Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:21 PM

470 posts, read 1,036,768 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone bring up min. wage. Yes Washington state has a high min. age but it's far less than national average salaries for professional positions. I always laugh when they list Seattle as a great place for the under 30 crowd. It cost way too much to live there and the salaries aren't much better there than they are here in Spokane.

Have you given much thought about returning to your home where your family is? You have never mentioned much about having family here. Just friends, church, and scenery. I know we all hate returning to our hometown, but why not return there and stay with family.........and then make your way here if that's what you really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:25 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
My home town is Omaha Nebraska and haven't lived there since 1979 and I only know three people there. My parents and sister have died withing the past few years. There is nothing there but bad memories. In fact, I hear nothing from my family and nobody from there is helping me so forget it.

I really appreciate all the different comments on this and it truly helps me to think on what is best. I am not offended by any of the posts here and truly am thankful that my questions are being answered. I would need help from the state as a single mom and probably wouldn't get a very good place to live on just child-support although I would like to go back to school for nursing and I believe Spokane has an excellent nursing program. My boys did really good there...there is so much more trouble to get into here and they have. I have a loving church there and many friends. It is so hard to make friends here for some reason.

Thanks anyway, I will keep all these things in mind.

Sincerely,
Raelyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
Why does everyone bring up min. wage. Yes Washington state has a high min. age but it's far less than national average salaries for professional positions. I always laugh when they list Seattle as a great place for the under 30 crowd. It cost way too much to live there and the salaries aren't much better there than they are here in Spokane.

Have you given much thought about returning to your home where your family is? You have never mentioned much about having family here. Just friends, church, and scenery. I know we all hate returning to our hometown, but why not return there and stay with family.........and then make your way here if that's what you really want.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
My home town is Omaha Nebraska and haven't lived there since 1979 and I only know three people there. My parents and sister have died withing the past few years. There is nothing there but bad memories. In fact, I hear nothing from my family and nobody from there is helping me so forget it.

I really appreciate all the different comments on this and it truly helps me to think on what is best. I am not offended by any of the posts here and truly am thankful that my questions are being answered. I would need help from the state as a single mom and probably wouldn't get a very good place to live on just child-support although I would like to go back to school for nursing and I believe Spokane has an excellent nursing program. My boys did really good there...there is so much more trouble to get into here and they have. I have a loving church there and many friends. It is so hard to make friends here for some reason.

Sincerely,
Raelyn
WSU still has an excellent nursing program, but SCC's nursing program lost their accreditation. You can still graduate from their as a two year RN but their grads can only work in Washington state and not at VA hospital.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

You seem really negative about Spokane. I have friends from the area that are telling me that there are plenty of jobs in the nursing field and good schools to attend as well. Don't know why you don't have anything good to say about it. Could I ask where you work and where you are from originally. You don't seem happy with Washington. Everyone has different tastes and perhaps you are not cut out for the PNW. It definately is not for everyone but my family loved it there. Certainly much better than Oklahoma, Nebraska or any of these midwest states...

Quote:
WSU still has an excellent nursing program, but SCC's nursing program lost their accreditation. You can still graduate from their as a two year RN but their grads can only work in Washington state and not at VA hospital.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,166 times
Quote:

Sincerely,
Raelyn

Good for you. Follow your heart. I would encourage you to seek a BSN rather than an associate Rn which would give you more career flexibility. Spokane has two excellent schools - Intercollegiate and Gonzaga. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Not sure about getting back to Spokane but have a question? I don't need an RN degree? What does a BSN get me that is different. Please explain and how long does it take to get that degree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Good for you. Follow your heart. I would encourage you to seek a BSN rather than an associate Rn which would give you more career flexibility. Spokane has two excellent schools - Intercollegiate and Gonzaga. Good luck.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Not sure about getting back to Spokane but have a question? I don't need an RN degree? What does a BSN get me that is different. Please explain and how long does it take to get that degree?
BSN is your Bachelor's, you still get your RN. A lot of people here refer to the two year program as "RN." I would say get your two year RN and start making some money. Find a job that will pay for you to get your BSN afterwards. If you are truely passionate about being a nurse and enjoy doing it you will do very well at it and advance. Otherwise you will be like the vast majority of the overpaid "Med Tech's" you see here in Spokane that make $27/hr to pass pills and are poor at patient care and assessment. A lot of the DONs are two year nurses with two years or less experience here just because they are slightly better than the old bitter nurses that have been passing pills for 15 years.

That's my two cents, but my two cents is also to get your nursing degree where your at. $30/hr is better than $24/hr to start in Washington state. They even start at $24/hr in Seattle. Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM

Thankyou,

I am probably not going to get back to Spokane but your info was very informative to me. One thing I have to leave you with. Not sure what your situation is in Spokane or why you are there but please enjoy the beauty and the people. There are very few beautiful states that can compete with the beauty of Oregon and Washington. The weather in Spokane is decent. It is sooooo hot here. I miss the mild weather, the mountains and those beautiful pine trees. Enjoy it while you are there as I did... God bless and peace...

Raelyn

Quote:
BSN is your Bachelor's, you still get your RN. A lot of people here refer to the two year program as "RN." I would say get your two year RN and start making some money. Find a job that will pay for you to get your BSN afterwards. If you are truely passionate about being a nurse and enjoy doing it you will do very well at it and advance. Otherwise you will be like the vast majority of the overpaid "Med Tech's" you see here in Spokane that make $27/hr to pass pills and are poor at patient care and assessment. A lot of the DONs are two year nurses with two years or less experience here just because they are slightly better than the old bitter nurses that have been passing pills for 15 years.

That's my two cents, but my two cents is also to get your nursing degree where your at. $30/hr is better than $24/hr to start in Washington state. They even start at $24/hr in Seattle. Good luck to you.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Thankyou,

I am probably not going to get back to Spokane but your info was very informative to me. One thing I have to leave you with. Not sure what your situation is in Spokane or why you are there but please enjoy the beauty and the people. There are very few beautiful states that can compete with the beauty of Oregon and Washington. The weather in Spokane is decent. It is sooooo hot here. I miss the mild weather, the mountains and those beautiful pine trees. Enjoy it while you are there as I did... God bless and peace...

Raelyn
I'm here because my son is here, but I have decided it is best for myself and him if I leave to pursue a better career. As I stated before I'm assuming your husband is in a six figure medical career. I work as a sales and business development manager, but like most companies here in Spokane it is very small. Healthcare is the only field that pays any money in Spokane. I'm under 30 and hungry and Spokane is not the town to be in if that is the case. I'm moving to Louisville, KY at the end of the month. I have two job offers there plus I am from KY originally. You can also say in one breath Louisville, KY has companies like YUM Brands, UPS, GE Products, Zappos Shoes Distribution, Ford (two manufacturing plants), Papa Johns, Northon Healthcare, Humana, and the Army Human Resources Command all headquartered there. You would be stammering and stuttering for a long time trying to think of one Spokane company to match any of those names. Not to mention any company that ships any large amount of product has a huge distribution center in Louisville because 60% of the US population can be reached in one days drive from there.

As far as myself not liking Spokane I think your opinion of it would be different too if you had to live here at $45 K a year or less. If you can make decent money here, Spokane is great. You can live in a great neighborhood at a relative low cost of living. I myself have rented a home in Northwood for five years. I would like to own a home, but again with what jobs pay here I would be looking at 10 years out, and renting in a place like North Central Spokane, Hilyard, or some other undesirable part of town.

If you were to move here as a single parent as you were originally wanting to do I doubt you would be enjoying any beauty of Spokane, but would be rudely awakened with the ugly truth of the city. It's low income, with no hope or desire for growth. Now in 10 years when all of the Baby Boomers are dead or retired Spokane might be singing a different tune if they can't continue to suck people in here for less money to run what business they do have here.

I'm at 17 days and counting now until I am out of here!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,408 times
If you want to return to Spokane , Do it, follow your heart , God will take care of you and your children, just trust Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area