Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 06:51 PM

207 posts, read 505,965 times

Advertisements

My husband, child and I are planning to move back to my husband's home state (Spokane). I was raised in Sunnyvale, California and am concern about the weather in Spokane. I'm hoping I can get some answers from people living there with years of experience and also from any Calif. transplants that can give me insight on what the weather is like from their viewpoint. I did some research and there are a number of sites boasting Spokane has 260 days of sunshine. Other sites say 100 days of sunshine. Which is true? My other question is on days when it's not sunny, what is it like? I'm very worried about long dark cloudy days that never end Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,157,222 times
The truth on sunny days is probably somewhere between the two numbers cited, but I'd say it's probably closer to the 260 than 100. Search for what the national weather service data actually shows for sunny days for hard data instead of people's memories or chamber sites!

One thing that makes a big difference in the Spokane area is elevation. Spokane city itself gets socked in some in the winter due to inversions...but, nearly all of the higher surrounding country stays sunny. For example, when we lived out in the West Plains area, we'd have blindingly bright winter days--snow covered ground, blue sky, etc. We'd go into Spokane, and as you travel down Sunset Hill, it'd get darker and darker and Spokane itself would be foggy. You could get the same deal north of Spokane as well.

As far as long dark cloudy days, you won't have many of them...you'll get short dark cloudy days! Big difference in length of daylight between winter and summer days.

Days not sunny can be anything from thin high clouds, low heavy clouds, fog, rain, blizzard, sleet---you'll get the whole gamut. But, Spokane is not the westside of the state where the reputation for drizzle-that-never-ends is well-earned.

Good luck there!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM

207 posts, read 505,965 times
Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful

Old 06-27-2010, 08:53 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,138,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Thank you for your reply! It's very helpful
I used to live in Southern California and Oregon and I love Spokane. It is not as sunny as Cali but not as dreary as Portland. Spokane is really a nice place to live and I am hoping and praying to get back there. It is also beautiful...

Good luck to you!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 PM

221 posts, read 1,192,023 times
Wow, I could've written whar Raelyn28 wrote. So I'll just second it! :-)

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

221 posts, read 1,192,023 times
Oh, and I very much appreciate skinem's comments on the difference in gloom vs. sunshine depending on the elevation. It's really good info for when WE move back to Spokane. Thank you!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 6,065 times
We've lived in Spokane for 11 years. Moved here from Florida. There are four true seasons here. There is a lot more sunshine here than over on the coast. (We lived on Whidbey Island for several years). The summers are warm to hot and the days are very long. The winters days are short and often cloudy. But we found that we adjusted well after the first winter. Spring is glorious. There can be a lot of snow, up to several feet, but the city always keeps the arterials de-iced and plowed so getting around isn't hard. The people here are so nice and friendly and there's a lot to do all year round.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:41 PM

229 posts, read 689,308 times
I would guess somewhere around 200... simply because one half of the year is sunny most days, and the other half is cloudy with some sun (but not so much rainy or snowy). Not that it doesn't snow, just most days have little precip...

Old 10-19-2010, 03:53 AM

7 posts, read 23,443 times
I don't know if you relocated or not ...yet. But to answer you, if you are from sunnyvale, my guess is after a few years of harsh winters you will want to go back to calif.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area