Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:35 PM

10 posts, read 52,495 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend & I are moving to Spokane, (originally from S.F. bay area) and we're wondering if anyone could tell us which areas are gay friendly or better yet which areas should we not move to? That being said we don't imparticulary stand out and are not affectionate in public but just wanted to know which ares are more liberal. I've scrolled through the threads and only found one that was partially close to my question. Any help is super appreciated as we've been doing a ton of research (already been to Spokane very briefly but LOVED it) and this is the one thing we haven't figured out. Thank you for your time and any help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 06:45 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,446 times
Browne's Addition, Peaceful Valley, Perry district, Downriver/Audubon, and the Garland district should all be comfortable for you, but really pretty much anywhere in Spokane. It's not like there's a particular area where just gay people live -- I'm sure there are gay people in all neighborhoods. You're better off picking a neighborhood based on crime stats, drug use, yard upkeep and condition of the nearby homes than whether or not there are gays living there. Welcome!!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Thank you!! Great idea, I will look into those stats as well as the neighborhoods you mentioned!! I really appreciate all of your input!!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:47 PM

968 posts, read 2,061,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLin View Post
My girlfriend & I are moving to Spokane, (originally from S.F. bay area) and we're wondering if anyone could tell us which areas are gay friendly or better yet which areas should we not move to? That being said we don't imparticulary stand out and are not affectionate in public but just wanted to know which ares are more liberal. I've scrolled through the threads and only found one that was partially close to my question. Any help is super appreciated as we've been doing a ton of research (already been to Spokane very briefly but LOVED it) and this is the one thing we haven't figured out. Thank you for your time and any help!!
I would probably add the South Hill. Many are professionals and not from Spokane, so would be more open.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM

649 posts, read 1,768,141 times
i just moved out of the south hill and moved to the north part of spokane and cut my car gas bill by two-thirds! and don't have to drive the hills in the snow and ice! the garland district is very centrally located with nice old victorian and craftsmen homes that are well kept.it's right near northtown mall and all the box stores are nearby. it also has a great used bookstore and a couple nice unique resturants. it just doesn't have the rep of the south hill nor the high priced homes but still has its charm. five-mile area off of francis is great as well.....the north hill, five-mile, northtown, shadle neighborhoods all are close to downtown and nice neighborhoods, but medium priced home....this is why i prefer this area over the southhill or the valley. i'm within 2-3 miles of everything i need. pleasant valley is another well kept secret of spokane and it's very country feel but essentiallly downtown and has the river right there and peoples' park for hiking and exploring the river. i agree that any place in spokane is safe for gays, just stay away from hillard and the area east of division, north of the freeway to include hillyard area. pretty run-down. good luck and welcome to spokane, it's a great place to live!

Old 05-15-2011, 05:02 PM

Awesome. Thank You so much, very helpful and much appreciated!!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:43 AM

sunnylin where in montana are you; i lived there for awhile; how do you like it?? i found montana to much much different then its myth. what is your experience?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Hi Redhead sorry it's taken so long to reply... Right now I live in Bigfork, Montana and although it's beautiful it's toooooo small a town for me and lacking in culture and diversity. That was to be expected though since Bigfork is so far removed... as in most of Montana. Everyone is pretty friendly and helpful and it's nice for people that like living out in the middle of nowhere. I'm a city girl so although it's been great it's just too extreme a lifestyle for me... I think living out in the middle of the wilderness is okay if I have shopping and culture not that far away which is why Spokane seems like the perfect fit.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM

ya sunny that's what i discovered too. with shopping within a reasonable distance would then make the area not "remote"........
but people who what a break from the negs of city life find once they are away from it they discover all the many ++++ of city life.....just having "variety" makes life more interesting; imo.
ya and spokane is a great blend of "big" city and "country"......
but you're still contending with not so great weather though.......
like today i still had to turn the heat on in my house and we've have only a few sunny days in the past month with clouds, and rain forcasted for the next week!!! YUK!!!!
but still not as harsh weather as where you're at though
yet i do remember where i was at in montana the sun was out even though it might be cold! but you can't have it all right......
.i've found anywhere where the weather is great then you pay for it with higher cost of living and all the negs of big city living.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:38 PM

30 posts, read 92,492 times
Default Welcome!

Welcome Sunny! Not sure if you are still looking for input, but I thought I would throw my two cents in and say that I would agree with the suggestions previously made. Also, as a general rule of thumb people tend to be more conservative the farther north that you go. I live on the south hill and it is fairly liberal.

That being said, I am quite conservative myself, but I think that I can honestly say that there is a live and let live mentality in most of Spokane. I would hope that you would feel just as comfortable living next to me as you would an avid Obama supporter. To be truthful, I frequently talk to my neighbors and enjoy their company and I honestly don’t know which side of the aisle most of them are on. I would truly hope that I am correct in saying that if someone here is enough of a jerk to intentionally make you uncomfortable or close minded enough to unintentionally make you uncomfortable they are in the vast minority.

Hope you enjoy it here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area