Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 6,154 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from Kansas to Spokane in July. My husband has a new job there so we have to move. I have lots of questions. I have been poring over these message boards ever since we decided to move. We already have found a rental and are going to be in the Mead School district. Our daughter will be 10 and our son will be 12.

Does anyone know of any violin or cello teachers in Spokane area? My daughter has been taking lessons since she was 5 and my son since he was 9. We would really like to continue these lessons.

My son has been accelerated for math class since he was in 1st grade. He has been moved ahead a grade for math every year. Have you heard of anyone having this done-how are the gifted programs there?

Does every child get bussed to school? I am used to taking and picking my kids up every day, so just wondering about that.

My daughter is also involved in a very competetive softball league and has played volleyball (and gone to camps) since 2nd grade. Can anyone let me know if there are places to check into these two sports. I know she can start playing volleyball at the school this next school year, but just wondering about community wide leagues for both these sports.

Also wondering what all the stay at home moms do there. This is the first time I will be staying home, so I really want to find things to keep me busy! I want to wait to look for a job until the kids are really settled in. I am an early childhood special education teacher and teacher of the visually impaired; hopefully I can find something around Spokane when I am ready!

I am very sad to be leaving Kansas-I have lived here my whole life. However, we are excited for the opportunity this is giving my husband. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kufan22 View Post
We are relocating from Kansas to Spokane in July. My husband has a new job there so we have to move. I have lots of questions. I have been poring over these message boards ever since we decided to move. We already have found a rental and are going to be in the Mead School district. Our daughter will be 10 and our son will be 12.

Does anyone know of any violin or cello teachers in Spokane area? My daughter has been taking lessons since she was 5 and my son since he was 9. We would really like to continue these lessons.

My son has been accelerated for math class since he was in 1st grade. He has been moved ahead a grade for math every year. Have you heard of anyone having this done-how are the gifted programs there?

Does every child get bussed to school? I am used to taking and picking my kids up every day, so just wondering about that.

My daughter is also involved in a very competetive softball league and has played volleyball (and gone to camps) since 2nd grade. Can anyone let me know if there are places to check into these two sports. I know she can start playing volleyball at the school this next school year, but just wondering about community wide leagues for both these sports.

Also wondering what all the stay at home moms do there. This is the first time I will be staying home, so I really want to find things to keep me busy! I want to wait to look for a job until the kids are really settled in. I am an early childhood special education teacher and teacher of the visually impaired; hopefully I can find something around Spokane when I am ready!

I am very sad to be leaving Kansas-I have lived here my whole life. However, we are excited for the opportunity this is giving my husband. It's going to be an adventure, that's for sure!

Sounds like you should be moving to the Spokane South Hill, although Mead is also good. All the Moms seems to hang out at the Rockwood Bakery and talk about their tennis.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:59 PM

93 posts, read 329,447 times
Welcome to Spokane.

You could consider joining the Spokane Club - memberships are a relative bargain for families and have many "free" activities through which you could stay busy as well as meet other stay-at-home moms.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jey K View Post
Welcome to Spokane.

You could consider joining the Spokane Club - memberships are a relative bargain for families and have many "free" activities through which you could stay busy as well as meet other stay-at-home moms.

Thanks for your reply! I will be sure to check out the Spokane Club when we get there. To the above poster regarding tennis: I'm not much of a tennis player

Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM

649 posts, read 1,762,319 times
spokane parks department has year round classess and activites for all age groups including people with disabilites; here's the website: Spokane Parks & Recreation Official Website: (http://spokaneparks.org/Parks/page/43/ - broken link) they have several facilities throughout the city and also have lots of outdoor activities that are open to the public. lots of art classes and different sports plus dance classes that are offered at reasonable prices compared to private classes. great way to meet people and challenge yourself. check it out.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks-I had thought about checking them out as well for myself. Do 10 year old girl's softball and volleyball teams run through the parks and rec or are they through private places?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM

the parks department.....
spokane valley is a seperate city from spokane and has it's own parks department; here's a link to it's web site: http://www.spokanevalley.org/content...4/465/773.aspx i think most people don't realize that spokane and spokane valley are seperate cities, even though you think when you're here it's all one city, there's no visible divide and it use to be all one city.

Last edited by redhead; 02-22-2011 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 PM

oh and the Spokane Club............eeek...it's way expensive....but sign up fee......so if you've got the $$$$ it's great, if not then the parks department or YMCA is the best bet. i've always used the parks department in any city i've lived because their class and activity fees are substantialy less then any private venue.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Here's a list of the classes/activites the parks department has for winter 2011: Bicycling, Canoe Trips ,Cross Country Ski, Kayak Touring ,Hiking & Walking, Outdoor Program Private Group Tours , Rafting, Ski and Snowboarding , Skill Classes, Snowshoe Trips. not bad, so if you're new here then this is a great way to get involved and get active and meet people.[/LEFT]

Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 AM

Thanks redhead! All the information you've given has been really helpful. When I looked at the Spokane Club information, it looked like a country club to me. We are really not that rich!! We will be looking at the parks and rec department when we get there! And thanks for distinguishing between Spokane and Spokane Valley! I've only been to Spokane once and it was a very quick trip just to find a house to rent, so figuring out the layout is going to take me a little while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area