U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 AM

17 posts, read 48,809 times
[quote=Morgan86;19156123]I know this is random, but I recently 'diagnosed' myself with celiac disease. Celiac disease is way underdiagnosed in this country. (under 5% of those who have it are undiagnosed in the states) and it can cause many different autoimmune disorders.

yeah we had thought this last year and had her tested, even removed all wheat and gluten from her diet. unfortunately that wasn't the case. thanks for the idea. were leaning more towards it being a hereditary thyroid issue but we are having a hard time trying to get the doctors to order a t3, t4 test. we are going today to try and push for one as this was the only way they found her aunts hyperthyroid
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 AM

17 posts, read 48,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusquitee View Post
Sorry, this may be a little late on the uptake, but saw this thread and had to reply. If you are looking for a big change from Boone NC then Spokane is sure not the right place for you.

I am ex-military and have lived around the world. Asheville, NC is my hometown and I currently live in Spokane.

There is less to do in Spokane than WNC. Way less. There is better health care in Asheville than anywhere on the west coast. By a long shot. Boone may suck, but Asheville does not. Asheville is highly regarded for health care, one of the reasons so many people retire there. Job oportunities suck in both places, BUT the cost of living is much higher in Spokane than WNC. Wages are a bit higher in Spokane, but sales tax and the cost of food far offset that.

Two people making $9.50 an hour will starve to death in Spokane - sorry.

Spokane is very insular. It is hard to make friends if you did not grow up here and don't go to a Catholic church. People are friendly, but not involving.

The plus side, traffic is a joke here compared to the east coast. Although, people here seem to think the left lane is only for people who never wish to change lanes....

Spokane is also very isolated. To do anything outside of Spokane requires an overnight stay.

Spokane is the least diverse place on Earth. Figuratively speaking. But pretty close. It is 90+% white. And I am white - but it makes for a very boring, predictable place.

Spokane is a good place to raise kids..but since you don't have any, that is irrelevant. Also, the city is currently chopping teachers...so the already overcrowded schools are going to go downhill rapidly.

I could go on and on..but that is my initial reaction. If you want a change, move to Virgina Beach...or Charleston...or Athens, GA...or Chapel Hill, NC...Spokane will not give you what you are looking for. Sorry.
thanks for the perspective of someone from nc, but the issue is not boone, we love boone. the issue is hickory. we've thought about asheville numerous times and we may be requesting a referral to an endocrinologist there very soon. we have actually been leaning more and more to the portland, or area as it seems to be a better fit for everything we are looking for minus the big city side. we are planning a 1-2 week trip to visit areas of interest on the west coast, so we can get a feel for the areas. this will be the best way to determine our choice.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 2,437 times
We live in Spokane, I grew up here and my husband grew up in Alabama. We lived in Charlotte for 5 years. Spokane is not nearly as bad traffic wise. It is a quaint little town with a big town attitude. We get a lot of big name entertainers and of course the great out doors provide tons of entertainment year round. We have to move however...because of the job market. There are very few professional jobs. Hopefully you can visit and do some job hunting before moving. I begged my husband to move here and we came without a job from Charlotte. Bad move. it took him 10 months to find a job and now they closed down! We stayed with family...We are moving to Leesburg Va. It is rural but so many more job opportunities. He has a been offered a job and accepted. Good luck! it is a wonderful area except for the job market.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,181 times
I am also moving to Washington state. I lived in Boone as well. I don't know the OP's situation, but Boone is a pot smoking liberal hippie town. It has a university. There are some rednecks, but you really have to go out of your way to be around them. Anyways, my job transfer will determine the area in the state I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area