Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
after visiting, I'd say the stress is more on the SPO than the can, and that actually makes it a little easier for me to say.

SPOcan
Nope, it's SpoCAN. Also sometimes called, mostly affectionately, Spokaloo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM

33 posts, read 128,559 times
I've heard the Spo-Cane pronunciation alot, but my brother-in-law was here from Australia a couple of months ago & he had a new one, to me at least.....just couldn't get him to stop pronouncing it Spock-ann. Drove me bananas!!

Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Nope, it's SpoCAN. Also sometimes called, mostly affectionately, Spokaloo...
nope, I've been listening really closely to radio and people....it's not as simple as SpoCAN.

Its a very strange pronunciation and you can hear it in the jewel song. There is a stress on the Spo but it's short, more like a SpaCan

Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
With around 50 years association and residence in Spokane and area, I'd say SPO-can is more commonly heard...not that there's a great deal of difference between it and Spo-CAN as the two syllables are nearly even, with little emphasis on either.

Lindsey (original poster), Spokane is an easy Washington name to say. You need to try these towns or items on for size--Steilicoom, Puyallup, geoduck, Snoqualmie, Sequim, Chelan, Chewelah...shoot, even a simple one like Cheney has caused people problems...

Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,054 times
we can blame all this on the Native Americans. Even Spokane Falls Community College has a building named sn-w'ey'-mn, which I have not even attempted to get right

Old 10-22-2010, 04:04 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Spokompton.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:28 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
With around 50 years association and residence in Spokane and area, I'd say SPO-can is more commonly heard...not that there's a great deal of difference between it and Spo-CAN as the two syllables are nearly even, with little emphasis on either.

Lindsey (original poster), Spokane is an easy Washington name to say. You need to try these towns or items on for size--Steilicoom, Puyallup, geoduck, Snoqualmie, Sequim, Chelan, Chewelah...shoot, even a simple one like Cheney has caused people problems...
Here's help for two of them:

Seattle Mariners / Edgar & The Rookies on Vimeo

STILL-i-kum (CD blacks out the word I put at the end originally )
SNO-qual-ME
SQUIM
SH-lan
CHuh-WE-LUH
Chee-knee (rhymes with wienie, not like Dick Cheney).

Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Not that it really matters all that much as long as we don't say Spocaine , but I've been running the dialect through my head, and I still think if you ask somebody from Spk where they're from, they'll say SpoCAN, but within a sentence (such as "wanna go to the Spokane Falls?" or "Spokane Valley") the sentence cadence kicks in, and you'll hear SPOcan. But what do I know?--I've only visited every summer for 7 years...

Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM

97 posts, read 1,229,087 times
I could give you guys some Cajun towns to try to pronounce...but that would just be mean.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Chee-knee (rhymes with wienie, not like Dick Cheney).
I have Oregon relatives who had trouble with this word back in the '60s--they kept wanting to call it "she-ney".

For the last decade or more, it seems to get said a lot like our former VP's last name...and I then get accused of pronouncing his name wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area