome

Amazon.com: The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome (9781843104957): Tony Attwood: Books

Dorothy

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am a 27 yr old Aspie. Probably the hardest thing for me as a child was anytime my routine was unexpectedly upset - such as a relative coming over and talking loudly past the time I usually went to bed, not being able to eat what I had planned, etc. I think it's important to strike a balance btw being compassionate and understanding when you're AS child's routine is upset while at the same time trying to teach them that the world doesn't revolve around them.
Very good advice.

Do you still have routines?
I ask because my 27 year old does. Some things he just has to do in certain ways. Now that I am learning more about Asperger's, I am learning this is all normal behavior for him.
Your last sentence is really important for any parent to know; I wish I had known about the Asperger's when he was a child. Maybe then I would have understood why he always felt this way and why I always had to correct him and tell him that the world did not revolve around him. It took forever for this one to sink in his head, but he finally got it after years of struggle. I admit to my anger because I thought he was just being a smart arse.
We are learning about Asperger's together and everything we learn brings on an "ah ha" moment about his childhood.
It's quite a journey.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:57 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
^ One more point I might add is that it isn't necessarily out of pure selfishness that autistic people get upset about routines being upset, rather we feel that we aren't being show the same respect we show others. The problem is often we are so different that our expectations are unrealistic in the real world. An example is (as young children) having other children come over and play with our toys. An autistic child who doesn't socialize much doesn't go to another child's house and interfere with their routine, therefore we don't understand why it's fair for them to come over and do that to us. Obviously that may seem logical except that socialization and sharing are regular things most children have to do to function well in society!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children