Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 10:09 AM

67 posts, read 185,482 times

Advertisements

and "Spokompton".
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:11 AM

67 posts, read 185,482 times
A pronunciation hint: the local humane society is called "Spokanimals".

Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Here are the western names my easter relatives love to mispronounce:

Ore-GONE
Nev-AH-da
Color-AH-do
Boizhee (Boise)
and of course...Spo-KANE.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 AM

159 posts, read 354,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Idaho people can be unfriendly.
Sorry to hear that. I try to be friendly and welcoming to visitors to my town no matter where they are from.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
Sorry to hear that. I try to be friendly and welcoming to visitors to my town no matter where they are from.
Just a tongue-in-cheek observation. I appreciate your friendliness.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,776 times
HAHA, I was just in the Denver airport and heard numerous instances of "cane" bandied about as well as different levels of emphasis on the individual syllables to "Spo" and "cane".

Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
As far as the English language goes there are all sorts of exceptions. Most Americans horribly mutilate the language and in fact extra spellings are being added to the dictionary just to satisfy them. After all, if everyone in the world is wrong, doesn't that make them right?

Now to the question. Ending words with 'e' can both sometimes be silent and sometimes be enunciated. Usually adding the 'e' at the end will change the pronounciation of the letter preceeding it. A few examples;

-Paste, waste, chase, case, lace, mace, face, taste, live, give, strive, flame, dame, name
These words without the 'e' would sound more like;
-Pahst (past), wahst (rhyming with fast), chas (closer to Chaz), lack, mac (or mak), fak, (exception here, it would sound the same - tAst), it can go two ways -Liv or l-eye-v, .. .you seeing any patterns?

So in short, the way it is spelled (not spelt), it would be pronoucned Spo-caine. As a previous poster mentioned, Spokan would be the proper spelling in English. However, I've known English folks that have French last names that simply do not pronounce their own names correctly. That said, it IS their name and can request being addressed any which way they so desire.
I'll go on pronoucing it as Spocaine until they decide to change their names and all the locals there can go on happily thinking I am the ignorant one. I will also still pronounces it Aluminium (note the extra 'i') and spelling colour with a 'u'. As they are meant to be.

Another pet peeve for me is the pronounciation of the word "roof" by Americans. Go ahead, use the same syntax with "boot" "tooth", "spoof". Sounds mutilated!
Or "box" often spoken as "bax"... /facepalm

Old 08-24-2012, 04:04 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,205 times
Concerning the pronunciation of Spokane and non-silent/silent e's...There was a time when Spokane was called Spokane Falls and often spelled Spokan Falls...

Old 08-26-2012, 10:29 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Genius View Post
As far as the English language goes there are all sorts of exceptions. Most Americans horribly mutilate the language and in fact extra spellings are being added to the dictionary just to satisfy them. After all, if everyone in the world is wrong, doesn't that make them right?

Now to the question. Ending words with 'e' can both sometimes be silent and sometimes be enunciated. Usually adding the 'e' at the end will change the pronounciation of the letter preceeding it. A few examples;

-Paste, waste, chase, case, lace, mace, face, taste, live, give, strive, flame, dame, name
These words without the 'e' would sound more like;
-Pahst (past), wahst (rhyming with fast), chas (closer to Chaz), lack, mac (or mak), fak, (exception here, it would sound the same - tAst), it can go two ways -Liv or l-eye-v, .. .you seeing any patterns?

So in short, the way it is spelled (not spelt), it would be pronoucned Spo-caine. As a previous poster mentioned, Spokan would be the proper spelling in English. However, I've known English folks that have French last names that simply do not pronounce their own names correctly. That said, it IS their name and can request being addressed any which way they so desire.
I'll go on pronoucing it as Spocaine until they decide to change their names and all the locals there can go on happily thinking I am the ignorant one. I will also still pronounces it Aluminium (note the extra 'i') and spelling colour with a 'u'. As they are meant to be.

Another pet peeve for me is the pronounciation of the word "roof" by Americans. Go ahead, use the same syntax with "boot" "tooth", "spoof". Sounds mutilated!
Or "box" often spoken as "bax"... /facepalm
I think I may be feeding a troll here, but I'm all for education:

You use your first post to revive a 2-year old thread and rag on Americans and the American language? Everybody (south of your border) knows that the way Spokane is spelled, it would automatically require a "caine" pronunciation. That where the confusion comes in, and it doesn't make the "caines" right. Languages are living entities. There is no such thing as "meant to be," in an etymological context, only convention. The American language absorbs words from other languages and, according to the time and place, either adapts them to a traditional American pronunciation (such as: LaBoeuf becomes LaBeef), or adopts the pronunciation of the other language (Spokane becomes Spokan). Spokane is the name of an Indian tribe, calling themselves SpoCAN, written Spokane.

Big Sky Developments > Communities
Quote:
Spokane >> The city was settled in 1871 as "Spokan Falls" (without an 'e' at the end), drawing on the Native American tribe known as the Spokane, which means "Children of the Sun.”[6] The city's name is often mispronounced "Spo-CAIN", while the correct pronunciation is "Spo-CAN". Spokane's official nickname is the 'Lilac City', named after the flowers that have flourished since their introduction to the area in the early 20th century.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:46 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
It seems incomplete without the "e" imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area