Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
You may not want to move to Spokane Valley. It's the most pale city in a generally pale state.

Census 2010 | New census figures show the changing face of the state | Seattle Times Newspaper
Keep in mind that at least half of those palefaces are females.

Er, or males. Depending on one's proclivities.

Either way, there are plenty of opportunities for liaisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,866 times
Probably so, if you're of Asian descent you probably will not experience much racism in Spokane. I can only speak from my own experience. Having Native American blood in me I experienced a lot of racism in Spokane. I would say particularly because some of my facial features are strong. It was like night and day the way I was treated in public places relative to whites. I began to think it was my personality or something before I realized that it never got that far; I was treated poorly when others didn't know me from carnation and before I had even opened my mouth. I've done some research and it seems that some minorities are treated worse than others. In Spokane, it's the Native American population in my opinion. There's a lot of reasons for this like there are a large number of Native Americans relative to other minorities and there's controversy over land rights, etc between city and Indian reservations.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,963 times
Well I don't care what people are saying. In order to know how your going to feel, you must go and see yourself. I can't read all this crap...less blacks, more white,...so on so forth. B.S. I've lived in Florida, North and South Florida. Been in Lawerencville Ga, Shaker heights Oh, Greenwich Ct, Alabama, and Kentucky. I'm black and I don't think racism can be worst then these places and I've survived it. Heck most of my friends are white and bf...so whatever ppl are saying about Seattle. **** up and keep living..ugh Racism is everywhere even among one another (same race).

Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,944 times
Default racism in SPokane

Racism in Spokane is alive and active. Most people that are minorities can tell you about spokane that have lived here more than 10 years or so. I was born and raised in Spokane I am 42 years old. Racism here is not like some people deal with in the south or extrememly open for everyone to see. I am a black man with a clean record, raised in church...never tried drugs, alcohol, nor do I use profanity. So, why was it when in high school, my name was on a gang list? No, gangs were anywhere to be found in the school. Why, when I drove a nice car did I get pulled over 104 times since I recieved my drivers liscense. Why, was I called the "N" word on the job by several different employees? Why, even in the news people point in the area where blacks live as a bad neighborhood. Why? did SPokane elect a Black principal in the schools first history in the late 80's because of racial tensions. Why were there serveral town meetings with the police deptartment and naacp at the east central community center. I tell you who ever reads this...Have you ever gone to the store and been followed, have you sat in many eating places and was ignored, have you ever on many occasion gone to the store and hand the cashier your money and you hold your hand out for change and they look right at you and place it on the counter? Have you ever worked at a company and been pulled over in the company vehicle on many occasions asked if the vehicle was stolen. Have you ever been in line at a dance club and all blacks were pulled out of line because the weekened before a black person was involved in a conflict. So, why deny all that were in line entrance? Have you ever had teachers call you the "N" word. The list goes on and all, all real life. YES racism is bad in Spokane, however, it is getting a little better.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusa View Post
im single asain male, maybe relocating to spokane for job reasons. im a bit concerned about hate crimes i read about in local papers. will i exprience overt hostility, or people in spokane tolorant of other cultures?

I'd worry more about the tweaked out zombies roaming the earth...and Spokane!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM

20 posts, read 32,077 times
I just moved I did not witness any racist act so far .
Moreover lots of racist people ( I am just talking about the white) are not against all the foreigners or all the minorities , some people can have a friend who is not white but have at the same time racist comment/thought against other ones because of stereotype about welfare , violence , laziness etc....

So as a young working professional I guarantee you should be fine.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnfletcher View Post
Racism in Spokane is alive and active. Most people that are minorities can tell you about spokane that have lived here more than 10 years or so. I was born and raised in Spokane I am 42 years old. Racism here is not like some people deal with in the south or extrememly open for everyone to see. I am a black man with a clean record, raised in church...never tried drugs, alcohol, nor do I use profanity. So, why was it when in high school, my name was on a gang list? No, gangs were anywhere to be found in the school. Why, when I drove a nice car did I get pulled over 104 times since I recieved my drivers liscense. Why, was I called the "N" word on the job by several different employees? Why, even in the news people point in the area where blacks live as a bad neighborhood. Why? did SPokane elect a Black principal in the schools first history in the late 80's because of racial tensions. Why were there serveral town meetings with the police deptartment and naacp at the east central community center. I tell you who ever reads this...Have you ever gone to the store and been followed, have you sat in many eating places and was ignored, have you ever on many occasion gone to the store and hand the cashier your money and you hold your hand out for change and they look right at you and place it on the counter? Have you ever worked at a company and been pulled over in the company vehicle on many occasions asked if the vehicle was stolen. Have you ever been in line at a dance club and all blacks were pulled out of line because the weekened before a black person was involved in a conflict. So, why deny all that were in line entrance? Have you ever had teachers call you the "N" word. The list goes on and all, all real life. YES racism is bad in Spokane, however, it is getting a little better.
Wow, I am sorry that you have experienced these terrible things, but I am a african american female who has lived in Spokane close to 20 years and have not experienced really any racism. I have had a few racial remarks from an ignorant past manager, but I haven't came across people in Spokane as terrible racist people. I know that in next state Idaho there is racism, but Spokane hasn't struck me as racist. I know it is mostly of a white population, but that did seem to be anything of importance to me when I moved here. I was raised by a white family and I have white friends, so I had a lot of dealings with that race and not have luckily came across a racial person in the mix. Like I said, I am sorry you had to deal with these things happening to you and I guess everyones case is different.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:17 AM

5 posts, read 25,815 times
Spokane isn't very diverse, but I don't see much racism around here. I don't hear about hate crimes or anything like that.
Due partially to the mukogawa campus, we actually have a decent asian population-especially those around college age.

I do not think you will have a problem if you move here I hope things go well for you

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,998 times
I'm a female Asian and just moved here last year from another country where people don't speak English very well. Basically I find people here are nice and really friendly that I couldn't ask for more.

However for the first three month when I had to used bus quite often, among many polite, sweet bus drivers who helped me a lot in many ways, there was one made me feel like I was treated differently because I'm not American, or may be not White. He even didn't stop the bus for me once and the Spokane Transport Supervisor caught him. He said sorry to me and got the bus diver stop in the High Way (I was going home to Cheney) for me.

So, yes, I would say, Racism does exit in Spokane. But it would be every where as you have to except there are many good but still some bad people anywhere. After a year living here, I am happy to say I love this place, I like people here and racism is not that big problem for a little Asian girl like me.

I hope this will help probably not for the OP but for any minority people want to move here.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 PM

286 posts, read 678,035 times
Default Pittsburgh Lack of Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No prob, man. Spokane sucks in a lot of ways, but racism is not one of them. They elected an Asian-American state senator recently, and have had a Japanese women's college extension campus on the nothwest side for twenty years.

Be prepared for probably the lousiest weather in America, though. Unless you LIKE week after week of gray overcast skies, four months of snow and a six-week summer with temps in the 100s.
Well "but for the Grace of God go thee."You could all be living in Pittsburgh,Pa.where it is so terribly gray 12 months per annum...that a colleague of mine once said and I quote..."This place is so gray that everyone should wear grey clothing,drive gray cars,have gray skin,gray grass,gray homes,gray buildings,roads dogs,cats,zoo animals,gray food everything gray to match the sky."This Physician left his burgeoning clientele,uprooted wife kids and grandparents and moved to Sarasota,Florida.He suffered from SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER{bad case}.Spoke to him recently and he is no longer depressed and moody...a changed,exceedingly happy young man!
Myself,I bought a place in Maricopa County Arizona{Phoenix}and when I am there,the endless cobalt blue skies make me quite happy.
Spokane appears nice,clean family atmosphere}family is everything,for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area